Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
Honey mushrooms again?
    #803259 - 08/07/02 06:26 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Well, it turns out that my last post was honey mushrooms after all. Today I went to the same general area and found these. There are a few similarities to the last pics I posted, but these look quite different as well. Are these honey mushrooms yet again? The spore prints are not showing yet on both black and white paper, but there appears to be some light brown dusting just under the gills on the stems. It may just be discoloration though. There is now some greyish green darkening on the base of the stems. Are these something different?

A shot of the underside...

Up close of a few...

Thanks
Bluemoon

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Honey mushrooms again? [Re: bluemoon]
    #803452 - 08/07/02 08:29 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I would say it's definitely Armillariella genus. But I don't know which species. It has 3 veil remains on the stem!
It doesn't look like Armillariella mellea or Armillariella tabascens that I know.

Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
Re: Honey mushrooms again? [Re: zeronio]
    #803573 - 08/07/02 10:07 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

That's whats throwing me off! And, I still can't seem to get a print. When I first saw them, they looked like they were something special. But I doubt it know.

Does anyone have Stamets book handy? He had at least 4 gyms described in the back of his book, and I remember at least two were smaller, and slightly scaly or hairy and different colors. One was more red if I remember. Even still, I doubt these are gyms either.

Thanks
Bluemoon

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

Anonymous

#803779 - 08/08/02 02:43 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #803846 - 08/08/02 03:51 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Definitely Honey Mushrooms. These are Armillaria tabescens. The "rings" on these are actually splitting of the stems, not partial veils. The rings on Armillarias are more cottony, and many of these mushrooms don't have any ring at all. The splitting of the stems is certainly interesting, though. Caused by drying, perhaps?

It's usually easiest to verify spore color with these by looking for a spore print on one of the lower caps in the cluster or on something under the cluster. For example, there's a cap in the first photo at about 9 o'clock that looks like it may have a bit of a spore print.

The guess about possible brown spores is good, because the next likely genus after Armillaria for mushrooms that look like these would be Pholiota (brown spores).

Excellent photos! Good focus, and they show the details needed for ID.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags