Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemongoose539
Stranger
a few quick horse poo questions
    #7792817 - 12/23/07 02:51 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

1. is "composted" horse manure the same thing that we look for and use? (found a source for free composted hpoo)

2. should i screen, chop, or prepare it in any way other than pasturization?

thats all :smile: thanks for any help

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelostinautumn7
Hooker With APenis
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: a few quick horse poo questions [Re: mongoose539]
    #7792826 - 12/23/07 02:55 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

composted is just as good as regular h-poo, sometimes better. and it will usually need to be leeched of its ammonia before you can pasteurize. smell it, if it smells awful it needs to be leeched, if it smells like nothing it doesnt.

--------------------
"May your mycelia multiply and be fruitful."

- oxohawkoxo

the shroomery is  one hell of a community, lots of good people here, and i am damn proud to be a part of it. thanks shroomery and all shroomerites. :heart:       
                            - lostinautumn7

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: a few quick horse poo questions [Re: lostinautumn7]
    #7792894 - 12/23/07 03:17 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

If it is composted it will have been leached already. That is part of the composting process.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Loc: Las Vegas Flag
Re: a few quick horse poo questions [Re: Nibin]
    #7792973 - 12/23/07 03:51 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I will never buy the store bought(composted manure) Hpoo again. It reaked no matter how much I leached it. It contained small chunks of wood that the mycelium didnt like to colonize. The mycelium took almost three times longer to colonize it. I dont know exactly why but the mycelium just does not like it. Maybe they put some type of fungicide in it. The bag I bought was at Homedepot and cost 99cents for a big bag.

I went out to a horse farm and picked up about 30lbs of aged Hpoo.The mycelium colonizes it very fast. It has no poo smell just smells like a horse when wet. It has been the best substrate I have used. I would never use the store bought stuff again. So just take a drive and pickup some old Hpoo,Cowpoo that you find.

Edited by Cloneufc (12/23/07 03:57 PM)

Invisiblelostinautumn7
Hooker With APenis
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: a few quick horse poo questions [Re: Cloneufc]
    #7794051 - 12/23/07 10:24 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Cloneufc said:
I will never buy the store bought(composted manure) Hpoo again. It reaked no matter how much I leached it. It contained small chunks of wood that the mycelium didnt like to colonize. The mycelium took almost three times longer to colonize it. I dont know exactly why but the mycelium just does not like it. Maybe they put some type of fungicide in it. The bag I bought was at Homedepot and cost 99cents for a big bag.

this was kind of my point before...often "composted" manures are not really professionally composted or sometimes they are not actually composted at all. i used to buy poo as well that said it was "composted" and still reeked of ammonia, had to be leached and still totally sucked...my ammonia smell went away after i leached though.

the wood you found in your poo was probably cedar, a natural fungicide.

--------------------
"May your mycelia multiply and be fruitful."

- oxohawkoxo

the shroomery is  one hell of a community, lots of good people here, and i am damn proud to be a part of it. thanks shroomery and all shroomerites. :heart:       
                            - lostinautumn7

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags