Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineXPYROMB
Stranger
Male
Loc: Calgary AB, Canada
bulk substrates? casing?? 1st time grower needs help
    #7789231 - 12/22/07 02:25 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, so a few weeks ago i decided to try out growing my own mushrooms. I decided to begin by testing out the PF-tek in only 2 half quart mason jars with brown rice flour and vermiculite. My jars are now around half colonized and I'm considering attempting casing them once they finish, but my understanding of casing is hazy at best. I've read that i need a bulk substrate, can it be the same BRF and vermiculite mix i used initially or should i use something different? I would definitely like to stay away from using manure for now, even though it seems to be what most recommend on these boards. Is it even realistic to attempt growing bulk from just 2 half pint mason jars? How thick should my casing layer be and what is the best mixture to use? I've read that the casing layer acts as protection from contaminates, so does this mean that after casing i can leave my mushies to grow wherever i want (ie: just left out in my room by the window as opposed to covered in some sort of fruiting terrarium in the closet)? Any light shed on this subject would be wonderful.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: bulk substrates? casing?? 1st time grower needs help [Re: XPYROMB]
    #7789249 - 12/22/07 02:28 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

you asked alot of questions their man. you need to do a little looking before asking so many questions. do some research then if you still have questions come back and ask some more specific ones.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
    #7789275 - 12/22/07 02:39 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

my understanding of casing is hazy at best.

Really. You don't say...
Before I get started allow me to direct you to the upper right corner of the screen, where lies the search engine. All of these questions can easily be answered by doing the tiniest bit of research, which you clearly haven't done. But, I feel generous. So, anyway.

Quote:

I've read that i need a bulk substrate, can it be the same BRF and vermiculite mix i used initially or should i use something different?

No. You do not need a bulk substrate to case a basic substrate. But if you want to case these cakes you should spawn to a bulk. BRF is a shitty bulk. You say you want to avoid poo? Coir makes an excellent bulk. Look up Coir as Bulk, then read everything.

Quote:

How thick should my casing layer be and what is the best mixture to use?

Your casing should be around 1/4 the depth of your substrate. pH adjusted 50/50 is the way to go.

Quote:

I've read that the casing layer acts as protection from contaminates, so does this mean that after casing i can leave my mushies to grow wherever i want

Uh... no. You really need to grasp the basics of this whole cultivation thing. You need to fruit in an environment that has a humidity near 100%, and supplies copius fresh air exchange. Your windowsill isn't one of those places. Having read what you posted, I would suggest you read A LOT more before you contaminate your jars trying to spawn to a bulk.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Edited by thedefone (12/22/07 02:42 PM)

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7789287 - 12/22/07 02:43 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

You are not looking into casing. You are looking into spawning to bulk and then casing.

PF cake mix does not work as a bulk substrate. Anything that contains grains will have to be sterilized (not pasteurized as bulks are) and inoculated in a sterile environment such as jars or bags.

Try Coco Coir with some spent coffee grounds for a bulk substrate if you don't want to use poo.

For the rest of your questions

http://www.shroomery.org/4/Grow-Mushrooms

READ

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom