Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBejeezis
Mushaboom

Fruiting Chamber Holes (Size, Quantity)?
    #7939397 - 01/27/08 09:04 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hey fellaz,

Was wandering through Home Depot and found this 56 quart box (minus hose assembly on top) for 3.99 in their clearance section. I have been looking for a good fruiting chamber box for some time now. So, naturally, I couldn't resist.

I added the hose assembly on top so that I could hook up my ultra sonic on an adjustable timer.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions as to the size, quantity and placement of holes for the chamber? I have a few poorly planned fruiting chambers containing holes that are either too large, too abundant or both. Here's a pic of my embarrassing fruiting chamber!

It has 10 big holes placed just above the casing layer when filled. And my humidity usually drops to 70% within a couple hours after I mist. I made these chambers before I ever came to this forum.

I want to make sure I do it right this time.

I plan on using the new chambers for casings, not cakes. I am not a fan of cakes so far as water tends to accumulate(and begin to stink of feet) if I leave them in the PF jars and if I birth them, they tend to grow into each other making harvesting somewhat difficult... plus I HATE perlite and the mess associated with it.

Anyway, my big concern is the hole placement and size for the new chamber to allow gas exchange.  Now that I'll have an ultrasonic hooked up, I'm assuming that I can make the holes a little larger but I'm sure my previous holes (13/16") are too large for any chamber.

Any advice would be much appreciated and please do pardon my noobitude. :grin:

--------------------

Whether you're here to learn or teach the art of mycology,
do so with an open mind.

My posts are 100% fictional... 
I'm just makin it all up! :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGr33nday43
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Manchester, UK Flag
Re: Fruiting Chamber Holes (Size, Quantity)? *DELETED* [Re: Bejeezis]
    #7939542 - 01/27/08 10:02 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Gr33nday43

Reason for deletion: That's a secret.

OfflineBejeezis
Mushaboom

Re: Fruiting Chamber Holes (Size, Quantity)? [Re: Gr33nday43]
    #7939585 - 01/27/08 10:19 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gr33nday43 said:
Okay, what I would do is to get about 4-5 inches of wet perlite on the bottom, and drill about 20 3/8" holes in ALL 6 sides.
Top, bottom, side, side, side, and side.
Your humidity should stay OK.

Another method would be to get around 4-5 inches of perlite and drill holes on all the sides above the perlite and on the bottom, so the co2 can leak out, and you should fan it twice a day.
:thumbup:

Are you talking about a PF cake setup? or Perlite underneath substrate/casing layer?
I'm looking to case some WBS (Wild Bird Seed) and I'm not sure if you can use WBS for a PF cake style setup.

--------------------

Whether you're here to learn or teach the art of mycology,
do so with an open mind.

My posts are 100% fictional... 
I'm just makin it all up! :wink:

Edited by Bejeezis (01/27/08 01:31 PM)

Offline420shroom138
Truth Addict
 User Gallery
Re: Fruiting Chamber Holes (Size, Quantity)? [Re: Gr33nday43]
    #13124765 - 08/30/10 04:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

can this fc work for casings too?

--------------------
Im just PRETENDING to be a mycologyst. This is all fictional and just for kicks.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Fruiting Chamber Holes (Size, Quantity)? [Re: 420shroom138]
    #13124790 - 08/30/10 04:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hi, this is an old thread.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate