Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Im only going to spend $200 dollars in the next 2 weeks.
    #7830157 - 01/03/08 10:57 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I've just noticed this forum *stoked.*

Either way, i have nothing more to say... than.. im going to try and stick to a tighter budget for once, so i can achieve a couple goals in the near future which depends upon my financial success.

I think my only issue will be eating meals at home, and packing a snack most days. (i eat out most of the time.)

Ill let ya'll know how i do.

Any other budget tips from the pros? (ill look through the forum.)

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Im only going to spend $200 dollars in the next 2 weeks. [Re: PDU]
    #7830214 - 01/03/08 11:09 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

If the $200 is strictly discretionary (not including other living expenses such as housing and utilities), you should be able to get by pretty well so long as you don't kill it with some splurge out at a restaurant or bar. If this is strictly a food budget, you could eat very well so long as you only purchase from the grocery store.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleGlacier Creek
The Chef
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Im only going to spend $200 dollars in the next 2 weeks. [Re: geokills]
    #7830232 - 01/03/08 11:15 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got about money matters is to carry a small notebook in your pocket. Just take it out with your wallet, and keep it in your front pocket everyday.

Then start to write down everything you spend money on.

Every little thing.

Then at the end of the month look at how much you spent on things like coke at the gas station, cigs, coffee, capuccino, etc.

For me this worked so well. When you actaully see that you spend XXX number of dollars a month on something as stupid as fancy gas station coffee, etc, you it will make it so much easier to stop spending on impulse.

Works well for me, just thought I would share.

--------------------

Google "Earthly Info" to find my mushroom recipes. #1 baby.. yeah...

WARNING: All messages posted under this profile
are actually algorithmicly generated by an AI computer program.  No truth or actual events are being generated, and as a result cannot be investigated for thier validity.  (message 2345433)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Im only going to spend $200 dollars in the next 2 weeks. [Re: Glacier Creek]
    #7830409 - 01/04/08 12:21 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

GC - ive actually considered doing this a few times, but have never been disciplined enough to follow through. (i was going to keep receipts and highlight problem areas.) Ill try this just out of curiosities sake over the next couple weeks.

However - in response to Geokills - The $200 will be mostly a food budget (besides gas, but i dont drive much) I am good at not spending money on luxuries (learned budgeting from a cheep millionaire grandfather.) - I watch all my friends BLOW so much money on BEER, cigarettes, and marijuana, Literally EVERYONE i know, under 25 lives paycheque to paycheque - and i long ago realized this is not the life for me.

I do not smoke, smoke pot, drink, or drink coffee, eat fast food, go to bars, also do not eat junk food or drink pop.

My only indulgence is on high quality foods, and eating out (even then, i budget well.)

$200 dollars over 2 weeks turns out to be nearly $15 dollars a day, which is much more than MOST of the world survives on (although poorly.)

I've been intending on quelching (is that the right word?!) my sometimes outrageous appetite for cafe and restaurant food. A glutton ive always been..

As it turns out ive been planning on a blood and liver detox with a friend, over some of the time ill be doing this. And i will have to eat virtually all my meals at home because of the dietary restrictions. - So this will work out well.

Who knows, maybe ill even have some money left over? What do you think?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

#7830840 - 01/04/08 06:34 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I've made massive pots of chili beans for pretty damned cheap.  Quality food to me. :thumbup:

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: Im only going to spend $200 dollars in the next 2 weeks. [Re: 0xYg3n]
    #7831260 - 01/04/08 09:24 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

ive been seriously hurting myself with xtra spending. I cant seem to help it so ive become somewhat reclusive. As a perk, when i do go out i know everyone at the bar so as long as im not buying rounds and poping bottles i get in and out for free. I spent 450 $ yesterday on i dont even know what. :frown:

I should try this 200 $ thing, but with more .. lol maybe 200 $ for a week would work for me. I will start not using plastic.

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#7831586 - 01/04/08 11:09 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Often big money is spent on little expenses.

I agree with the notebook philosophy: catalog what you spend in a month.

It's just like preparing to go on a diet: you must track where it all goes before you can take appropriate measures for your spending pattern, be it calories or money.

It never hurts to pack a snack (like a whole grain raisin cookie in a wrapper) if that prevents you from raiding a food place (and your wallet) an hour or so later.

Watch those little expenses because for most people that's when they spend without thinking.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Im only going to spend $200 dollars in the next 2 weeks. [Re: Asante]
    #7832136 - 01/04/08 02:20 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Bags of cashews and walnuts with hemp seeds is a good snack for me..

Im going use this as an oppurtunity to start baking, make some tzatziki and hummus, and chilli!

Day 1 (haven't left the house yet, 15 dollars in wallet.)

Did a communal meal of vegetarian chilli with my roommates, had 3 dollars left over (to be saved.)

Had to buy windshield washer fluid for 6 dollars.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Edited by PDU (01/04/08 11:13 PM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#7840616 - 01/06/08 05:44 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Day 2:

I went grocery shopping and exceeded my 15 dollar limit, by 6 dollars. However had a communal meal which i made my money back.

From that 21 dollars spent, i got veggies which i made a large batch of fresh salsa, aswell as fresh tzatziki and made burritos for dinner. Much leftovers, and the fridge is bulging full. :laugh:

Im offering to cook for my roommates for 3/4 dollars each as much as possible, as this seems to be the best way to save money.

Later in the evening I got suckered into dennys and got a milkshake. Pushing me way over budget.

NOT spending frivilously has lead me to increased awareness about my spending habits, and is proving somewhat "inhibitive" for  my daily tasks, ie; hangin at the coffeeshop, thrifting, etc.

Id say my diet is improving greatly, and im exercising alot and reading to combat the boredom.

Day 3, and i've only spent 2.24 by 5pm.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

#7851813 - 01/09/08 01:01 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

's cool that you're documenting this.  Any updates?

One recommendation I have for you is to hit up a big dollar store in your area.  We have the Dollar Tree here and also 99 cent store.  At the Dollar Tree I've been buying Marie Calendars Chicken and Dumpling with vegetable soup and then they have cans of mixed vegetables for 2/$1.00 so I just add those in when I heat up the soup.  Turns out to be a pretty big meal for $1.50 with plenty of vegetables, a little meat, and everything is in small pieces so it digests nicely :smile:  I also found "Cheese Crackers" there that taste the same as cheese nips and there's plenty of other cheap foods.  Some dollar stores even have produce but I haven't ventured into that.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Im only going to spend $200 dollars in the next 2 weeks. [Re: PoC]
    #7856010 - 01/09/08 08:41 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I didnt think anyone was interested, so i haven't been updating.

Here goes.

Day 4: - i think i bought groceries to prepare a big meal, and maxxed out my budget. I later went to dennys and ended up being a glutton and getting a milkshake, putting me $5 over my budget. (it was my weekend indulgence.)

Day 5: - I stayed within budget.

Today is day 6 i believe: I did not stay within budget, As i bought some stuff for my upcomming travels.

In conclusion, i've found it reasonably difficult to survive off $15 dollars. I've been living well, exploring many new recipes and eating communally. While enjoying the forced conscientiousness as it pushes me to practice what i preach. My fridge is fuller than its ever been, and each day i have a meal plan set out, which i follow.

I believe it has been beneficial to inhibit my cravings, as i've found myself to be a very hedonistic and impulsive while shopping sometimes in the past. I have been working on this for awhile, but this exercise has really put it into perspective.

However, right now is a hard time for me to be practicing this, as im preparing for an extended trip to south america in the next couple months and have been gearing up for that. (in reality, spent $500 yesterday!) As such, i am done this exercise for now. I will continue to "try" to spend $15 dollars a day, and of course will continue living consciously as possible, but for ease of preparation of my trip, and my upcomming body cleanse, aswell as exercise routines (gym/yoga/swimming) - i will spend as much money as i need to, without fret, aslong as its a well intentioned spend.

I would strongly suggest anyone try this with whatever money amount they choose. I feel, it will build a conscious attitude towards consumption and promote health, and smart shopping techniques. Many of us do not need what we have, and the path to success in the future, is rarely overindulgence, but frugality and wise decisions. Keep this in mind.

To address patternofChaos -

First off, i do not like shopping at dollar stores in the first place and heres why: Production and transportation of items costs money. The savings end up comming off the wages and safety of the people working for the companies producing said products. Dollar stores subsidize 2nd and 3rd world peoples safety and wages (aswell as the environment) for YOUR savings. In my eyes, this is unethical.

Besides, dollar stores sell crap products for the most part - and this goes for your "calenders chicken and dumpling soup" too.

If one is on a budget and shops wisely, and has a bit of culinary flare (or an open mind) - one can EASILY eat, very cheaply, out of most grocery stores - buy bulk, buy nuts/beans/seeds to supplement proteins, do stir frys.. buy non prepacked veggies, DO SOUPS, buy nutritious bread.. etc.

A meal made with nutriotious food, is better than a large meal of crap food.

I was just thinking as i passed a mcdonalds filled with homeless and other denegrate and unconscious consumer peoples - that a family of 3 would spend at least $15 dollars on 3 crap meals which leave them devoid of essential nutrients and afloat in saturated fats...

Whereas, for $15 dollars i could EASILY feed 5 hungry people, with top notch whole foods.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag