Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Western Digital want to loose their business
    #7731905 - 12/08/07 04:20 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Western Digital drive is DRM-crippled for your safety

Western Digital's 1TB My Book World Edition external hard drive has been crippled by DRM for your safety.

A kindly Reg reader tipped us off that the remote-access HDD won't share media files over network connections. Which is, as you can see here, the entire stinking point of it.

It's a scary world full of potentially unlicensed media. We're fortunate there's a hard drive vendor willing to step forward and do some indiscriminate policing for us.

From the WD site:

"Due to unverifiable media license authentication, the most common audio and video file types cannot be shared with different users using WD Anywhere Access."

WD's list of banned file types encompasses over 35 extensions. This includes AAC, MP3, AVI, DivX, WMV, and Quicktime files. And why not — Windows TMP files too.

The storage device is billed as a "surprisingly simple and secure way to access and share data and photos" using your home or office network. And technically that's true — namely, the "way" in question is not letting you do it. Abstinence is simple and secure. You've got to hand it to Western Digital.

If you must have the drive, you could work around the crippled WD Anywhere Access client app. Or be satisfied sharing your impressive collection of .doc files. But this is — supposedly — a remote access hard drive.

So what's the point if WD is going to use a shotgun feature killing technique and assume there isn't a legitimate and legal reason to share an AVI file? (Hello, digital camera).

That's a very good question. ®
----------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------

And here's one of the comments

Easy workaround
By Matt Brigden
Posted Friday 7th December 2007 19:13 GMT
Go

Zip the file . Works fine on mine lol .

Im more concerned with the nobbled ethernet . 4.6mbps max transfer takes the Michael . Really helpful limitation on a drive billed as 10/100/1000 . Several months down the line and still no fix for it . WD have admitted the transfer speed sucks and are "looking into it" . Try looking into it with your eyes open ......

Theres no need to use the mionet software on the cd as you can access to it via java from the mionet site .

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Western Digital want to loose their business [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #7749920 - 12/12/07 03:50 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Western Digital want to loose their business [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #7750627 - 12/12/07 06:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

ive been using seagate strictly for the past few years. this is just a horrible idea. who is going to spend money on a hard drive that doesnt let you transfer your files!?

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Western Digital want to loose their business [Re: kotik]
    #7751028 - 12/12/07 07:43 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Why does western digital care? That's what I don't understand.

What is the force making them take this step? It doesn't help the product's functionality, in fact it hurts it. They wouldn't face legal trouble, though someone could sue for anything, as the Sony Betamax or whatever precedent would absolve them of liability.

Basically I don't see the point, are they owned by a big media producer? Why do they care?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Western Digital want to loose their business [Re: johnm214]
    #7752506 - 12/13/07 03:37 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The problem is with the third party MioNet software (WD Anywhere Access) included with the drive. Western Digital is in spin control. They have pointed out that Samba or Linux can be installed instead. They even have instructions on the western digital site on how to do this (with Samba at least). I'm guessing they were not expecting such a serious backlash from consumers.

As far as why? If a lawyer wasn't involved in pushing the decision, I'll eat my shoes. Three acronyms: RIAA, MPAA and DMCA.

I love this... from WD's site...
Quote:

This storage system and all the files on it are always accessible when you need them, even when your local computer is turned off.*

*Due to unverifiable media license authentication, the most common audio and video file types cannot be shared with different users using WD Anywhere Access.

What file types?

AAC Advanced Audio Coding
AIF Audio Interchange File
AIFC Audio Interchange File
AIFF Audio Interchange File Format
AMF DSMIA/Asylum Module File
ASF Advanced Streaming Format
ASX Advanced Stream Redirector
AVI Audio Video Interleave
CDA CD Audio
DVI DivX AVI
DIVX DivX AVI
FAR Farandoyle Tracker Music Module
IT Impulse Tracker
ITZ Impulse Tracker
KAR Karaoke MIDI
MDZ Cubic Player/Cross-View Music Module Description
MOV QuickTime Video
MP1 MPEG Layer 1 (Audio)
MP2 MPEG Layer 2 (Audio)
MP3 MPEG Layer 3 (Audio)
MP4 MPEG Layer 4 (Video)
MPA MPEG Audio Stream, Layer I, II or III
MPE MPEG Video
MPEG MPEG Video
MPG MPEG Video
MPGA MPEG Layer 3 (Audio Stream)
MPV2 MPEG Audio Stream, Layer II
OGG OGG Bitstream
OKT Oktalyzer Tracker Module
PTM PTM - Poly Tracker Module (Audio)
QT QuickTime Video
QT1 QuickTime Video
VOB Video Object (DVD Video)
VOC Creative Labs Sound
WM Windows Media Audio or Video
WMA Windows Media Audio
WMV Windows Media Video

Woohoo, they forgot FLAC!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale