Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
I dont think dreams have any meaning whatsoever
    #7744896 - 12/11/07 12:45 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

sure you can find meaning in it, if you really bend the vague concepts to symbolize this and pin it to whatever you feel like, but you can do that with a fortune cookie as well.

There are very few things in this world that bother me more than someone trying to tell me about a dream, and then elaborate as to why it was so cathartic and meaningful.

IMO, they are conglomerations of RMA.... Random memories accessed (as opposed to the access being random which denotes the capability of a computer rather than the type of output).
events perceived by your senses during sleep can trigger a certain block of relevant memories.... so it is basically like one of those ad libs where you or your environment is setting the structure of the plot and your restless brain keeps supplying you with non-sequitur memories or qualities.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineelcharrosays
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: south east
Re: I dont think dreams have any meaning whatsoever [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #7744933 - 12/11/07 12:56 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i believe dreams are little dmt trips

do you believe in dmt trips?

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: I dont think dreams have any meaning whatsoever [Re: elcharrosays]
    #7744940 - 12/11/07 12:58 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I dont see any correlation really.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #7744945 - 12/11/07 12:59 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

How can I hope to convince someone who doesn't believe in psychology? :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: I dont think dreams have any meaning whatsoever [Re: Silversoul]
    #7744971 - 12/11/07 01:10 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

well, you probably cant, but this really isnt about trying to convince me.
I would like to hear your "scientific" psychological explanation as to why I might be wrong.

spare us if you are going to dribble the whole "dreams are a representation of your subconscious hopes and desires" crap.

If I am sleeping and my silk sheets rub my flaccid cock the right way, it would be an external stimulus that would probably conjure up memories of past girls I have wanted to bang, or have banged... not because I am subconsciously lonely and want a kid.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#7744977 - 12/11/07 01:12 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

YawningAnus said:
If I am sleeping and my silk sheets rub my flaccid cock the right way, it would be an external stimulus that would probably conjure up memories of past girls I have wanted to bang, or have banged... not because I am subconsciously lonely and want a kid.

And yet that would still be a manifestation of the subconscious. Any way you slice it, the subconscious rules over dreamtime.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: I dont think dreams have any meaning whatsoever [Re: Silversoul]
    #7745011 - 12/11/07 01:17 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

if you consider your subconscious to be an extrasensory type of thing, then sure.... but it ultimately has no meaning.

either I am lonely, or not... there is no subconscious loneliness or horniness.
would you consider the random boners in high school to be a subconscious action?

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#7745029 - 12/11/07 01:23 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The boner is not subconscious. The images it conjures up are.

--------------------

Offlineelcharrosays
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7745033 - 12/11/07 01:23 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

dmt is present in small quantities in your body as im sure you already know. when youre in deep rem sleep, the dreaming sleep, your body is pumping out much more dmt than usual. ever notice how as soon as you wake up in the morning the more you try to remember your dream the less you can? awful lot like dmt trips where you begin to forget things a few minutes after you come back. they just seem to share a common nature to me.

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #7745047 - 12/11/07 01:27 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

man, this is somewhat of a touchy subject with me. but i guess we have never talked about dreams before.

quite often, i have dreams that end up playing out in the waking world. two or three days before that last show at windows, i dreamt of going up to the bar, ordering a beer, the red lights were in the exact positions, making the same shadows, bawn was playing the exact same song, and annoying girl was sitting in the exact place when i looked over at her.

i immediately realized what was happening (or had already happened) and then snapped out of the recall when the guy brought me a blue moon

now, this has happened on many, many occasions. i have talked with my mom extensively about it, and she has it too, on about as regular an occurrence as myself. i have been with her a few times where all of a sudden a dream memory becomes what is happening. and they are always within a few days of happening, and sometimes the details change.

one time, we were driving, coming up to harding towards town, and saw a cyclist in the right hand lane. he was wearing everything he was in my dream, bike the same color, the amount of light showing through the dull gray clouds was the same. everything was the same except in my dream, a truck struck the cyclist, in the waking moment, he turned onto harding as we turned left

i think dreams can most definitely 'mean' things inso much as they can show things that may/will happen. although, i quite enjoy my crazy fun, not physically possible, and deep, intimate dreams that are just dreams

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: I dont think dreams have any meaning whatsoever [Re: demiu5]
    #7745111 - 12/11/07 01:41 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

you know, that is something I have never been able to rationalize.

it happens to me also... but it is never anything of any importance, and only lasts at most, 5 seconds.
it is always me turning a certain way, someone saying something, and certain people being in a certain position.... then it is over.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

#7745147 - 12/11/07 01:48 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i've had a few intense or exact scenarios that have played out from what was a dream beforehand

i can't make any sense of it either, although, i know more people that don't seem to have this than those that do. these are important and special events to me. it's like being forced into being in the moment, as opposed to just slipping in.

usually my heart rate will go up significantly and my breathing will become heavier. my skin turned cold, white, and sweaty that incident with the cyclist because i really thought we were going to watch him get hit by the truck that drove within a half-foot of him.

--------------------

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Straight Outta Compton Flag
    #7746410 - 12/11/07 06:39 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

elcharrosays said:
dmt is present in small quantities in your body as im sure you already know. when youre in deep rem sleep, the dreaming sleep, your body is pumping out much more dmt than usual. ever notice how as soon as you wake up in the morning the more you try to remember your dream the less you can? awful lot like dmt trips where you begin to forget things a few minutes after you come back. they just seem to share a common nature to me.

Has the DMT thing during REM sleep actually been proven yet?

--------------------

Offlineelcharrosays
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: I dont think dreams have any meaning whatsoever [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #7746432 - 12/11/07 06:43 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

It is recently thought that these molecules are responsible for our dream imagery. They are, just like melatonin, released at night, prior to REM-sleep and interact within the central nervous system. DMT (Di-Methoxy-Tryptamine) and 5-MeO-DMT (5-Methoxy-Tryptamine) are such tryptamines and serotonin derivatives. They can produce colour imagery, out of body(like) experiences, lucid dreams, visions of beings and/or animals, mystical states, subjective "other realities" as well as experiences of "being somewhere else." DMT and 5-MeO-DMT can be extremely frightening when smoked or injected for the first time.

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/pinealstory2.htm

--------------------

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

#7746465 - 12/11/07 06:49 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

elcharrosays said:
Quote:

It is recently thought that these molecules are responsible for our dream imagery. They are, just like melatonin, released at night, prior to REM-sleep and interact within the central nervous system. DMT (Di-Methoxy-Tryptamine) and 5-MeO-DMT (5-Methoxy-Tryptamine) are such tryptamines and serotonin derivatives. They can produce colour imagery, out of body(like) experiences, lucid dreams, visions of beings and/or animals, mystical states, subjective "other realities" as well as experiences of "being somewhere else." DMT and 5-MeO-DMT can be extremely frightening when smoked or injected for the first time.

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/pinealstory2.htm

Key words, "...It is recently thought...", that implies they're not 100% sure but making an educated guess. Not saying it's not true though.

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: I dont think dreams have any meaning whatsoever [Re: RonaldFuckingPaul]
    #7746508 - 12/11/07 06:58 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

also, it's dimethyl tryptamine, they lost a lot of credibility there, clearly not peer reviewed

--------------------

OfflineRonaldFuckingPaul
Our Dear Leader
Male User Gallery

Re: I dont think dreams have any meaning whatsoever [Re: demiu5]
    #7746518 - 12/11/07 07:00 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

demius said:
also, it's dimethyl tryptamine, they lost a lot of credibility there, clearly not peer reviewed

agreed

--------------------

Offlineextraordinary
Stranger
    #7746530 - 12/11/07 07:04 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Dreams are in my interpretation something close to what you said. They seem to me to be the subconscious (autonomous nervous system) playing back events that sparked high levels of emotion in your previous exsistence in random order. This is helpful because the subconscious attracts to us what we desire if we have the constant correct method of thinking and we can control our dreams. Isn't REM 5 the most a person can be absorbed into their subconscious without the use of drugs?

OfflineSapphireCat
Seeker
Male

Loc: Ireland
Re: I dont think dreams have any meaning whatsoever [Re: extraordinary]
    #7746668 - 12/11/07 07:42 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i dunno i find dreams and the mind depends alot on your belief system. it could be tapping into a higher state of mind, it could be processing information and mixing it with stray bits of thoughts detail and imagination. most importantly though: it could be more than just one of these things.

in the same way in our conscious thinking we are able to solve mathematical equations, draw a picture out of a plan in the mind, thoughts that conjour up emotions of a wide spectrum.

personally i don't think dreams can just be explained by one thing. if it is the subconscious mind acting out: it is uncontrolled, you haven't learned how to steer it, or understand anything about it, so it could be a jumble of its many functions.

i believe there is definitely something interesting and useful in dreams, but that it is most probably overlayered with alot of junk, and if it has multiple functions, what you are searching for in a dream could be constantly different, making it even harder to get something valuable from them. dismissing dreams as nothing important when so little is known about the power of the brain seems unwise.

--------------------
Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on Simplicity ~Plato

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#7747692 - 12/11/07 11:58 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Whether or not dreams are inherently "meaningful" is irrelevant if you consider that life itself is probably not inherently meaningful either. We interpret pretty much everything, so why not interpret dreams if in doing so one can arrive at some sort of insight or clarity on one's situation? Most of my dreams are random, chaotic nonsense that I forget within 2 minutes of waking up. But occasionally I strike a goldmine of interesting and eerily relevant symbolism. Random it may (or may not) be, but the content is still the content of my mind, drawn from my life experiences and emotional state at the time of dreaming or previously experienced. It seems that sometimes it comes together in such a way that it clearly speaks of something. If you want a scientific explanation you're going to have to dream on, because it's not the sort of thing that can be explained. We know next to nothing about the complex processes that occur within the brain, and science will never in a million years give any answers on how we should feel about what we discover. Science can't tell us what things mean, only how they function.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order