Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJusListen
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: HERE
To Roll or Not?
    #8050336 - 02/21/08 01:25 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, I'm new to all this, so respect that, has I go forth.

I've been lurking all over this site for a little more than a year, and yes have had successful grows, pf style/dunk-rolled, havent mastered casings, or tried a mono..YET...

I know most if not all ya'll suggest to roll in verm,
so it can get moist when u spray, an retain moisture..
this is all valuable to mushroom growth indeed, no question there...

Heres where I get this mindfuck...

If you think casing, like into trays or a mono, it will yeild more, due to more area for the mycelium network to knot up, pin etc...

Ok so thinking cakes, why roll in verm, if this, which I think does, prohibit growth in many areas, depending on how much u roll, and how coarse the verm is...

For example, in RR's video, it shows a pic, of someones cubie grow, where they maximized space in the tub, and each cake was looking dense with verm on the outer layer..now in that pic, the mushie's are onl growing from the bottom, I dont mean he didnt get a good flush, which im assuming was the first in that perticular pic.
I dont remember the strain, or if RR's video even said it, but the mushrooms were very skinny, and "stringy"..

To my piont..
am I right to say, a dunk, and no verm roll,
is potentionally better, to give the network more space to knot up?

Rolling in verm makes sense, but then doesnt.
Like I said, its a mindfuck.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJadis
..Just waituntil you seethe bats!
Male User Gallery

Re: To Roll or Not? [Re: JusListen]
    #8050357 - 02/21/08 01:38 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

you just confused the hell outta me lol. sorry ill let others chime in

--------------------
Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die?
And instead of saying all of your goodbyes,
Let them know you realize that life goes fast.
It's hard to make the good things last.
You realize the sun don't go down;
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinnin' round.

InvisibleJrsxt
Stranger

Re: To Roll or Not? [Re: Jadis]
    #8050572 - 02/21/08 06:04 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Is you rollin'? Bitch I might be.

Rolling in vermiculite is definitely a good option. It helps hold moisture and it gives a better texture to the cake. You can even put a layer of vermiculite on the top of the cake to help as well.

Offlinegaladar

Loc: in a monotub!
Re: To Roll or Not? [Re: Jrsxt]
    #8050606 - 02/21/08 06:29 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

to me, its only for moisture retention. and to initiate pinning, where ever it might be and however.

ex. many little shrooms or a few big shrooms... wieght almost usually ends up the same.

OfflineSDP
ChronicAficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: To Roll or Not? [Re: JusListen]
    #8050682 - 02/21/08 07:21 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Roll, always, no matter what.

Dunk, always. It's a sure-fire way to make sure your cakes are capable of producing the monsters you are looking for.

Rolling WILL in ALL cases add multiple benefits to your cake.

It adds major water retention ability (shrooms are 90% water. Don't want skinny shrooms? Don't let your cakes dry out by not rolling them)

It locks in moisture right at the surface of the cake, which as previously mentioned, is excellent for pinning as pins LOVE extra moist environments. They don't like mist though. 

It also adds structural support for the mycelium. The mycelium colonizes around the vermiculite and it adds support for larger shrooms. The exact effect of this benefit can be debated but the point is it will help more then it ever would hurt.

If you are worried, microwave\pressure cook your vermiculite to kill all the nasties before you use it. Make sure its not hot when you roll.

Make sure after you (dunk and) roll and place in the chamber, you mist VERY heavily to saturate the vermiculite to provide that moisture retention your lookin for.

You can't judge a method based on one grow... some strains  will just put out stingy little mushrooms. There are monsters on rolled and unrolled cakes alike.

When I did cakes, Dunk & Roll was a godsend... made EVERYTHING noticeably better.

:goodluck:

--------------------
Teonanacatl, open up my eyes
This sacrament, this prayer, beyond the world of lies
Guide me clearly through that which I dont understand
Give me strength to find the path
Help me fight any demons as you flow through me wholely
This is my prayer, that you protect me from evil, and bring me closer to peace
And open up my eyes, so i can see things as you do
Amen

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck