Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejonogt
Jon
Male User Gallery
darkness requirement for LCs...?
    #8002376 - 02/09/08 08:34 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I've been tinkering with getting started with these for about a week now. I made 3 with karo syrup and they started but they are growing extremely slow and clumpy. I made the mistake of using glass shards as the means to break the mycelium up as they grew, and it just doesn't work well. I just started 2 new ones with honey and each has a nice octagonal magnetic stir bar in it, and they are LOADED with clumps of spores that I'm getting broken up nicely. real excited to see how those start to develop.

anywho my main concern was how dark of an environment do these need to be in? I've been keeping them in my closet that stays shielded from probably 95% of light so that you essentially can't see a foot in front of ur face, but it's a bit of a hassle always making sure i keep my closet shut. is it ok for them to be exposed to a little light sometimes, or do they really need to stay in these conditions?

thanks for the help
-Jon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleflavoraid
now with twicethe ketamine andopiates!
Male
Re: darkness requirement for LCs...? [Re: jonogt]
    #8002383 - 02/09/08 08:36 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think you should be seeing clumps of spores.

--------------------
coda said:
imachavel, Man you really need to do some reading, the amount of bullshit you put into almost every single one of your posts is absolutely astounding.

Invisibleshymanta
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

#8002411 - 02/09/08 08:43 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

In nature, mycelium grows under ground where its dark. Light is one factor that triggers fruiting. The darker the better. Your situation sound fine. If you find you need light around your LCs, get yourself some black cloth (well laundered) and drape it over your jars to keep out light.

Offlinejonogt
Jon
Male User Gallery
Re: darkness requirement for LCs...? [Re: shymanta]
    #8002543 - 02/09/08 09:18 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

the spores were clumped in the syringe. i read that was normal on many different threads, and they have really broken up quite well on the stirrer. my other ones had them too and they colonized. just very slowly and in dense pieces of myc, which is why i think this should fix the problem. the stir plate will function just fine with the jars up to a pretty aerobic vortex without splashing the polyfil, so i'll probably put it at that once a day until they are ready.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8002846 - 02/09/08 10:09 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

There is no reason whatsoever to keep growing mycelium in darkness. Normal room lighting will have zero effect.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinejonogt
Jon
Male User Gallery
Re: darkness requirement for LCs...? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8003664 - 02/10/08 04:43 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

RR, i assume you are referring only to LCs? Isn't that (and the addition of more FAE) what triggers the fruiting cycle of the fugus's life? I guess I just assumed liquid cultures would work the same way if they were exposed to a significant amount of light on a regular basis. Does it just not happen without the large amts of gas exchange that is had in a terrarium?

Edited by jonogt (02/10/08 04:44 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8003878 - 02/10/08 08:39 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Light does not become a pinning trigger until full colonization, and an increase in air exchange. Prior to that, moderate light, such as ambient room light will have no effect on the mycelium, either good or bad.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck