Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHighland
Jedi Knight

Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills.
    #8029255 - 02/15/08 09:15 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I was on viccodin for about a month for sever hip pain. When it was better to the point where I could sit without pain i stopped taking it. Now tho, my stomach is torn up! I made the mistake of drinking last night, and I swear I can feel my kidneys or liver just aching like mad.
My question is, other than water im drinking some green tea, and I put honey in it instead of sugar. Is Honey any less toxic to my aching organs than sugar? I know sugar was tearing up my stomach today so i stopped consuming it.
I have some pretty bad acid reflux and pepci, pepto, or tums just were not doing the job. So i need to detox my system. Is honey going to mess up my plans here? I know i saw a post where someone swore honey was the cure-all. but should i just skip the sweet, and just drink the green tea by itself?
Any other suggestions would help alot. I feel better than i did, im now avoiding granulated sugar, and any sort of citrus. It tears me up too.

--------------------
Shine On

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehooksbooks
Fun Guy
Male

Loc: Central, TX
Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: Highland]
    #8029294 - 02/15/08 09:29 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe splenda? Personally, I drink Guyaki yerba mate and find it to be delicious without any additional sweeteners.

OfflineHighland
Jedi Knight

Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: hooksbooks]
    #8029302 - 02/15/08 09:31 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I have never tried that. im going to have to look it up. Thanks for the advice. Cheers

--------------------
Shine On

Offlinetoomuchtv
Stranger

#8029350 - 02/15/08 09:41 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I do believe that honey is not considered a "processed" sugar (whatever that means) so its suppose to be better for you and easier on your body. I wouldn't recommend more than a about half a tablespoon per 1 cup of tea (by one cup I mean literally one measuring cup).

I really would recommend trying unsweetened tea for a day or two. I recommend Celestial Seasonings, in my opinion its the best green tea out there. They have a lot of different styles, my fav are Honey lemon ginseng, and decaf honey chamomile. Try either of those unsweetened.

Best of luck and hope you feel better.

peace and love.

OfflineKombat Frank
GREAT JOB!
Male

Loc: earth
Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: toomuchtv]
    #8029358 - 02/15/08 09:43 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

get addicted to green tea, i sure did

--------------------
ego tripping at the gates of hell

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: Kombat Frank]
    #8029375 - 02/15/08 09:48 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Kombat Frank said:
get addicted to green tea, i sure did

:thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: dill705]
    #8029517 - 02/15/08 10:38 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Green tea gives me turtle soup.

--------------------

Offlinetoomuchtv
Stranger

Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: avidpicker]
    #8030395 - 02/16/08 08:19 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with your hip?

I've been having some big pain in mine (seems to be between the tailbone and hip socket).  I can't go to the doc till march (my insurance won't be active till then :frown:)

If you're not comfortable posting it here, send me a pm.

Invisiblelesh
Stranger
Male
    #8030541 - 02/16/08 09:17 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

honey turns toxic at temps over 40 degrees centigrade so if anyone is having it in tea, only add it once the tea is at a drinkable temp.

Edited by lesh (02/16/08 09:18 AM)

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: hooksbooks]
    #8030617 - 02/16/08 09:42 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hooksbooks said:
Maybe splenda? Personally, I drink Guyaki yerba mate and find it to be delicious without any additional sweeteners.

Why don't you just tell him to drink poison? That's all artificial sweeteners are.

--------------------

Invisiblealphabeatu
Sire
Male
    #8033347 - 02/17/08 12:38 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey

never feed honey to infants under a year old
i couldnt drink green tea with honey though
Distinguishing quality honey

The high quality natural honey can be distinguished by its fragrance and taste. The best period to stock up on honey is in summer, when it is being collected in large quantities. The ripe, freshly collected, high quality honey at 20°C (68°F) flows from the knife in a straight squirt, without breaking into separate drops. After falling down the honey should form a clear hillock. A saying goes: “the honey rustles and glues like viscose”. The ripe honey is being collected from the sealed honey combs, therefore it should always be of high quality.

The honey should not lay down in layers. If this is a case, it indicates the excessive humidity (over 20%) of the product, and such a honey would not be suitable for long term preservation.

A fluffy thin layer on the surface of the honey (like a white foam), or marble-coloured and white spots in crystallized honey at the wallsides of the bottle are caused by filling of liquid honey with subsequent sealing – the air bubbles are surfacing and part of them is concentrated at the wallsides. This is an indication of a high quality honey, which was filled without pasteurization (heating).

If the honey is transparent, burning with amber-like colours, then (unless it is very fresh) it has most likely been heated and is of little value. Transparent and reluctant to thicken honey can also indicate its being a result of feeding the bees with sugar syrup or even sugar itself, which is bad both for the bees and for the honey they produce, as naturally they are supposed to feed on flower nectar.

A true honey that is at least one month old is usually of demure (not translucent) colours.

--------------------

i need names and addresses of narc members

pm for details

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #8033625 - 02/17/08 03:00 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

honey is actually very good for you.. in moderation
a few things to remember though... as already mentioned in this thread don't apply honey to extremely hot tea.. wait until it's at a drinkable level as it can be toxic at a certain temperature.
Raw honey is best. Don't get that processed shit. Find the raw kind.. with the comb in it and everything. You can tell because it's super thick.. almost like the consistency of peanut butter.. you have to almost spread it with a knife.

--------------------

Invisiblealphabeatu
Sire
Male
Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: Shroomism]
    #8033769 - 02/17/08 05:53 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

i just got back from the supermarket and got some manuka honey and i was pissed off,this one www.activemanuka.com

the only one they had at the supermarket was 5+ but its site shows 6+,
seems like a scam,it was double the price for a lessor amount too

it looked really dark like molasses and when i got home it was the jar that has been coloured dark :mad2: but it still has a more wilder taste and drips in a 'squirt' without droplets

they had a 'no name' brand there that actually had a chunk of the wax/honeycomb in it but the honey looked pale,nowi wished id bought that one

im wondering if the anti-oxidants from the wax/honeycomb would seep into heat processed honey if thats what theyve done?

i dont live far from farms that sell honey so im heading to one of those this week

i never knew that honey turned toxic over 40deg c though and thinking back i did get sick years ago after putting honey in hot milo

--------------------

i need names and addresses of narc members

pm for details

Offlinetoomuchtv
Stranger

Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: alphabeatu]
    #8034502 - 02/17/08 12:23 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I think this heating honey over 40 is bunk. I've never heard of such and thing and can't find anything online about it. Unless someone can provide me a link to prove otherwise, I"m calling BS.

Everyday I put honey in my near boiling water for tea. I often add honey to my rice while it is boiling. Most honey is pasteurized (heated to 160 degrees and held there), this would make the bulk of honey on the market 'toxic'.

I call BS.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #8034532 - 02/17/08 12:30 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

toomuchtv said:
I think this heating honey over 40 is bunk.  I've never heard of such and thing and can't find anything online about it.  Unless someone can provide me a link to prove otherwise, I"m calling BS.

Everyday I put honey in my near boiling water for tea.  I often add honey to my rice while it is boiling.  Most honey is pasteurized (heated to 160 degrees and held there), this would make the bulk of honey on the market 'toxic'.

I call BS.

Yea, what the hell?  I've been adding honey to my hot tea and milk drinks for years... please provide documentation, as if this is a legitimate concern, well, then I'm concerned!  :crazy:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Invisiblemayfly
Female

Loc: planet home
Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #8034902 - 02/17/08 02:22 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Visionary Tools said:
Quote:

hooksbooks said:

Why don't you just tell him to drink poison? That's all artificial sweeteners are.

QFT.

If you want to use an artificial sweetener, try Stevia. Or you could use other natural forms of sweeteners, like pure maple syrup. I don't drink green tea with any kind of sweetener, though, so I dunno, that might be disgusting. If you're drinking a good quality green tea (loose leaf should be a given here, organic is a big plus) you shouldn't really need any sweeteners, although often the first pot made from the leaves tastes really bitter, so you may want to make tea, then strain the liquid off and reuse the leaves. I wouldn't bother trying that with a poor to average quality tea though, since it would just get really weak.

--------------------
"The important thing to remember: if we ship all our fat-bottomed girls off to foreign countries, the terrorists win."

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Green tea and Honey question. Too many pills. [Re: geokills]
    #8035298 - 02/17/08 08:25 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Allright I found a couple of links about the hot honey stuff. It seems that this belief stems from Ayurvedic theory, a classic medical science from India. For some of the other "Do's and Don't's", check out: http://www.kurma.net/faq/ask44.html

I still don't think that it's detrimental to human health to eat hot honey, only perhaps not as beneficial since natural enzymes are destroyed during the heating process. And putting honey into room temperature tea? Give me a break, not only would it take a long time to mix in, but I like my tea hot more often than not!

Quote:

"The best honey is in the uncut honey combs. After being pumped out from there it is very vulnerable, and the main losses of quality take place during preservation and distribution. Heating up to 37°С causes loss of nearly 200 components, part of which are antibacterial. Heating up to 40°С destroys the invertase - the main bee enzyme, thanks to which the nectar becomes honey; heating up to 50°С turns the honey into caramel (the most valuable honey sugars become analogous to synthetic sugar). Generally any larger temperature fluctuation (10°С is ideal for preservation of ripe honey) causes decay."

Source as provided by Wikipedia

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains