Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineofzeroconcern
Mindflayer

Loc: Aurora
Using desiccant (Damp Rid) inside of a food dehydrator? Best possible method yet?
    #8029397 - 02/15/08 09:56 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I've searched the forums and not found much about this subject. I'm sure people have used dehydrator, then desiccant, or desiccant then dehydrator, but I've not heard much about using desiccant INSIDE your dehydrator.

I just bought a dehydrator today, and was skimming through the manual and found this, tell me what you guys think.

Quote:

Using Desiccant

For flowers with petals, leaves, ferns, fungi, and some varieties of mosses, the best way to preserve them is to use a desiccant powder. A desiccant is a substance which absorbs moisture. It speeds the drying process, especially when used in a dehydrator, preserving vibrant colors and delicate structure of the flower. The longer the drying process, the more colors will fade. Using a desiccant in your dehydrator will allow flowers to dry in a day instead of a week or two. There are several brands of flower desiccants available from craft stores. They may seem a little expensive, but can be reused indefinitely. Silica gel is the generic name and absorbs up to 50% of its own weight in moisture. Use perfect flowers, fresh and free of moisture. Yellows and blues maintain their color better than reds or whites.

• Remove stems from flowers and insert a short 20-gauge stub wire. (Add a longer stem when arranging later.)
• Place 1/2" desiccant in bottom of containers that are no higher than 3-1/4".
• Place flat-faced flower face-down, with petals resting easily on the sand. Rounded double flowers such as roses and daffodils should be dried with their heads upwards. Flowers which are trumpet or bell-shaped should be laid on their sides.
• Gently sprinkle desiccant between the flowers and into every petal and crevice, with about 1/2" desiccant covering the top. Do not cover. When desiccant drying is done outside of the dehydrator, containers should be covered. [assuming this step is BAD and poisonous for shrooms or anything intended to be eaten, maybe put it above or below it somehow, or guarded by some kind of paper towel?]
• Place containers on the dehydrator tray. Place lid on top of dryer and plug in dehydrator. Most flowers will be totally dry in 24 hours or less.
• To test dryness, gently scrape back of the desiccantand remove one flower. Hold the flower to your ear and give it a gentle tap. If it is dry, it will sound crisp and papery.
• Remove remaining flowers by carefully pouring off desiccant, letting it fall slowly through your fingers, catching each flower and carefully removing it by its stem. Stand preserved flowers in a block of flower foam until arranged.
• Store in airtight tins until ready to use. In humid climates, protect loose-petal flowers with a light application of finishing spray to prevent moisture absorption.

But yeah, if it reduces flower time from a week (dehydrator alone) to a day (dehydrator with desiccant) then I imagine it must greatly speed up shroom drying times, from 6 - 24 hours to... shit... what, like 1 or 2 hours? Maybe? And I'm assuming that the faster you dry it, the less potency loss there is (assuming there is any potency loss at all)

--------------------
"Who can see the future? Those who create it."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using desiccant (Damp Rid) inside of a food dehydrator? Best possible method yet? [Re: ofzeroconcern]
    #8029447 - 02/15/08 10:10 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

if your dehydrator has sufficient air flow I'd wouldnt bother

OfflineRottenFruit
Lurker

Re: Using desiccant (Damp Rid) inside of a food dehydrator? Best possible method yet? [Re: ofzeroconcern]
    #8029524 - 02/15/08 10:42 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I had a friend who did this, seemed to work out well for him. Don't know specifics on how long they would take. Just that he had the rooms on a tray in his dehydrator and then would put desiccant in a breathable bag beneath them.

Also, when I got a sack from him he added some desiccant in the plastic bag...didn't hurt anything. The desiccant was in it's own bag, of course, that stuff is poisonous, isn't it?

Offlinedryness
Silica Gel Manufacturer
Male

Loc: Concord, NC US|A
Re: Using desiccant (Damp Rid) inside of a food dehydrator? Best possible method yet? [Re: RottenFruit]
    #10062696 - 03/28/09 09:36 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RottenFruit said:
Also, when I got a sack from him he added some desiccant in the plastic bag...didn't hurt anything.  The desiccant was in it's own bag, of course, that stuff is poisonous, isn't it?

Silica Gel is not poisonous, Silica Gel is non-toxic. Silica Gel packaged in cotton or a cotton fabrics is GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) and meets FDA requirements to be used in dry food packaging.

A little known fact for you, FDA allows manufactures to use up to 2% of Silica Gel as an anti-caking agent in salt, seasonings or curing mixtures.

Ok, now my legal statement. I strongly discourage and do not recommend eating Silica Gel (why would you want to anyway, trying to clinch your thirst?), Do Not Eat! :smile:

--------------------

Prevent Mold, Mildew, Corrosion, Odors or any kind of Moisture Damage with our line of products which includes: Silica Gel Desiccant Packets, Clay Desiccant Packets, Indicating Silica Gel Desiccant Packets, Dry-Packs brand Canisters, Dry-Packs brand Dehumidifier Boxes, Dry-Packs brand Moisture Absorbing Indicating Packets, and Flower Drying Crystals. We offer Free Shipping on all orders only at: SilicaGelPackets.com

EXCLUSIVE SHROOMERY.ORG COUPON CODE FOR 15% OFF YOUR ORDER: SHROOMERY

Offlinechurchofzoom
Stranger

Re: Using desiccant (Damp Rid) inside of a food dehydrator? Best possible method yet? [Re: dryness]
    #25642732 - 11/27/18 01:24 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Hey there dryness,

You have quite a few products on your webpage in your sig, what would you recommend for someone researching a large amount of biological things growing for the purpose of microscopy?

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using desiccant (Damp Rid) inside of a food dehydrator? Best possible method yet? [Re: churchofzoom]
    #25642810 - 11/27/18 02:03 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

churchofzoom said:
Hey there dryness,

You have quite a few products on your webpage in your sig, what would you recommend for someone researching a large amount of biological things growing for the purpose of microscopy?

This thread is almost 11 years old. That guy has 15 posts total, this one was from 9+ years ago and you're gonna send him your money based on an ad (that shouldn't be there) in his signature?

:goodluckwiththat:

If you just wanna give away money for nothing, I have Paypal and can take cryptos. I will send you the finest nothing you've ever seen.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Offlinechurchofzoom
Stranger

Re: Using desiccant (Damp Rid) inside of a food dehydrator? Best possible method yet? [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #25643105 - 11/27/18 04:26 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the education there 50 cent.  I wanted to know what he thought of the products he sells so I could continue growing my knowledge in my new found hobby.  Whether he had anything of value is for me to decide, not someone who hasn’t even opened the page to take a look, maybe he has a great deal on cheap non toxic reusable desiccant. 

Certainly don’t approve of breaking the rules with it being in his signature and all.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale