Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
If the US brings all troops home tomorrow is the world a better place?
    #7966921 - 02/01/08 10:05 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Yes/No and Why?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Edited by Madtowntripper (02/01/08 10:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMezcal
Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7966963 - 02/01/08 10:22 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Anybody study history in college here?

When an oppressive force leaves, it generally leaves a space to fill for other nefarious and controlling parties.

If the US wants to help the world, it will need to inspire the middle east to help itself. How should we do that? START ADMITTING THAT WE ARE ALL ONE PEOPLE.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7966969 - 02/01/08 10:25 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Recall our troops from just Iraq or ALL 700 + locations where they are deployed throughout the world?

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: zorbman]
    #7967032 - 02/01/08 10:44 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Nope, from everywhere.

ala Ron Paul.

Curious to see how many people think thats a great idea.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

#7967054 - 02/01/08 10:50 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

who gives a shit about other countries

it really isn't our role to police the globe.

we should be like most other countries and worry about ourselves.

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #7967123 - 02/01/08 11:11 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

look at vietnam
they said when we left that it would create chaos
it created the opposite
look at somalia
we went in with humanitarian effort
fucked it up, then left and it was better off that way
iraqis tell us to leave them alone, they can create democracy on their own
we cant go around forcing our way of life at the tip of a bayonet

--------------------

InvisibleSoY
I am the LizardKing
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
    #7967303 - 02/02/08 12:15 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know what it is that everyone is so afraid would happen if we used OUR military to protect OUR nation.....

--------------------

"The choiceless truth of who you are is revealed to be permanently here permeating everything. Not a thing and not separate from anything."--Gaganji
"Yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream."
"My karma ran over my dogma!"

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: Mezcal]
    #7967450 - 02/02/08 01:29 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mezcal said:

When an oppressive force leaves, it generally leaves a space to fill for other nefarious and controlling parties.

If the US wants to help the world, it will need to inspire the middle east to help itself. How should we do that? START ADMITTING THAT WE ARE ALL ONE PEOPLE.

All one people staring down the barrel of one gun held by one government? No thank you....

When Canada liberated Holland from the Nazis, they were jubilant and thankful to the Canadian soldiers. They all got laid, then went back home. No nefarious governments rolled in. We were all happy after it. Now Canadians can go there and smoke pot and get loved up all the time.

--------------------

Edited by Minstrel (02/02/08 01:30 AM)

Offlineledfut
I once jerkedoff w/ bothhands
Male User Gallery

#7967462 - 02/02/08 01:35 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

depends on what your definition of better is.

it makes the world better for the troops that get to be home with their families

but on the other side

it would be bad if you happen to run a fortune 500 company because now the military isn't being used so that you can make more money.

--------------------
May our only occupation be not having a job.
May the only cocktails that we make be molitov.
-Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: ledfut]
    #7968072 - 02/02/08 10:09 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

How about if you are a S. Korean?

--------------------

InvisibleSoY
I am the LizardKing
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
    #7968086 - 02/02/08 10:14 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

South Korea is more than capable of taking care of itself, and it is highly unlikely that the north would invade them.

--------------------

"The choiceless truth of who you are is revealed to be permanently here permeating everything. Not a thing and not separate from anything."--Gaganji
"Yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream."
"My karma ran over my dogma!"

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: SoY]
    #7968136 - 02/02/08 10:36 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

If you want to believe that, thats fine.

--------------------

Offlinekriminalelement
"jesus wept."
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ay! los popos estan aqui!
    #7968718 - 02/02/08 01:21 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mezcal said:

I am a senior and a history major. Your argument makes no sense from a historical standpoint.

What you are referring to is a "power vacuum". While this can be a problem, even the most perfunctory glance at history would tell you that this issue is usually solved in short order. The power vacuum argument is usually used by imperialist powers who wish to continue to illegitimately occupy a nation. They argue that staying will only incur disaster for the local population.

This is a short term argument, as power vacuums are almost always filled immediately. Government of the Iraqis is Iraq's problem, not ours, and to suggest otherwise would be patronizing and disgusting to the nation of Iraq. We don't need to "inspire" anyone. This comment smacks of racism. People are perfectly capable of inspiring themselves. I'm sorry if this offends your sensibilities about middle-eastern people, but they do have brains just as big as ours, and can keep in mind their interests in establishing a government. Will this government look like ours? No. Will we like it? Probably not, but the U.S. government post-pull out will likely praise it to high heaven and sell it missiles to get a crack at its oil fields.

I don't understand your idea of "acknowledging that we are all one". How will this policy be implemented? Will there be some sort of global government with more police power? Or will it be a government more akin to the U.N., but with more economic clout?

I really don't understand what you are saying. I don't think you have studied much history. Simply acknowledging a basic truism won't do jack shit to help anyone. From an ideological standpoint it won't help to "inspire" people. People are inspired by their own interests, beliefs, and heroes, not some vague ideological standpoint of the U.S. government. The world doesn't look to the U.S. for inspiration anymore, they look to the U.S. for warning signs of impending cluster bombs.

--------------------
While there is a lower class, I am in it
While there is a criminal element, I am of it
While there is a soul in prison, I am not free.

Eugene V Debs

Offlinekriminalelement
"jesus wept."
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ay! los popos estan aqui!
Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: kriminalelement]
    #7968779 - 02/02/08 01:36 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Responding to the actual question, I think that yes, it would be a better place. Giving people dignity and respect would far outweigh the potential "benefits" of our current policy.

That said, if for some reason people should, by a VAST majority, want us to occupy their country for the safety and good of their people, we should make an attempt to help. But even in the worst of situations I think occupation only digs a hole for Americans, the U.S. government, and the people we so patronizingly want to "help".

--------------------
While there is a lower class, I am in it
While there is a criminal element, I am of it
While there is a soul in prison, I am not free.

Eugene V Debs

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: Coaster]
    #7969065 - 02/02/08 02:48 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
look at vietnam
it created the opposite

That's true. The communists murdered every dissenter.
Quote:

look at somalia

Somalia is still fucked
Quote:

iraqis tell us to leave them alone, they can create democracy on their own
we cant go around forcing our way of life at the tip of a bayonet

When they tell us that we should go.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: kriminalelement]
    #7969068 - 02/02/08 02:49 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #7969103 - 02/02/08 02:58 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

When they tell us that we should go.

watch the whole thing

--------------------

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: Coaster]
    #7969114 - 02/02/08 03:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
look at vietnam
it created the opposite

Umm yea, I guess I liked the mass slaughter too after the US left.

Quote:

Coaster said:
look at somalia

We fucked it up? It was already FUCKED and it still is FUCKED.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Re: If the US brings all troops home, is the world a better place tomorrow? [Re: downforpot]
    #7969139 - 02/02/08 03:08 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

downforpot u no that every american life lost in the vietnam war was completely pointless right, we could have done the same in peace than what we did in war

and yes somalia is still fucked, but all we did was go in try to help them, they didnt want our help even though we had the right intentions, but we had casualties and it was all without benefits

--------------------

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
    #7969325 - 02/02/08 04:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
downforpot u no that every american life lost in the vietnam war was completely pointless right, we could have done the same in peace than what we did in war

You are ignoring the fact that it didn't just become peaceful after we left. You are changing the subject. So saying that it all became peaceful after we left is a LIE.

Quote:

Coaster said:
and yes somalia is still fucked, but all we did was go in try to help them, they didnt want our help even though we had the right intentions, but we had casualties and it was all without benefits

Yes and you are ignoring the original point which stated that we fucked it up. It was already fucked.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order