Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefivesenses99
Stranger
 User Gallery
dunk cake? many pins in jar
    #7813298 - 12/30/07 11:38 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

My cakes tend to pin a lot in my jars before I start fruiting. Will dunking the cake hurt all of these pins and begginings of mushrooms?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: dunk cake? many pins in jar [Re: fivesenses99]
    #7813300 - 12/30/07 11:38 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

probably, i wouldnt dunk them id just let the mushrooms grow

why do you keep them in the jar for so long?

Offlinefivesenses99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: dunk cake? many pins in jar [Re: Atheist]
    #7813331 - 12/30/07 11:46 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

They always start pinning even before the jar is completely colonized. I am not sure why, but they always do. I currently have a jar that has at most another week before completely conolized and it probably has 8-12 pins and one 1" long shroom starting.

InvisibleantiPock
fighting entropy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sol 3
    #7813389 - 12/30/07 12:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

are the jars getting exposed to light?

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: dunk cake? many pins in jar [Re: antiPock]
    #7813919 - 12/30/07 02:41 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

antiPock said:
are the jars getting exposed to light?

Not the light. Until the mycelium decides it has done all the colonization it can, it won't react to light in that way. RR colonizes his jars on a shelf in light all the time.

I would guess your problem is that your substrate is too wet. The myc has problems colonizing it all so it decides it has colonized all it is able to and goes into "fruiting mode" even if it hasn't colonized all the substrate in the jar.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: dunk cake? many pins in jar [Re: Nibin]
    #7813947 - 12/30/07 02:50 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

If your cakes are consistently pinning invitro, perhaps your inoculation/vent holes are too big. It's important to have a high CO2 level during colonization. If you have too much fresh air, the substrate will pin. In addition, if the substrate is drying out, that is another pinning trigger. Mycelium normally will only form primordia when it has captured the available substrate. Something is telling the mycelium that there is no more food to colonize. Otherwise, it wouldn't pin-light or no light.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMad Scientist
Beyond Science
Male

#11682447 - 12/19/09 06:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

fivesenses99 said:
They always start pinning even before the jar is completely colonized. I am not sure why, but they always do. I currently have a jar that has at most another week before completely conolized and it probably has 8-12 pins and one 1" long shroom starting.

i believe the reason ur jars pin to early are several diffrent major factors, for one, ur jars are getting to much fresh air inside them, second u have light penetrating into ur jar which on tirn with fresh air causes pinning to initiate, and third, u probably dont have a steady temperature, or u ur tempature is jus too cold, keep ur jars about 85 degrees at all times, leave ur foil on the jars  u had on there while presure cooking but loosen the lig jus slightly. if ur substrate is too dry, the more it colonizes the slower it will colonize as its using up all the water. maxe sure when following recipes, use RogerRabbits instructions on how to mix substrate and folow them exactly with no tweaking the recipe unless ur experimenting....

--------------------
"every man who came forth from the dust shall return to the dust as the dust will always be dust and nothing more"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix