Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefarmer88
Male User Gallery

Cube aging
    #7761868 - 12/15/07 01:49 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Seen a number of posts about older cubes or shrooms generally and refereneces to worms, grubs etc getting them. Posted this to show several "generations" on the same cow pie. Centre the oldies, left is one just past prime and right a younger specimen. I haven't seen any worms in cubes here (eastern Australia), that's good of course so wondering if the insects that eat them are a north American thing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Cube aging [Re: farmer88]
    #7761895 - 12/15/07 01:59 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

usually it's very small worms, and sometimes you wont see any on the outside but if you cut it down the middle you'll see lots. I think the insects are worldwide, it's just a means of decomposition. But yeah sometimes you'll find older mushrooms that have been pitied.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #7761960 - 12/15/07 02:17 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wondering if the insects that eat them are a north American thing?

No. It is a weather/season/humidity/temp/habitat thing usually.

In the dead of summer when it is so hot and humid that you are drenched in sweat after an hour of hunting, the shrooms you find will often have bugs/maggots in them. I've found that when the misquitos are fierce then so are the maggots. Also, the larva prefer the shrooms underneath the trees and in the woods (and that is usually where most of the misquitos are also, in the shade). Then the shrooms you find in an open field with no shade (and plenty of sunshine) there will be less larva to be found in those specimens. I guess I am mosty talking about hunting during the daytime, during the night-time the fucking misquitos are everywhere.

If most of the shrooms you finding are buggy/maggoty, when you pick a mature Cube, flip it over and blow a big healthy breath of air into the gills, this will send the buggies flying out of there (you don't want to bring many of those bugs home, because they will be flying all around your house). Plus, a healthy breath of air will make a lot of the larva emerge quickly, letting you know which collection bag the shroom belongs in (read below). Some fields have buggier shrooms than others, I tend to think it depends on the enviroment, if there are swamps in the pasture, lots of trees ect. It is kind of a mystery though.

If you can find shrooms in your area during the winter season, 99% of the shrooms you find will be bug-free, perfect specimens.

If you are interested in bringing home as many shrooms as possible, i suggest having two seperate collection bags, one for all the nice young specimens with little or no larva and another bag for the more mature beat up shrooms with larva in them. Get the buggy specimens in a food dehydrator as soon as you get home, dry them out completely within 16-24 hours with the temp of the dehydrator set at under 95 degrees, and the next day you have some decent shrooms still. Most of the larva will crawl out of the shrooms when in the dryer and end up at the bottom of your dehydrator dead and dried. I'm sure some of the larva will remain dead and dried up in your dried shrooms, but, who cares really, the shrooms are still in tact. If you get some shrooms with larva in them and just lay them out to just dry out over the period of several days, the larva will have more time to have a feeding frenzy ruining half your shrooms, turning some of them into useless mook, and degrading any of the salvageable ones potency big-time.

So get a dehydrator of some kind and get them dried in under 24 hours and you are good to go.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Cube aging [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #7762084 - 12/15/07 02:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

On a more off topic subject, I'm kind of stubborn about putting bug-spray on me, I don't use the shit. Don't like putting those chemicals on me.

I used to go out collecting in the fields basically everyday when the shrooms were out and about. In the heat of summers rainy season I would usually get bit by misquitoes sometimes maybe 600 times within a couple hours. For the first 20 minutes after hopping the fence the misquitos don't touch me, but once you start to sweat they're all over you (they are attracted to sweat). After a couple weeks of getting bit by thousands of misquitos your body kind of becomes immune to them in a way. Come home, take a cold shower, and all the misquito bites just dissappear basically.

Anyways, I am kind of crazy like that. Every summer I would start to think I got the west-nile-virus:grin:

When heading into the fields I would usually wear a plain green tshirt, olive green shorts (with no boxers on for some reason, hehehe, otherwise i always wear boxers, just not in the fields:)), shoes with no socks because if it is summer-time you'll often be tromping through puddles of water (plus it goes along with the no underwear no socks no bug-spray philosophy), an all-black non-reflective backpack with a water bottle, cigarettes, lighter, paper lunch bags, sometimes scissors (only if it is wet and rainy), a pencil, and a camera. And that's about it. Oh and a doobie sometimes, never exiting the field with the roach.

Invisiblefarmer88
Male User Gallery

#7762412 - 12/15/07 04:33 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Your sounding a bit nostalgic GG, off season where you are? The no undies activities is termed "going commando" or "free balling" in these parts, always liberating. With you on the chemicals. Everyone can't do it I know but hunting at dawn, heavy dew, still and cool is my favorite time. Sometimes I can smell them in the still air. If you look hard at the photo you can almost...

Some in this forum consider fresh mushrooms as unclean I have noticed, so worms just play into that line of thinking unfortunately. Not going to stop me. Sounds the same as the fruit fly issue, with fruit like guava, nearly always infested but some don't let that worry them, others freak out and won't touch them any time. It's visible wild life, the micro is aways there but not considered, it's unseen.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7762633 - 12/15/07 05:37 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

That is a beautiful picture of a field at dawn. Really makes me wish I got up earlier sometimes. But not enough to make me go to bed sooner.

I would nominate it for pic of the month, but I don't see any mushrooms in the field of view. Next time you see something like that, find some cool mushrooms and carry them there. (cactu style)

I made it my new desktop background.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #7762639 - 12/15/07 05:38 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

huh-ha! :smile: Just trying to relate some past experiences and tricks I learned to everyone. Sounds like you have everything under control already:)

Can't really say where I am living right now, other than somewhere in the United States. Somewhere between Miami and Seattle, and Bangor and San Diego.

Cool photo, I love that shit. My favorite memories from when I lived in Florida was being in cow pastures. The second my feet would touch the ground in a shroom-infested pasture, I would be happier than a clam in the water.

I ended up becoming quite jaded from the experience though. That last summer and winter seasons I spent in southwest Florida, I had permission to be on quite a few pastures, and I, quit collecting Cubensis mushrooms. That is the only psychoactive mushroom on the planet I have no interest in even eating anymore. So I would pass up hundreds of Cubes, only collecting Copelandia and subbalteatus mushrooms.. the last shrooms I got to pick in Florida were Copelandia mushrooms, and I just collected and identified and gave all of them to the people who were out there with me for free.

I'm in no hurry to eat shrooms anymore. Unless it is a species I have never tried before than I would jump at the opportunity.

The last psychoactives I ate were subbalteatus, from a lawn in Oregon.

Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

#7762854 - 12/15/07 06:39 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

do cubes just don't give you a nice experience anymore, or what? I find that rather strange. I've only done shrooms three times, so I guess you could say I'm rather inexperienced with them, but every time, they were cubensis, and they gave me a hell of a trip each time. Can you elaborate on why you don't go for them anymore? Did they give you a bad trip after a certain amount of times doing them??

--------------------
"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."  --Max Planck

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Cube aging [Re: tyler_0_durden]
    #7762889 - 12/15/07 06:49 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

They stopped teaching me.

Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

#7762914 - 12/15/07 06:59 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Ah, yes, that makes sense. different shrooms give you different insights...i hear cyans are much more introspective of a shroom than cubes. by the way can you check out my topic right below this one, I posted a new find today which I think is a cyan but I'm not sure...

--------------------
"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."  --Max Planck

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate