Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThizz
AspiringPsychoactiveCultivator
Male

Loc: London, England.
Using a plastic (vegetable?)Steamer for PF jar sterilization?
    #8093757 - 03/02/08 01:41 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

Hey all, I'm new to growing Shrooms and I'm also new to these forums(although I've been reading for some time).

After some weeks of research I have decided to try my hand at growing some Mushrooms as I'm too worried about picking the wrong ones or buying from dealers(they could be any kind of mushroom, even toxic ones!).

I have decided to grow some P.Cubensis 'Golden Teacher' via the PF Tek method and have everything I need at hand or on order.

I dont own a Pressure Cooker and it would be impractical for me to invest in one due to living in a small apartment with little income. I do however have a 'Vegetable' steamer. It is really to steam anything(fish, meat, veg etc), but I call it a vegetable steamer as that is all I ever use it for and it is unlike a normal 'hob' steamer in that it is a fully contained unit(reservoir with heating element at the bottom with several compartments held up on racks which the steam passes in order to cook the food). It looks like this but is taller and a different brand:

I was wondering if I could use this to sterilize PF jars seeing as it is pretty mush the same principle as using a 'big pot' as in the original PF Tek method, but I wanted to make sure I dont waste my (£17!) syringe and jars to contamination.

Also, if it is suitable, how long should I steam the jars for via this method?

(BTW, I know there are many threads on using vegetable steamers, but they all seem to be about metal ones you place on the cooker, this is a self contained plastic one which is why I am asking. Sorry if it has been answered before but I have searched several times and found nowt).

Thanks a lot,

T.K.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledumbfounded1600
Stranger

Re: Using a plastic (vegetable?)Steamer for PF jar sterilization? [Re: Thizz]
    #8093787 - 03/02/08 01:48 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

no

OfflineBroooodward
Nobody calls melebowski.
Male

Loc: nebraska
Re: Using a plastic (vegetable?)Steamer for PF jar sterilization? [Re: dumbfounded1600]
    #8093809 - 03/02/08 01:56 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

check out ebay or thrift shops for pc's. You can getsmall basic ones really cheap, just make sure the gasket is good and that you can fit a few jars in it.

--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using a plastic (vegetable?)Steamer for PF jar sterilization? [Re: Broooodward]
    #8093907 - 03/02/08 02:38 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

hmm, I would say yes but I am not sure. I have one i will run it with the thermometer in it for a bit and see how hot it gets.
I would add 30 mins to the usualy 60 if i were to try it.
The jars do not have to be in the water.
Hmmmm. I will whip up a cake tomorrow

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineJadis
..Just waituntil you seethe bats!
Male User Gallery
Re: Using a plastic (vegetable?)Steamer for PF jar sterilization? [Re: tahoe]
    #8094255 - 03/02/08 04:34 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

just use a large pot with a lid + stove?

--------------------
Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die?
And instead of saying all of your goodbyes,
Let them know you realize that life goes fast.
It's hard to make the good things last.
You realize the sun don't go down;
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinnin' round.

Offlinekilleriq
EU Shroomer
Male User Gallery
Loc: EU
Re: Using a plastic (vegetable?)Steamer for PF jar sterilization? [Re: Jadis]
    #15767286 - 02/06/12 06:11 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

does someone actually use vegetable steamer? if so what are the steps and for how long it needs to be steamed?

Thanks

--------------------
Trade List

Offlinecrimsondrac
Stranger
Re: Using a plastic (vegetable?)Steamer for PF jar sterilization? [Re: killeriq]
    #15767589 - 02/06/12 09:05 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Tahoe spoke true.  You need to put a Thermometer in there to see how hot it gets.  I believe you need to get around 160-165 deg F. If the food steamer gets stuff that hot, you should be good.  If not, a big pot with some jar lids work great.

OfflineGalaxie500
Rat Bastard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the road from Jesco
Re: Using a plastic (vegetable?)Steamer for PF jar sterilization? [Re: crimsondrac]
    #15767605 - 02/06/12 09:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You don't need a PC for PF Tek... The steam-sterilization method works perfectly fine, big pot with a bit of water in the bottom, tight lid with any vent holes covered, and 90 minutes. I never had one contaminate when I had to steam sterilize.

--------------------
Tact is for those who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck