Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
My First ID Book + Some Pictures I Took!
    #776392 - 07/25/02 03:07 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Well, today I got my very first mushroom ID book! It is a Peterson?s Field Guide written by Kent and Vera McKnight, and it is simply called Mushrooms. I?m so very happy to finally have my own guide!

Towards the beginning of the summer I took some pictures of some mushrooms that I found while walking out in my mom?s woods. I tried to ID them using the book I have, but some of my identifications could be way off b/c I did not take a spore print or anything like that...

Anyway, here are the pictures and what I think might be the correct names:

^^^^^ This one I thought might be the Orange Stump Mushroom, or Naematoloma capnoides. I am really unsure on this one, but it was the closest I could find in my book.

^^^^^ This one I thought was really neat looking! And look at all those little pins around it! I am fairly sure it is Scaber Hydnum, or Sarcodon scabrosus. It was growing on a beautiful, mossy green stump.

^^^^^ This one I thought was neat because of how large it was! The picture just does not to justice to the size... It had to be over a foot across! I am fairly sure that this is called Dryad Saddle, or Polyporus squamosus.

^^^^^ This last one was pretty tough to ID... The closest I could come is a mushroom called Sienna Roof, or Pluteus chrysophaeus.

All of these mushrooms were located in northwest Pennsylvania and were photographed by me, using a macro lens on my mother?s Nikkon. Any comments on my pictures or whether or not my identifications are correct would be greatly appreciated! Hope you enjoyed

--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: My First ID Book + Some Pictures I Took! [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #776409 - 07/25/02 03:13 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Do these pictures look dark to all of you? I scanned and uploaded them using my dad's computer, and they looked perfect. But now that I view them on my own computer they look way too dark!

Is it just me???

I hope you all see them the way that they looked on my dad's computer b/c they looked a LOT better than what I am seeing now...

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#776416 - 07/25/02 03:17 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: My First ID Book + Some Pictures I Took! [Re: ]
    #776429 - 07/25/02 03:24 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

They look fine to me.

Great! It must just be my monitor for some reason... Just to be sure, on that last pic can you see the stem of the mushroom? Cuz on my monitor I can't see it at all, but on my dad's it showed up just fine!

You must have had a professional help you.

LOL... Thanks, but I hope you're joking!

I love all mushrooms but it is neat to see a few in one post that are just for science.

Good, I was hoping people wouldn't be too upset that they weren't magic mushrooms! I was thinking about putting a little disclaimer at the top but decided against it!

Thanks again!

RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#776437 - 07/25/02 03:27 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: My First ID Book + Some Pictures I Took! [Re: ]
    #776464 - 07/25/02 03:38 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I see the stem just fine.

GREAT!

All mushrooms are magic for those with the eyes to see.

Oh, I definitely agree with you on that one! I just meant 'magic' in the general connotation of how it is used on this site

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #776657 - 07/25/02 04:50 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

First, good job on the photos. I'm sure you've noticed how hard it is to take good photos of mushrooms, but you've done a great job.

As far as IDing, without spore prints (especially for gilled mushrooms) IDing can be almost impossible. The only ID I'm fairly sure on is that you've got the third one correct - Polyporus squamosus, or Dryad's Saddle.

Some tips which will probably help on IDing: your first goal is to determine which family the mushroom belongs to. There are only 14 families of gilled fungi currently used (by most mycologists). The mushrooms you have named would be Strophariaceae (Nematoloma capnoides), Hydnaceae (Sarcodon scabrosus), Polyporaceae (Polyporus squamosus), and Pluteaceae (Pluteus chrysophaeus). Once you have a family, work on the genus. Species comes last, and often you will not be able to get to a species, for a few reasons - the species you found may not be in your book(s), it may be an as yet unnamed species, and sometimes there's not enough information for you to accurately determine which it should be. It will probably help to know that I've seen a lot of professional, PhD mycologists who will not attempt to ID certain genera to species (except for very distinctive ones). Cortinarius, Clitocybe, Inocybe, Russula, and Ramaria all come to mind as genera which are very difficult to ID to species.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: My First ID Book + Some Pictures I Took! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #777890 - 07/26/02 07:01 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for your compliment and for your tips on ID'ing!

I have been into the cultivation aspect of mushrooms for a while, but I am just getting started on the hunting part; so my ignorance is great in this area. Thanks again!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflinePapa_Bear
M-M GOOD!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
    #778535 - 07/26/02 12:54 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Nice pics.....Good job getting a book and trying to ID on your own...it would be so much nicer if more hunters would get decent books and actually research thier prey than just picking anything they find and posting crappy pics or discriptions......"What are these????"

OfflineSporz
journeyman
    #781843 - 07/28/02 10:14 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Excellent pics.

Keep up the great work!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,734 topic views. 0 members, 17 guests and 9 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 14 queries.