Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement
    #807882 - 08/09/02 06:57 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It's not as far-fetched as you might think... Check out the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement web site and let me know what you think. Be sure to check out the big Philosophy and Religion section they have about the movement.

Personally, I think the intentions are good, but extinction is not the answer.

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (08/09/02 06:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #807884 - 08/09/02 07:02 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

extinction? how about just evolution.

Offlinefindbuddha
findingforbiddenmoments,unmediatedexperience
Loc: Australia
Re: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement [Re: infidelGOD]
    #807889 - 08/09/02 07:06 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I think humans will probably mostly die off anyway, except for a few who manage to live off the land

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement [Re: findbuddha]
    #807922 - 08/09/02 07:38 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I personally hope this is what happens.

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
    #808307 - 08/10/02 04:50 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hell, I've been thinking about not procreating for some time now because quite frankly I wouldn't ever curse another human life with my genes...this just reassures me I'm making the right choice. Mad props for the site Steve. Now I not only feel better about my choice, but I also got a whole lot of other alternatives I hadn't even thought of before.

I don't actually think this will ever happen (seeing as I firmly believe we as a race will destroy ourselves long before then) but it's a novel idea none the less.

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

Anonymous

#808344 - 08/10/02 05:17 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Without reading deeply into their website, though I did look at it and read a few links, I would say that theirs is a logical conclusion the the nihilistic philosophy that has been breeding ever since Dr. Malthus started his rant.

Those that are logically consistent in their belief of the doctrine of evolution should have no fears since the biosphere is a self-correcting mechanism to ensure life on this planet as long as the environment can sustain it.

However, others that are not convinced of the factuality of the broad construal of evolution and have different philosophical predispositions, such as myself, do not think that their solution is amenable to the life and purposes of the human race.

Sounds like they are giving up.

Cheers,

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #808427 - 08/10/02 06:10 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Would I push that button? Yeah... it won't work anyways. We'll roach-it-out somehow... maybe we'll evolve. I won't be there, so I don't care. We're talking millenia.

I've heard this all many times before.
A buddy of mine is always telling people he's "Pro-Abortion"... think about it.
Not Pro-choice... Pro-Abortion.;)
It's funny, he's never really said if he prefers pre or post-natal abortion....
But knowing him and most people, I bet he's all about the latter.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

#808978 - 08/10/02 12:51 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

No, I wouldn't push that button. Anyone who's for human extinction should immediately do their part and off themselves.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement [Re: ]
    #809404 - 08/10/02 04:33 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone who's for human extinction should immediately do their part and off themselves.

This goes against the beliefs and reasonings for the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, though. They're not just saying "Humans suck, let's all kill ourselves and rid the planet of our horrible presence."

Their mission is to have a gradual extinction by choosing not to reproduce. By doing this, we can return to earth to a state of harmony and balance before the last of us die off. If we all became extinct in a short period of time, there would be tons of hazardous and toxic things left behind to hurt the earth.

Notice there is a switch on that button up in the first post. The extinction can either be fast or slow. VHEMT supports a slow extinction so we can make sure the earth has been made safe for when we leave it behind.

Here is what the website has to say about the fast and slow methods:

FAST

The carnage would be easily integrated into the food chain by scavengers and maggots, but our clever machinery could cause gigantic problems for Earth.

Major appliances like stoves and cars could be absorbed, but nuclear reactors would begin to melt down or explode and, tragically, no humans would be around to appreciate the fireworks. Without someone there to hear them, they might not make a sound. For miles around every reactor, a zone of death would exist for tens of thousands of years. Not long in Earth history, but at a time when plant and animal life has been reduced in diversity, the impact would be heavy.

Abandoned oil wells, landfills, and coal mines would eventually stop burning. Dams would fail and cause much local destruction of ecosystems. Impact would vary depending on which dam in a series broke first.

Toxic waste would migrate into the water cycle, and would eventually be dispersed throughout the planet, re-collecting in pockets. Mutations and adaptations by lower life forms would allow life to continue in spite of the poisons. However, most animals higher on the food chain would be unable to adapt fast enough.

In short, biodiversity would be set back several hundred million years. On the bright side, Earth's biosphere would soon begin to get better, reversing the direction of the past 15,000 years of human activity.

SLOW

Gradual extinction of the human race will result if zygotes of Homo sapiens never again begin cell division.

Abortion providers might be the first to notice -- happily going out of business in a few months. A worldwide panic might set in, but without reason. There would be no negative impact on the world nor on society as a whole.

Individuals' lives could change profoundly, but all for the good. Starving people would begin finding enough to eat and resources would become more plentiful. New housing would be unnecessary.

All human technology would be scaled back but could still advance. Nuclear power plants could begin to be safely decommissioned. Dams could be removed. Technology could focus on dealing with unsolved problems such as radioactive and other toxic wastes. Healing the wounds of past exploitations could become a priority, reversing the expanding deserts and shrinking forests.

Conditions for society would also improve as shortages are eliminated and our death rate drops to an unheard of low.

Domestic plants and animals could be phased out as farms and ranches are converted to ecosystems supporting wildlife and natural vegetation.

The last humans could enjoy their final sunsets peacefully, knowing they have returned the planet to as close to the garden of Eden as possible under the circumstances.

The last one out could turn off the lights.

In short, VHEMT in no way supports suicide or apathy. Rather, they support empathy for the earth we have ravaged.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #809582 - 08/10/02 05:59 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

No, I wouldn't push that button because if Mother Earth really wants us off this planet, she'll have her own natural ways of doing it.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement [Re: chodamunky]
    #809610 - 08/10/02 06:09 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm... I kinda think she's already trying her darndest.
We are just too damn smart.

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinemr freedom
enthusiast
Re: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement [Re: ]
    #809756 - 08/10/02 07:15 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Unfortunatley, their conclusion(s) are completely illogical. Not only that, they contradict themselves at every turn.

Consider this tiny bit of their philosophy. They, those that are beleivers, do not reproduce. This will lessen the number of people that come into the world, eventualy, and the earth will heal itself.

If these folks are not going to reproduce, what part of the population WILL reproduce? I would assume that it would be those that don't put the health of the earth at the top of their to-do list; like members of VHEM do. Hence, their plan will not and cannot work. They and their philosophy would be the ones to die out. Their philosophy, unless it is embraced by the masses, would not function in any context.

I did find a site who's plan would work, but those on this board are not interested in GLOBAL NUCLEAR WARFARE.

Offlinepsilorobbie
morning gloryhater :(

#809801 - 08/10/02 07:40 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

All life on earth will be gone once the sun exhausts itself so it wont matter if the Earth is saved from humans cause it will eventually be destroyed anyways.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement [Re: psilorobbie]
    #809819 - 08/10/02 07:52 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I'm too interested in the earth - it's mostly rock and lava. It's the life on earth that human beings have driven to extinction that concerns me.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisiblekneegrow
Loc: so. cal
Re: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement [Re: mr freedom]
    #812001 - 08/12/02 02:00 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

>>If these folks are not going to reproduce, what part of the population WILL reproduce?

mormons and crazy arabs.....and we wouldn't want that now would we? gotta go fast death if yer gonna do it at all.

--------------------
stayin spaced out like Dr. Octagon

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order