Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Whats the point of grains?
    #774002 - 07/24/02 04:41 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey all,

I was wondering whats the point of grains? How are they better than the original PF recipie? Are they better for casings? How long does it take in general to colonize a jar of grain?

Sorry for the newbie questions,
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewalt
?
Re: Whats the point of grains? [Re: Fd3000]
    #774029 - 07/24/02 04:49 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

all i'm gonna say to this is dude!

OfflineMycelium
THC Junkie
Male
    #774031 - 07/24/02 04:49 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I probably shouldn't be answering this because I don't use it, but I do know that people use it because it is colonized faster than the traditional BRF/Verm. You NEED a pressure cooker with grain, from what I know, or you will almost always deffinately get contams.

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Re: Whats the point of grains? [Re: Mycelium]
    #774058 - 07/24/02 04:57 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Well sorry but i never ever tried to learn anything about grains, im still a newb here dont forget.

I looked in the FAQs, they didnt really say whats the reason to use grains opposed to verm/BFR . Im not trying to insult grain users in any way.

Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

Loc: GodsCountry
    #774085 - 07/24/02 05:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The increased number of innoculation points when spawning bulk substrates

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: staindblue]
    #774148 - 07/24/02 05:24 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Whats the point of grains? [Re: matts]
    #774166 - 07/24/02 05:30 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Short & Sweet. Once you have the hang of it................ more, better, quicker, easier, cheaper & produces massive bulk spawn, time & time again with grain to grain transfers. Read bulk neglect tek & learn.....dude . SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: matts]
    #774191 - 07/24/02 05:39 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #774198 - 07/24/02 05:42 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Since you can shake it you can colonize higher amounts of spawn faster. Quart jars of rye are fully colonized in 10 days in my experience. A quart of BRF would take a long time unless you broke it down into seperate 1/2pint jar or used a lot of innoculant. It spawns nicely with lots of innoculation points and is very easy to multiply w/o constant multi-spore innoculations utilizing grain-to-grain transfers.

Cheaper...faster...much more efficient...

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

OfflineKilla420
Alien Lover
Male User Gallery
Loc: Down South
Re: Whats the point of grains? [Re: phrozendata]
    #774212 - 07/24/02 05:47 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The best thing about using birdseed is when your casing. I was shocked when I barely squeezed the birdseed to case and it all broke up nice and perfect for the casing. With brf/verm I always squish all the myclieum up trying to break that shit up. I have noticed that grains are alot faster too like everyone has been saying and it is way cheaper in the long run.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#774577 - 07/24/02 08:57 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Grain is just the reccomended substrate for many mushroom species.

Grain is not faster however to germinate. It takes a few more days to see any sort of growth. Once growth has been established, yes, you can shake them and it really does increase after the first shaking.

Secondly grain is a little harder to master as its about water content. Cant be too wet or it will contam easy, and cant be too dry or else noting will even grow.

You have to use a Pressure cooker to kill any spores or bacteria that would be detrimental to growth.

Grain is much better to use when spawning bulk substrates as each grain represents a "individual innoculation" spot in the manure or compost. With brf/verm cakes you really have to break it up and use a lot because it is mostly verm.

Its hard to get good flushes with straight grain casings as well as the water content is hard to get perfect to get big flushes with lots of big mushrooms because there is just not that much water. Ive had the best sucess with spawning it into manure.

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Whats the point of grains? [Re: angryshroom]
    #774587 - 07/24/02 09:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"It takes a few more days to see any sort of growth"

I usually see good strong growth in exactly 3 days with multispores innoculations. Granted, agar transfers might take longer *shrugs*. 1:1 grain:water has worked really well for me and I dont even have to soak it for 24hours. I guess I lucked out! Rye is a little more likely to contaminate to bacteria! Birdseed is a little harder to use. I guess theres a little learning curve to both of them.

Caseing can be a little harder with whole grains. I think finidng an ideal casing depth vs. substrate depth is ideal. TMC has some ideas on that one! Wheat straw is another great bulk substrate!

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags