Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous #1

Why cant i lose weight?
    #8076476 - 02/27/08 09:38 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I'm male, 5'11", and I weigh approximately 190lbs.

Every morning I have half a cup of Old Fashioned Oats with two teaspoons of sugar and a banana.

In between breakfast and lunch I usually have a granola bar.

For lunch I usually do a subway club which is in the area of 320 cals, 6g of fat.

In between lunch and dinner I usually have a granola bar.

For dinner I have a variety of things, but its always chicken based and never more than 5 or 600 cals & low in fats.

I’m just starting to jog, and I have been jog/walking 1.5 - 2 miles a night.

I’m not losing weight, I cant get below the 189 mark. What the hell should I do differently?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous #2

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #8076488 - 02/27/08 09:41 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

You don't lose weight right away. Losing more then 2 pounds a week is unhealthy.

After a about 2 months I would say you should start noticing results. Also, don't weigh yourself every chance you get. Just weigh yourself once a week and record your weights.

Make sure you are not frying your chicken.

I would also replace those granola bars with power bars because they actually do work. I was not eating them for a week while running about 1 mile a day, when I started eating them I felt as if 1 mile was hardly challeninging and I started doing 2 miles a day. Once I stopped those power bars I was back to 1 mile.

Anonymous #3

#8076494 - 02/27/08 09:44 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

A few words of advice...
Eat the majority of your calories before dinner, not during/after.  Don't eat more than a couple hours before you go to bed.  Drink green tea and look up other ways to boost your metabolism.  Exercise in the morning/early afternoon rather than night.  Vary your food choices (don't eat the same thing every day), add some nuts and avocadoes and more fruits and vegetables.  Make sure you're getting enough omega-3s.

Losing weight can really be frustrating, especially when you hit that plateau you're on right now.  Good luck. :heart:

Anonymous #4

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #3]
    #8076696 - 02/27/08 10:46 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Might have a thyroid problem?

Anonymous #5

#8076810 - 02/27/08 11:15 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm that's really not a lot of calories. How long have you been doing this? It may take a few weeks to see results.

Are you sure you are accounting for all the calories?

-A 6" subway club has 320 calories only if there are is sauce, mayo or cheese

-Do you drink anything besides water?

-Do you add sauces or dressings to your meals?

If all these are accounted for, see a doctor. Something doesn't add up here.

Anonymous #6

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #8076870 - 02/27/08 11:36 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Don't listen to any of these guys.

There are a few reasons why you may not be losing weight:

-You aren't eating enough.
-You are not eating the right portions.
-You basicaly are not eating how you should be if you expect to get good results.

How long have you been tyring to lose weight for? If it's been more than two weeks and you still weigh the same, it means that your diet is just plain crap.

Exercise is good, get a gym membership and do weights and cardio to really shape up. The bodyfat will come of with a good diet. 2 granola bars, some oatmlea, a sub, and dinner with the family isn't going to cut it.

If yo uare serious about this, look into some carb cycling diets. This is where you will cut down your carbs 5 days a week to about 150 grams a day, lots of protein, about 30-40 grams of fat, all split up into 5 meals a day.

Thats right, 5 meals a day. This will boost your metabolism and turn your body into a fat burning machine. a granola bar does not count as a meal, and neither does a cup of oatmeal with a banana.

You may want to invest in nutricious clean such as:

carbohydrates:
-brown rice
-whole wheat bread
-whole wheat pasta
-oatmeal (u already got this)

Proteins:
-lean chicken
-learn turkey
-tuna
-whey protein

Fats:
-All natty PB
-Olive Oil

If you really want to change your body, then it's all about what you eat and how you eat it. Not how much you're eating. So clean up the diet, add some food to it, and look up "carb cycling".

Anonymous #7

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #8076896 - 02/27/08 11:43 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

wanna lose weight ?

those three should get you best friends squat , deadlift and HIIT running

youll lose it by lightspeed.

Anonymous #6

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #7]
    #8076913 - 02/27/08 11:48 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
wanna lose weight ?

those three should get you best friends squat , deadlift and HIIT running

youll lose it by lightspeed.

AND a good clean diet like I just mentioned.

Squats and deadlifts will make bulk the OP up, and without a good diet, itll wear him down, and he wont get anywhere.

Anonymous #7

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #8077026 - 02/27/08 12:24 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

yes, the more lean muscle mass the higher the caloric needs,
even when sleeping youll burn more energy
than a skinny dude.

weight training + (high intensity interval)cardio + clean diet + caloric deficy = goal

Anonymous #8

#8077110 - 02/27/08 12:49 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

haha.. all this talk about being super healthy is tiring me. being healthy is good, but who the fuck has the time to prepare and eat 5 properly balanced meals a day!? i sure as hell don't.

i dunno, perhaps i'm too pessimistic to offer advice. but i used to be the weight-loss king when i wrestled in high school. i'd drop 20-25 lbs in the first month of each season. i would lose some mad crazy water weight too. once lost 8lbs in 28 hours without resorting to bulimia or laxatives. it's my claim to fame.

your diet seems fine to me. healthier than most of america at least. work yourself harder in the gym. make sure you're working up a sweat. walking/jogging 1.5-2 miles is nothing man. sprint/jogging 3 miles will have you losing weight. jogging 4-5 miles will have you losing weight.

do pushups and situps in the morning. do them again during the day sometime. do them again randomly while you're studying, or at your office job or whatever. bored and sitting on the couch? drop and give yourself 30. just loaded up some laundry? drop and give yourself 30.

and definitely get to the gym. get a buddy to go with you. makes it easier.

Anonymous #9

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #8]
    #8077225 - 02/27/08 01:25 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

cut the sugar out of your oats

Instead of sugar, add a generous amount of ground cinnamon and a teaspoon or two of natural PB to the oats. THis is fucking tasty, and you get to skip the sugar bullshit.

Also, make the oats with skim milk, and incorporate non-fat dairy into your diet (ie: cottage cheese, skim milk, yogurt).

Almonds, lean meats, spinach are also key.

Check out High intensity interval training. Instead of just running your 2 miles or w/e, incorporate HIIT and you'll get much better results, as well as build your cardiovascular system like a pro.

Anonymous #7

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #9]
    #8077480 - 02/27/08 02:37 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

i eat 6 times a day - no problemo.

Anonymous #10

#8077853 - 02/27/08 04:18 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

im off now. im reeli tired for some reason

Remember muscle wheighs more than fat. if your joggin 1.5 - 2 miles a day then that might be why :smile:

Anonymous #11

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #10]
    #8078646 - 02/27/08 07:05 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

you eat too much

Anonymous #9

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #11]
    #8078733 - 02/27/08 07:28 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
you eat too much carbs

Anonymous #1

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #9]
    #8078806 - 02/27/08 07:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Very informative. I knew there were some health nuts here so I knew id get some good info.

Meals must to balance with my school schedule, my granola bar between meals sole purpose was to keep my metabolism from getting stagnant.

I’m not sure I could do six meals a day; I just don’t have enough time to go home that often, and I couldn’t afford to eat out that much.

Here’s what id like to do, I think im going start making my own frozen meals and incorporating some of the foods that have been recommended, I think ill ditch the oats in the morning and try to go low carb to start off my days, like an egg, turkey bacon and ham medley or something, ill aim it a 400 cals.

I’ll adjust lunch and dinner to suit my needs, right now I think breakfast is the biggest problem.

About the exercise. I’m an asthmatic and my work out revolves around my asthma. I feel my lungs adapting more and more to the heavy breathing associated with working out but im taking it slow right now, and hope to do much better in the future. With that said, im not sure I will ever be one of those people that can run 5 miles in one sitting, no matter how fit I get.

9 months ago I weighed 230lbs, and my breathing was getting so bad that I decided I needed to change things. I haven’t eaten the exact sequence of food I outlined here the entire time I have been dieting, but those are the foods I find myself eating right now.

At this point I’ll do just about anything within my means to get in shape. I guess im so discouraged because what has been working for me for the last 9 months, isn’t working any more and im unsure how to take this to the next level (or why I need to). I’m trying to juggle school with all of this so I don’t have a lot of free time to devote to myself, but im doing what I can, when I can.

I’ll definitely look into some of the things mentioned here.

Thanks for the info.

Anonymous #8

#8078869 - 02/27/08 07:56 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

well huge congratulations on making it this far. 40 lbs in 9 months is no joke. seriously, i commend you.

but speaking as someone who has been active with asthma for years, don't resign yourself to mediocrity. 5 miles really isn't that bad. it'll take training and regular treatment of your asthma, but you could most certainly run it nonstop. the most daunting barriers you'd have to overcome are mental barriers.

anyways, congratulations again and good luck with your future healthy endeavors.

Anonymous #12

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #8]
    #8079448 - 02/27/08 09:53 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

seems to me like you're at a good weight for your height, plus you have fairly healthy habits. just be persistent in your eating and exercising routine, and youll become aware of changes in a few weeks/months.

Anonymous #13

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #12]
    #8079469 - 02/27/08 09:58 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

if you wanna drop fat fast check out the velocity diet...its a cutting diet that body builders use...i had a dietician help me crunch the numbers to see how many protien shakes and what not id have to have but i ended up losing 30 pounds in 28 days...then again the day i started it i stopped cycling my creatine which dropped about 15 pounds water weight throughout the whole diet plus some HIIT, which i wouldnt advise during this diet because my body went into catabolism from the running i was doing and not having enough calories to support it...but all in all i lost alot of fat and really not much muscle...my max went down 5 pounds but that was it

Anonymous #9

Re: Why cant i lose weight? [Re: Anonymous #12]
    #8079491 - 02/27/08 10:03 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't ditch the oats in the morning. 

1> They will kick your metabolism in the ass
2> Oats are some of the best complex carbs I have found (ie: they will keep you energized for a long time / won't spike blood sugar levels, therefore your body won't store fat)
3> they are quick and easy to make, taste great
4> I'm just in fucking love with whole grain oats :awesome:

Ideally, you would want to eat the most carbs for breakfast, then a little less for lunch, and very few for dinner.  Dinner should consist of lean meats and vegetables (the greener the better -> spinach, broccoli).

You want to eat 5 or so times a day.  Don't let this overwhelm you.  What this means is 3 fairly hearty meals + 2 snacks to keep you balanced out.  The snacks should be things like almonds or fresh fruit and berries.  Avoid sugar.  Your granola bars are probably loaded with extra sugar, depending on the brand.  There are some really good ones out there, but they are kinda expensive to eat 2 a day, such as Odwalla Super Protein.  These things are fucking tasty. :yesnod:

Anyway, food for thought

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates