Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMankey
Male

Sealer
    #7991069 - 02/07/08 10:35 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

This guy finally arrived in the mail. 12" seal up to 2mm thick

I can finally start using spawn bags right instead of burning the ends (Which, I might add, has NEVER been successful.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Sealer [Re: Mankey]
    #7991111 - 02/07/08 10:48 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I prefer tie wire over sealers. It allows me to open the bag later for fae, and also to re-use the bags.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleMankey
Male

Re: Sealer [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7991121 - 02/07/08 10:49 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

See, whenever I do that, I somehow end up with contamination. I've been careful on all levels, including using tyvk sleeves inside the bags while pcing.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7991301 - 02/07/08 11:41 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting I've yet to lose a substrate bag with that method after several thousand. When you remove the bag from the PC, it should have a vacuum in it. I have a bag sitting right now as a test, that was PC'd before I made my DVD last winter. The only seal is the tyvek sleeve, and it's still contaminant free. If you seal the bags prior to sterilization, you run a huge risk of the bag exploding in the pressure cooker as it cools.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleMankey
Male

#7991398 - 02/07/08 12:06 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

True, true. I would never seal it before sterilization. I try to follow your video's method to the point. I think one of my problems is that I can never find hardwood sawdust. The dust from the mills is always mixed together whenever I go down there so I just end up using soaked hickory chips, wheat bran, and gypsum. I'm wondering if I could use some of that aspen pet bedding (additive free). All I wanted for valentines day was some herecium :frown:

Edited by Mankey (02/07/08 12:08 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7991597 - 02/07/08 12:53 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

You can use the bedding, but it should be ground up into coarse sawdust sized pieces first.

Do your bags come out of the pressure cooker tightly sealed with a vacuum? Make sure if using this method that you use a PC and not a sterilizer. A sterilizer will pull a vacuum in the chamber itself, which will prevent the bags from forming their own vacuum. The result is they may contaminate when you open the sterilizer. A PC allows air to enter as it cools, thus the pressure around the bags is higher than the pressure inside the bags and a vacuum forms where you want it.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleMankey
Male

#7991877 - 02/07/08 02:07 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, granted it's not the best pressure cooker around it says pressure canner and cooker on the instruction book. It's a presto (All American's redheaded step cousin). There is definitely a vacuum when I open it up. I usually leave the bags in there for around 3 hours just to make sure I'm leaving enough time for the pressure to equalize.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Mankey (02/07/08 02:08 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7991949 - 02/07/08 02:27 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

As long as there's a vacuum in the bags themselves when you open them, the contaminant is entering after that point.

If you meant to say the vacuum is developing in the PC itself, do whatever is necessary to prevent that from happening. Remove the weight or something just as zero psi is reached.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleMankey
Male

#7992103 - 02/07/08 03:03 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, thats what I meant to say.

Offlinejung
Stranger
    #8000868 - 02/09/08 04:21 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Nice sealer. Looks just like mine, which recently went missing...in the house somewhere.

Some areas are more contaminant prone than others. I remember reading in the TMG how some ops can use crude methods of sanitation yet have surprisingly low contamination rates, whereas some high-tech facilities are plagued with problems.

Anyways, I have those pre0sealable bags. How is it that the bags will explode while cooling? I would think they would implode. Am I missing something?

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Sealer [Re: jung]
    #8001056 - 02/09/08 04:53 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

the rapid cooling causes condensation/lots of steam, which inflates the bag, least thats the way i understand it.

The first time i cooked a presealed bag, i opened the cooker right away and it inflated within seconds throwing my paper clips off. After that i decided to put a jar/can rack ontop my bags.

now I always seal my bags before pc'ing with paper clips, and then set my rack jar ontop of my bags, i always wait about 10-20 minutes before opening my cooker, and ive' never had a bag explode before but can see how it could happen.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleMankey
Male

Re: Sealer [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #8001199 - 02/09/08 05:12 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Paper clips huh? Good idea. I'm gonna try that next time... too bad I ordered from the site that must not be named who was recently named a non-sponsor.... they have my cultures backordered. :crankey:

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#8002104 - 02/09/08 07:34 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

so backorder your money

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8002180 - 02/09/08 07:50 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

When time expires and you shut off the stove, your bags are at 15psi, just like the PC is at 15psi, therefore there is no pressure differential between them.

As the PC cools, being exposed to the ambient air, it loses pressure faster than the substrate in your bags can cool. Thus, the PC is at 10 pounds for example, while the substrate bags might still be near 250F, thus still trying to maintain 15psi. The result is the bags swell up and often burst.

After they all cool down, the substrate in the bags shrinks, thus forming a vacuum in the bags, provided they're allowed to vent when there's a positive pressure differential.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisibledesertturtle
not like the others
 User Gallery

#8002246 - 02/09/08 08:05 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Seems like a pain to use bags. I simply use big pickle jars with polyfill and RTV injection ports. No need to invest in a sealer. What are the advantages with bags other than being able to moosh things around for faster colonization?

--------------------
:discorex::kickflip:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Sealer [Re: desertturtle]
    #8002933 - 02/09/08 10:23 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Large spawn bags hold more material, and they can be packed easier in to the PC, thus making better use of your available pressure cooker space. An AA921 holds ten quart jars, but each jar has less than a quart of material. The same PC can sterilze twice or more as much material when using spawn bags.

In addition, when sterilizing sawdust/woodchips, jars become a real pain in the rear. With spawn bags, you can easily make five to seven pound sawdust blocks for shiitake, oysters, etc.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinejung
Stranger
    #8003111 - 02/09/08 11:17 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I see. A plastic bag exploding substrate sounds fun, like a gag to play on an unsuspecting friend.

The bags are supposedly pre-sealable though. Something with the filter being able to accommodate more gas exchange. Are these still unable to provide rapid air exchange to prevent bursting? My PC instructions say to cool it in cold water, but given what I've read, it might not be the best idea when using pre-sealed bags. Still, I'm going to try it anyways just to see.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Sealer [Re: jung]
    #8003163 - 02/09/08 11:31 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

your instructions say to put a hot pressure cooker in cold water?

if its cast aluminum it will crack, im not sure what would happen to stainless steel but i can't imagine it would be good fo rit

--------------------

InvisibleMankey
Male

#8004281 - 02/10/08 11:33 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
so backorder your money

Did yesterday.

Offlinejung
Stranger
    #8004737 - 02/10/08 01:41 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

it's pretty crazy. the cold water starts sizzling and steaming but the pc is ok so far. i think it's made out of aluminum. i posted a pic of it in one of my threads.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags