Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinevigilant_mind
unfazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: boco
Does Race Matter?
    #7919784 - 01/23/08 12:57 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Aside from the fact that certain races are more likely to contract certain diseases, what, if any, true and important differences are there between the races?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: Does Race Matter? [Re: vigilant_mind]
    #7919803 - 01/23/08 01:02 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

i dont even know where to start..

yes, race matters.

Offlinecactastic
You must be shroomin'

Loc: Earth
    #7919806 - 01/23/08 01:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Genetically humans are very closely related. A northern European is more closely related to someone from Asia then two monkeys in the same group. Its thought this is because sometime during human history the human population was reduced to just a few thousand individuals. They found where Humans probably started by finding where there was the most genetic diversity in one group. It was in central Africa. I believe environment and society is what causes the differences we see today. Also, I've heard that the reasons why African Americans are more likely to have certain diseases is because of the individuals who would have survived on slave ships. Such as individuals with high blood pressure.

--------------------
I'm on YT

My 10+ year old Lophophoras that I grew from seed make the occasional appearance with lots of other cacti, succulents and houseplants.

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: Does Race Matter? [Re: cactastic]
    #7919819 - 01/23/08 01:07 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

so because they had high blood pressure they survived on the slave ship?

interesting.

i'm sure all the european immigrants had such different conditions that high blood pressure became less prevalent.

i have a feeling that it is more genetic than anything.. like since they are used to living in arid regions (having dark skin, oily hair, and a flat nose) they had to adapt to the heat by having high blood pressure. now i dont know if that would even help or hinder them, but it's a hypothesis. i dont know shit about high blood pressure but i would think that it's genetic and not just trying to blame the white man for their genetic problems.

OfflineHotsauce72
ShapeShifter
Male

Re: Does Race Matter? [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #7919852 - 01/23/08 01:17 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Sickle cell was developed prominently in Blacks and Arabs populations because of the high level of malaria in the region, along with a lactose intolerance build up because the availability fertile land and abundant meat. While Whites relied on milk as a major source of protein, since the cold winters, developed tougher/more enzymes to break down milk. Whites and Asians are more likely to osteoporosis because of their relative thin bones...lack of protein.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Does Race Matter? [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #7919888 - 01/23/08 01:30 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

drkrobotnik said:
i dont even know where to start..

yes, race matters.

Can you elaborate?

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
    #7919890 - 01/23/08 01:30 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Well from most geneticist's point of view there isn't even such a thing as race...i.e. no significant genetic difference between races.

If race is merely a social construction than it isn't even real, and can be erased.

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: Does Race Matter? [Re: gluke bastid]
    #7919902 - 01/23/08 01:34 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

gluke bastid said:
Well from most geneticist's point of view there isn't even such a thing as race...i.e. no significant genetic difference between races.

If race is merely a social construction than it isn't even real, and can be erased.

Of course there are genetic differences between races. Otherwise white people could have black children.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
Re: Does Race Matter? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #7919925 - 01/23/08 01:40 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I guess I'm getting my language wrong.

I thought skin color was a trait, like blue eyes, not a difference in genes?

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#7919948 - 01/23/08 01:49 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Well race does amount to a collection of genetic traits, the way I see it. Eye color is genetic too as far as I know.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #7920500 - 01/23/08 04:35 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Would you mind elaborating on your question? Does it matter to whom? Why? In what way?

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Does Race Matter? [Re: Veritas]
    #7920540 - 01/23/08 04:44 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

yeah;
and is betting involved?
and
how much did you wager?

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlinevigilant_mind
unfazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: boco
    #7920798 - 01/23/08 05:25 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

What I'm getting at is: Is there enough physical and/or psychological distinction between the races for us to continue distinguishing between them?

To whom? All human beings, as this matter concerns all of us. I believe this is important because categorizing people by race truly be a superfluous and, as history has demonstrated, potentially dangerous practice.

Edited by vigilant_mind (01/23/08 05:33 PM)

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

#7920825 - 01/23/08 05:30 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

ya nigs have an extra muscle in their leg.. everyone knows that.. :tongue:  that's why they're faster and can jump higher than whites.  this is probably bullshit.. our coaches used to tell us this to try to get us to push ourselves even further. :P

race is deterministic of culture or is it the other way around?  it's debatable but i say that in my personal endeavor towards being accepting  i accept people for who they are, and not their race.

i believe your race defines you as a person, though.. and some people are more defined than others..

there are just ways things are and some things are never going to change.. but look how much things have changed in the past forty years.. you never know.

maybe one day there will be only one race, a blend of everybody..

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #7921386 - 01/23/08 07:36 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

There are physical differences associated with particular ethnic backgrounds, and there are psychological differences associated with different cultures and family systems. So what?

Does my European and British Isles ancestry mean something about me as an individual? Sure. Does it mean enough for others to need to know about it & make decisions about me based upon it? No way.

There is one race: human. All the little details are even less genetically significant than the difference between a German Shepherd and an Akita.

InvisibleAnastomosisJihad
Hominid
Male

Loc: Ohio
    #7921463 - 01/23/08 07:51 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Race clearly matters from an evolutionary point of view. A small group of humanity's ancestors split up a few hundred thousand years ago, and each branch adapted to the environment in which they came to live. Had this separation gone on indefinitely, it would have lead to several different species of human. Taxonomically speaking, races are varieties of Homo sapiens the same way German shepherds and Shitzues are different varieties of dogs.

--------------------
come together

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Does Race Matter? [Re: AnastomosisJihad]
    #7921494 - 01/23/08 08:00 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

the criminal justice system extends a profoundly racist way of categorizing, coralling, and criminalizing black people.
It is nearly impossible for black people to escape harrassment from this.
it should not matter
but it is made to matter by the status quo in the criminal justice system. george bush on down.
deprive new orleans it's upgraded levys
then after near annihilation and disruption, privatize the school systems, in case there is any shortage of reasons to fail this will help keep blacks in trouble.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#7921521 - 01/23/08 08:07 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

gluke bastid said:

This perspective is shared by Physical Anthropologists and Sociologists. Race is a social construct. There is no substantial difference between races. Skin and eye colour is simply an adaptive mutation. Swine Pink skin (aka: white skin) is a mutation that flourished in the northern latitudes of Europe because it made it easier to absorb vitamin D in the relatively sunless, dark environment of the north. Differences in the concentration of melanin or cranial structure tendencies really don't result in great enough difference to continue to segregate people into races. The concept of race was first concieved of by ignorant European Anthropologists in the 19th century, looking for justification for the notion that white people were somehow inherently superior to the rest of humanity, those justifying colonial expansionism. It's a load of shit.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Does Race Matter? [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #7921527 - 01/23/08 08:09 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

But on that note, race does 'matter' with regards to politics, as racial discrimination exists with a fury. We really can't be 'color blind'; it's necessary to recognize and confront the existence of pervasive, institutionalized racism.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Does Race Matter? [Re: AnastomosisJihad]
    #7921539 - 01/23/08 08:11 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AnastomosisJihad said:
Race clearly matters from an evolutionary point of view. A small group of humanity's ancestors split up a few hundred thousand years ago, and each branch adapted to the environment in which they came to live. Had this separation gone on indefinitely, it would have lead to several different species of human. Taxonomically speaking, races are varieties of Homo sapiens the same way German shepherds and Shitzues are different varieties of dogs.

I'm sorry, but that's a load of shit. There's way more difference between a german shephard and a Shitzue than there is between a chinese person and a white person. Which race gets to be the strong and noble german shephard and which is the yappy little shit hound? Hmm... very questionable analogy.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale