Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinedOshrOOm
Stranger

Hunted several types of Shrooms. Need help Identifying!
    #7750122 - 12/12/07 04:44 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Well basically these 3 different types of shrooms were found in the South East part of Florida. They were deep in the woods surrounded by austrailan pines , and palmetto plants. There are 3 types here;
Check out the pics.

http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic1bc5.jpg

and,

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shroomfd1.jpg

The first type is the orange one. This one was found basically on dead wood, attached to the log. They had no stem.

The second type is the Red/Black one. It was pure reddish/orangy when I picked it from the ground. I kept it in a bag and when I got home it was the color you see in the photo. This Red/Black shroom was found growing from the ground as well.

The third type is the Cream colored shroom. It was found growing in the ground and has a rather large head.

I need help identifying these shrooms. I would like to know if any are  eligible for human consumption.

I can't wait to get my teeth into these suckers :crazy2:
Help is appreciated
Thanks
Eric
shrOOMoN

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunted several types of Shrooms. Need help Identifying! [Re: dOshrOOm]
    #7750405 - 12/12/07 05:49 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

You need to provide better info, especially gill color/sporeprint if you really want to know what they are. But I'd say the orange ones may be some type of trametes, the maroon one is some type of hygrocybe, and I dunno about the other one. None of those are active or edible.

--------------------

OfflinedOshrOOm
Stranger

Re: Hunted several types of Shrooms. Need help Identifying! [Re: landsnorkler]
    #7750507 - 12/12/07 06:06 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Where can I locate the spore print?

Invisibleslackophage
Misanthropist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattleish
    #7750514 - 12/12/07 06:09 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

OfflinedOshrOOm
Stranger

#7750628 - 12/12/07 06:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

OfflinedOshrOOm
Stranger

#7750699 - 12/12/07 06:39 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Also, Just broke open the brownish one, and some white body and black headed worms came out. I mean they are micro worms. Is this good or bad. Also are the orange ones rule out of the question?

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7750714 - 12/12/07 06:40 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The reddish one is a Hygrocybe for sure.

The brownish one could be a Clitocybe or other genus. Nothing active or edible.

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunted several types of Shrooms. Need help Identifying! [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #7751672 - 12/12/07 10:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

the orange ones and hard to the touch are pycnoporus sanguineus this mushroms can be use in dye , make great colors with somo mortars. indicate tropical enviroment, have not stem and grow always on wood mostly dead wood.
the red one that chage to a blackish color is hygrocybe maybe conica or relative.
then the other with white gill dont really know what is it but maybe be something with white spores maybe lepiota or clytocybe seem pretty damage in some pictures, was not on wood ,
here is the picture
all my best vibrations

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #7751717 - 12/12/07 10:28 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Hi,

I always wondered what that orange shit is. I used to find them quite often in southwest Florida growing from small fallen tree branches and such... Never found a match for it in any of my books I have. I always suspected it might be medicinal though due to it's bright vibrant orange color (either that or completely poisonous hahah who knows). I suspect it is a sub-tropical-ish species only, and in southern Florida you will find a lot of more obscure species that are not yet described in many books.

There is a new book out now for southeastern mushrooms that I would like to see.. it's kind of pricey but Stamets sells it through his website. You might want to check it out if you're serious about southern mushrooms. Also, I highly recommend "Common Florida Mushrooms" by James Kimbrough.

Thanks for sharing your finds.

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunted several types of Shrooms. Need help Identifying! [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #7751786 - 12/12/07 10:45 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

now you know what are those , as you know all poliporaceous have medicinal qualitys, this are use in mexico to tread skin problems woons and cuts, the powder of the carphophoro is use ..is antinflamatory also. can be use to dye, and is a good indicator of disturbance in tropical zones . here is very well know for me .
and the poster mentioned australian pines that mean casuarinas since no pine for australia that i know , but casuarina wil indicate a hell of a disturbed area
all my best.

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Hunted several types of Shrooms. Need help Identifying! [Re: cactu]
    #7751790 - 12/12/07 10:46 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

the orange ones and hard to the touch are pycnoporus sanguineus

Shweet!~ Did you learn that from a book or from an online source? Do you find them in Mexico?

I'm kinda old-school and only use books still ha!:)

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunted several types of Shrooms. Need help Identifying! [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #7751814 - 12/12/07 10:51 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

from both very commond here in disturbed lands . book help a lot also , have done a few dye , was impresss for the results.
since i´m used to id many mushrooms in all my jobs, well i was force to learn many i come to the shroomery to learn more and kepp miself in shape for next seasom is so tired to be reading book all the time but very enlinghting ..
all my best..

--------------------

OfflinedOshrOOm
Stranger

Re: Hunted several types of Shrooms. Need help Identifying! [Re: cactu]
    #7752869 - 12/13/07 08:41 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Cactu:

So for the pycnoporus sanguineus how do I make the so called "DYE" you were describing. Also, the brown one or the red one can't be eaten?

Thanks
Eric

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
    #7753120 - 12/13/07 10:43 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i´m really glad you ask about it.
the  brown ones  don´t know exactly what it is if you found more post more picture in this site, the red one  are not edible and posibly toxic as many hygrocybe . so nome are to eat in mi opinion.

the idea is to pulverise the mushrooms since this mushrooms are hard some how, and the idea is to mix it with water so the color get out of the mushroom. so the prety basic idea is to boil the pulveised mushrooms with enouf water so the  cloth we  are putting can summerge into it, you just have to heat it not to boil complety  and move so the color penetrate the cloth . then straing the cloth  and  rinse only with warn water to clean  and then let dry ,that the most simple way now you can use salt to make  the color  don´t wash off so easyly , or mortar  to fix and change color, some mushrooms  let go a lot of ink  or color and the water can be reuse , if not  more mushrooms should be use and in great quantytys you can give a try  with small cloth and then go on with the quantyty of mushrooms you have .
so the procedure is like this.
1- clean mushrooms from wood or dirt, pulverise all you can  the more better, add to the water .
2-put to slow boil or heat,  and  add the cloth  until you say the color is in the water you turn off heat , and let cloth until water cold.
3. retire the cloth wash if necesary wash  with warn water, and dry  not with heat in a cold shadow area instead .
that´s it .  i will give you more  link for more methods .
http://www.allfiberarts.com/library/mushrooms/index.htm
http://www.andreyadesigns.com/collage.html
¨My little contribution to turn this toxicity around is NATURAL DYES. Most of my clothes are biodegradable and naturally dyed. When they are too old to wear I dig them into the soil, back to where it all came from.
I want to invite you to join me.
There are many natural dye teachers in the USA, some even dye with mushrooms like me. Turkey Red Journal is a great resource of information of teacher and techniques, so is the world wide web.

a good book.. http://astore.amazon.com/science-books-20/detail/081560680X
more http://www.shroomery.org/books/Mushrooms/2

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/sept99.html
http://sonic.net/~dbeebee/
http://theochem.ki.ku.dk/~pgs/fungifibre/fungifibre.html

i hope  this can be usefull 
all my best colorfull  vibrations :tripping:

A Brief History of the Art of Mushroom Dyeing

© Dorothy M. Beebee

In the beginning,
(1968, as near as any of us can remember), while multi-faceted artist, (sculpture/batik/wood block printing), Miriam C. Rice was teaching children about natural dyes in a class at the Mendocino Art Center, in Mendocino, CA., she began experimenting with natural dyes to make her own inks for her block prints.  During that time, encouraged by local mushroom-hunting friends, she was invited to go on a mushroom foray, led by the late eminent mycologist, Dr. Harry Thiers, to learn about the identification of local mushroom species.  Shortly thereafter, (always eager to combine the best possibilities of both worlds),

Miriam took a clump of sulphur yellow  Naematoloma fasciculare mushrooms, and tossed them into a dye pot with a bit of wool yarn.  Fortunately, (for all of us,) this action resulted in a clear bright lemon yellow dye and voilá “mushroom dyeing” was born!
1972 was a bumper crop year for mushrooms in California, and Miriam experimented with everything she found, attending all of the mushroom fairs and forays to identify the mushrooms she was using, while gradually building up a vast collection of labeled mushroom dyed fiber samples.
Miriam C. Rice
In 1973, a weaver friend encouraged Miriam to contact Thresh Publications in Santa Rosa, CA (a small publisher which had done several lovely little books on spinning, dyeing, and weaving) and show them her dye samples. Robert and Christine Thresh encouraged Miriam to write up her experiences and experiments. While teaching a class in textile arts at College of Redwoods in Fort Bragg, CA, she introduced the concept of using mushrooms for natural dyes. She encouraged the weavers, by using
cardboard and other simple looms, to weave entirely with Mushroom Dyed yarns. Many of these pieces were photographed and appeared later in her little book.
Meanwhile, the Threshes introduced Miriam to Dorothy Beebee, who agreed to do pen/ink illustrations of the mushrooms for Miriam’s book, thus beginning a long, flourishing, working relationship. Dorothy had been doing natural dyes and spinning since 1959, while working as a freelance scientific illustrator, and this was a natural combination of the best of both worlds for her too!

So, the wonderful little book, "Let’s Try Mushrooms for Color" by Miriam C. Rice, was published by Thresh Publications, Santa Rosa, CA in November 1974, while Miriam continued to experiment further and teach workshops in mushroom dyeing. A museum display of the book and its mushroom dyed weavings was conceived, and the exhibit "Natural Dyeing with Fungi" was opened in Willits, CA in August 1976.

from here http://theochem.ki.ku.dk/~pgs/fungifibre/fungifibre.html

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom