Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offliner311ik
n00b
Male

Loc: Mi
Why Does Uncolonized Grain Contam
    #8016766 - 02/13/08 09:37 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

if you spawn it?

i dont have any problems, and i havent run into this one yet, just curious why it happens.

excuse my ignorance, but it seems to me that it would just colonize with the straw.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why Does Uncolonized Grain Contam [Re: r311ik]
    #8016916 - 02/13/08 10:12 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

The following is a logical conclusion of mine. I don't state it to be all correct, so better wait for someone who does know for sure to tell you :wink:

Beside the wanted mushroom spores, there are several other types of mold spores and bacteria in your grains (although you have sterilized it). As long as you don't work with laboratory sterility, there are alway several other organisms in there.
The cube mycelium has to "fight" for the nutrients it needs and therefore it's vulnerable for infections, because it's trying to "conquer" as much territory as possible i.e. it grows.
Once the whole spawn is colonized the mycelium is a lot more resistant to infections, because it can concentrate on fighting them, without having to fight for nutrients.
It's like an army that's attacked by the enemy. Holding the lines is possible while fighting forward at the same time, is almost impossible.

Offlineasknoquestions
Stranger

Re: Why Does Uncolonized Grain Contam [Re: Fahkface]
    #8017058 - 02/13/08 10:49 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

It's the same concept that applies to your body. That's what I find so remarkable about mushroom mycelium. Generally you don't get infections on your skin/internally unless there is a break in your skin. This is because a whole body has mechanisms to fight off infection. It's hard to infect a substrate with something after it has been colonized by something else.

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: Why Does Uncolonized Grain Contam [Re: r311ik]
    #8017196 - 02/13/08 11:28 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I think its also because if your jar doesn't fully colonize, its possible there are contaminants in the jar. A bacterial infection for example, preventing the jar from full colonization.
So when you spawn the jar to a larger substrate, you're also spawning the contaminant, and then you might end up with a worthless bulk project.

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why Does Uncolonized Grain Contam [Re: DragonChaser]
    #8017440 - 02/13/08 12:41 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

This could be the case if you have jars going one that won't fully colonize, not even after two month or what ever.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate