Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGaryW
Stranger
Why is the PF tek recommended for newbies?
    #778733 - 07/26/02 03:47 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

My first attemp was straight from the book, no modifications, PF technique. I have 3 tiny mushies for my efforts. Lost much to contams, the rest just sort of dried out.

My second attempt was rye quarts cased in miracle grow moisture retaining potting mix. I even made my own syringe on this effort. First flush was fantastic and it's full of pins 4 days after harvest ready for the second!

So why is PF recommended for the first timer? I found rye/casing so much easier!

1: only one innoculation point per (quart) jar. PF recommends 4 innoculation points (1/2 pint jar) increasing risk for contams.

2. Faster colonization. My rye was 100% in less than a week. My jars took 3-4 weeks and some never fully colonized. (Both were in the same environment)

3. Bigger yeilds. I don't have a good scale (it read 350 grams) but my first flush of cased rye filled a dinner plate heaping over. I can't imagine getting that from
10 cakes.

4. Less hassle. Tossing a cup of rye into a quart jar with 1 cup of water and pc'ing it the next day is easy. (I did 3 quarts). Grinding BRF, mixing with verm and water, drilling/punching 40 holes in lids, filling jars, etc is time consuming and a major pain in the ass.

So why is PF BRF recommended as the newbie path? I'll never work with a 1/2 pint jar again. If it's only about having a pressure cooker then get one...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Why is the PF tek recommended for newbies? [Re: GaryW]
    #778745 - 07/26/02 03:59 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Becasue for rye:
1. You need a pressure cooker
2. You need to get the water content of rye right.
3. You are adding casing which is an aditional risk variable for a newbie.
4. It?s easyer to observere healthy growth in a pf jar for a newbie and recognize contamination.

InvisibleShaw

#779076 - 07/26/02 06:54 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

my question is how you screwed up the pf? How you pulled rye out of your ass after failing with pf, i do not know. I don't like the fact that the teck was updated to 1/8 cup brf, to 1/4. it took alot longer, and caused stalling. Do you remember your pf formula? Don't get me wrong, i like rye better, just not for newbies

--------------------

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Why is the PF tek recommended for newbies? [Re: Shaw] * 2
    #779172 - 07/26/02 07:52 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You know, my cat never could get the PF stuff right. He actually found that it was more difficult to get the moisture right with BRF/VERM than with rye. He actually ended up doing almost exactly the same thing as the dude who wrote this post - tried PF, decided to do a 'side experiment' with rye, found it to be faster and easier, and stuck with it.

I will agree with Anno on his points, though - PF is much easier to recognize growth and contams. It's also more practical for someone who doesn't have (or doesn't have an excuse for owning) a pressure cooker. The ingredients and materials can all be found locally to most people (except spores, of course), and it's a pretty contam-resistant tek all around. It didn't work too well for kitty, but after working with rye a little (and reading a LOT) he abandoned PF for more advanced casing and spawn work. This, of course, was after constructing a glove box and buying a 15.5qt All American pressure cooker.

PF is good, but there are definitely better (and easier, if you have a good technique) ways to do this.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

InvisibleTerrarium_Guy
Sensei

Loc: ...beyond the sun...
    #779451 - 07/27/02 12:46 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

My friend never had much luck with cakes either. His first time he cased half of his jars and from there saw the potential of casing over cakes.

Good luck man and congrats on your harvest!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

InvisibleGaryW
Stranger
Re: Why is the PF tek recommended for newbies? [Re: Terrarium_Guy]
    #779454 - 07/27/02 12:58 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

My PF was done to the letter using the "maxium fruiting formula" on PF. I'm certain moisture content was the big problem. The jars that contaminated did so at the inoc points, most likely my bad for not flaming the needle every single time.

If it's only about a pressure cooker then by all means get one. I found a sweet 20 qt cooker on Ebay that I originally bought to distill alcohol. Never did get around to making the still, but it's sure handy now and it makes a tender roast!

Maybe my next rye experience will be a nightmare, remains to be seen. But I found this 1st attempt so rewarding that It's going to become my mainstay. I didn't even sterilize the potting mix... Not going to press my luck and will PC the mix next time as well.

Offlineparanoid2
Loc: ill noise
    #779456 - 07/27/02 01:01 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

My first time with pf was a disaster too--lost everything to black pin mold. However my second time (which is occuring as we speak) so far is doing better. The difference between my first and second attempts? Got my spores from a different vendor!

Hey Anno, gotta luv that windowlicker viddy!

--------------------
"My head feels like a frisbee."

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
    #779676 - 07/27/02 06:20 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

My little experience showed that every case is different, it depends on a whole lot, apart from outside parameters like climate conditions, there are a lot of personal parameters. apart from how differently me and you probably comprehend the meaning "clean your hands thoroughly"? or have u ever thought that in this forum are met hundreds of proven cultivators with hundreds of newbies like me, and they all try to communicate in english, while they are not all of them from an english-spoken country. for me, my first attempt failed because i was trying to understand in english what a man from holland was explaining. but i am greek. so sometimes, although the easy method IS pf tek, and that is no doubt about it, some people find it easier to use another method.

and after all, exceptions are to prove the rule

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

OfflineSwondPooping
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Female
Loc: third drawer from the top...
    #779734 - 07/27/02 07:08 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

PF tek is recommended for beginners because it is easy to follow for your very first time. I can see that any problems you had with it prompted you to search out other teks. I started with shroom wizards tek and had moderate success and plan on trying something different second go round. But I am very glad I started where I did, and took the time that those were colonizing/pinning/growing to read more and learn more.

PF tek & Shroomwizard Tek are both very easy to follow and easy to understand for a newcomer who doesn't have the vocabulary that we have all gained from reading more and more. Any problems you had with PF tek were of your own making, not the problem with the tek. I bet if you asked everyone on here, there will be a lot of people who had success with it. And those who did not can probably pinpoint where they went wrong.

Its a stepping stone, the shoulders of those who came before that we are standing on.

Good luck with future growth, and keep us posted with your continued success.

K

--------------------
^Pure Fiction^
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds