Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebeeplus
Stranger
the monotub
    #7715699 - 12/04/07 02:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I am interested in the monotub, but i have a few questions.

1) Is the monotub basically just a large casing? Do you just lay down a layer of verm, then crumble your cakes, then lay the casing layer?

2) How many cakes(if more than one) do you think I can fit in the following tub:
-(20 Quarts/ 19 Liters)
-9" tall
-8.5" wide
-11.5" long

I would like to fit as many as I can, without risking overlay, if that is a problem with monotubs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: the monotub [Re: beeplus]
    #7715919 - 12/04/07 03:11 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Monotubs are fruiting chambers.

You can crumble and case your cakes in one. As to how many cakes you can get into there, I don't know... How many cakes do you have? Remember that the thickness of the substrate that you case will be proportional to the amount that you yield. For example, a 1 inch substrate depth will not produce as many fruits, or fruits as large as would be produced with 4 inches of substrate.

So, you might look into spawning those cakes to a bulk sub, which is something that is more common when you're talking about monotubs. It would stretch those cakes much further then direct casing.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

OfflineCheesekiller
Mad Scientist
Male

Loc: Central NY
Re: the monotub [Re: thedefone]
    #7715990 - 12/04/07 03:25 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Horse poo sub :thumbup:

--------------------
Bulk grower with "some" success.

Cloning Machine 

Nice Lids

A few pics of my DT setup

Offlinebeeplus
Stranger
    #7716105 - 12/04/07 03:47 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I have (6) 1/2 pint cakes. In all of the pictures I saw of monotubs, the layers were just layed down in the tub.

So what exactly is the point of a monotub? If it is just a fruiting chamber, what is so special about it, besides the fact that it is "automatic"?

Is there any way I can [successfully] get all of my 6 jars into one casing without using a bulk substrate, as I have never used bulk subs before (this is my first grow)

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

#7716367 - 12/04/07 04:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I made you some links. I don't know why, I just did. So, read them.

Why you may want to go bulk
Do you want more PF jars for a bulk op?
Coir as Bulk
Monotub teks

If you do decide to straight case, just be sure that you end up with a substrate depth of at least ~2 inches.

--------------------

Offlinebeeplus
Stranger
    #7717025 - 12/04/07 07:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

thanks alot, as I realize that you took a good chunk of time to put those links together, my last question is, how does the monotub regulate humidity? You never have to spray it, and there is no perlite, so does the verm in the casing layer take this job, or do you not need humidity for some reason?

OfflinePooter
Shroom Mongler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: With waldo.
    #7717139 - 12/04/07 07:55 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Humidity comes from the casing layer and the bulk substrate. When you do a monotub, you basically create a tiny ecosystem inside the box.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

#7717141 - 12/04/07 07:55 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The idea here is that when you use a monotub, the substrate itself will regulate the humidity in the chamber. So, lets just say that you go bulk...

1) Spawn those cakes to the bulk substrate, cover any cut holes you have in your monotub, and incubate.

2) When the bulk is colonized, case it and re-incubate.

3) When the casing has been snatched up by the sub, uncover the holes in your tub and use some polyfill, or tyvek, or something to filter your FAE.

At this point, the maintenance of ultrahigh RH levels isn't quite as critical as it would be if you were dealing with cakes, and the monotub will provide levels high enough for what you need to accomplish. Of course, if you spot your casing really drying out, you can spray it, but with a little practice it should approach the set and forget level. If you're interested in monotubs that involve you in the RH maintenance: read this ---> For future reference

Also, I read in enough places that the lower verm layer was not necessary, that I quit doing it. All that it is doing down there is acting as a bathroom for the mycelium, collecting metabolites. There must have been some downsides that I don't remember anymore.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.. It's my pleasure to help. I learn more shit looking it up for other people, than I do any other way. Good luck to you.

p.s. really, go with the bulk.. learn up on pasteurizing the subs and get busy doing the real thing. my 2 cents.

--------------------

Offlinebeeplus
Stranger
    #7717310 - 12/04/07 08:32 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks man! I love everything about growing mushrooms. learning to grow is so much fun!

I'm sure you've heard of miracle grow moisture control (MGMC). Would that be a suitable bulk sub? It has slow release nutrients. I initially bought it as a casing layer, but now i think its worth giving it a shot for my sub.

So, my basic setup will be, lay down a trash bag inside my tub, layer of [pasteurized] MGMC, crumbled PF cakes, another layer of MGMC[pasteurized again, i'm assuming?]. Then I will make 8 holes in the sides of the tub and fill with polyfill to create FAE.

Is that a suitable setup?

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #7717339 - 12/04/07 08:37 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

beeplus said:
I'm sure you've heard of miracle grow moisture control (MGMC). Would that be a suitable bulk sub? It has slow release nutrients. I initially bought it as a casing layer, but now i think its worth giving it a shot for my sub.

So, my basic setup will be, lay down a trash bag inside my tub, layer of [pasteurized] MGMC, crumbled PF cakes, another layer of MGMC[pasteurized again, i'm assuming?]. Then I will make 8 holes in the sides of the tub and fill with polyfill to create FAE.

Is that a suitable setup?

NO MGMC is not a suitable bulk substrate. It has little nutrional value to fungi. It is primarily peat moss. If you only have a few cakes, either A) spawn them to monotub using coco coir/worm castings as substrate if you don't want to use POO. Hpoo works VERY well in these monotubs. Otherwise, ditch the monotub idea and create a small fruiting chamber.

I'd advise going the monotub route.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlinebeeplus
Stranger
Re: the monotub [Re: derx]
    #7717359 - 12/04/07 08:40 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

are there any bulk subs that do not need to be sterilized or pasteurized?

I have my reasons for this question.

P.S. What is a mainstream chain store that carries worm castings or coir, i cant have my house smelling like boiling Hpoo.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

#7717399 - 12/04/07 08:47 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know of any stores that carry either. It would be some type of local gardening shop. Hydro shops especially carry both.

No, there are no bulk substrates that do not require pasteurization. This is why I advised you to create a small fruiting chamber and birth your cakes in there. You will learn a lot through this process and IMO it is essential to crawl before you can run.

--------------------

InvisibleSoY
I am the LizardKing
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
    #7717400 - 12/04/07 08:48 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I am trying to figure out what to do with a bunch of poo cakes after the initial invitro flush. I have heard that multiple flushes on uncased poo aren't that great and thought about using small monotubs. Does anyone think that would be a bad idea? I don't want to screw up the mycelium in the middle of its fruiting process but I want to maximize this colonized substrate. Suggestions?

**and no I do not want to use them as spawn

--------------------

"The choiceless truth of who you are is revealed to be permanently here permeating everything. Not a thing and not separate from anything."--Gaganji
"Yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream."
"My karma ran over my dogma!"

Edited by SoY (12/04/07 08:49 PM)

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

#7717419 - 12/04/07 08:56 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The MGMC is more suitable as the casing. I couldn't find anyone who'd used it as a bulk. I use coir as a sub. It works damn well, is easy to get, and it works damn well. If there's no hydroponic store in your town (there's one in mine, and that's saying a lot), hit up Petsmart look for it in the reptile bedding.

Lots of people use coffee at about 20-40% by volume to add nitrogen to the bulk, but I use worm castings because I think coffee is horrible stuff. RR says that gypsum up to 10% by volume helps stabilize the pH, and increases flushes. So, these are things that will make up a good bulk sub without having to deal with horse shit. People say it works awesome, and I'm sure it does, but I'd rather not cook shit in the same place I cook dinner.

As far as preparing your bulk sub, what you do is:

1) Mix it all up together... let's say 70coir/20coffee/10gypsum
2) Pasteurize it. Don't sterilize it.
3) Put it in your monotub, and mix your crumbled cakes into it evenly.
4) Cover and incubate.

And so on, and so forth. We don't need layers here. When the bulk is colonized, case it with the MGMC.

--------------------

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

#7717443 - 12/04/07 09:02 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

thedefone said:
People say it works awesome, and I'm sure it does, but I'd rather not cook shit in the same place I cook dinner.

a little insecure are we?

--------------------

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Re: the monotub [Re: derx]
    #7717459 - 12/04/07 09:06 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Desperately insecure. So much so, that I'm already hiding under my bed from you.

--------------------

Offlinesynergistic
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
    #7717682 - 12/04/07 09:50 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Hey if you don't mind me asking why do you think coffee is horrible stuff, it certainly seems like the go to coir substrate additive.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate