Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCaptain Cubensis
Bleeding HeartLiberal

Online Gypsum Supplier?
    #7715228 - 12/04/07 12:34 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Does anyone know on one? Can't seem to find ANY gypsum for sale online, not even via Shroomery sponsors.

If gypsum is THE CRITICAL casing additive, then how come Myco Supply, Mushie Mart, MycoPath, MushBox, etc. do not carry it, whereas they carry crushed Oyster shell and Hydrated Lime.

This is what MycoSupply has to say about gypsum.

"When preparing a casing layer its important to add to correct buffers to maintain a healthy pH level. For example, unlike hydrated lime, Agaricus mushrooms should not contain gypsum, as it drives the pH down in interaction with metabolites of the mycelium. This will lower the ultimate yield of mushrooms. Calcium Carbonate is the preferred source of calcium in casing, as it buffers the pH upward."

http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=CALC01

Please, I am not being snotty, honestly, but when an additive is touted as ESSENTIAL, but not carried by any vendors, well, it makes me wonder.

You would think ONE SPONSOR would carry such an IMPORTANT additive.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBUDDHA_702
Master Mycologist In Training
Male

Loc: Some Country
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #7715255 - 12/04/07 12:42 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Mycopath does carry gypsum but not lime.
Myco Supply carries lime & gypsum.

I got my gypsum at mycopath for like 85 cents a pound.

Edited by BUDDHA_702 (12/04/07 12:43 PM)

Bleeding HeartLiberal

Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: BUDDHA_702]
    #7715287 - 12/04/07 12:50 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Cool man thanks a lot, you are right, Myco Path does carry gypsum, thanks for the kind correction! But I can't seem to add any to my cart?

Edited by Captain Cubensis (12/04/07 12:52 PM)

InvisibleBUDDHA_702
Master Mycologist In Training
Male

Loc: Some Country
    #7715297 - 12/04/07 12:52 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

No problem,I just hope mycopath starts to carry lime. That's the only thing they don't have that I need.

Bleeding HeartLiberal

Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: BUDDHA_702]
    #7715302 - 12/04/07 12:54 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

But still can't find it at Myco Supply, and can't add to cart at Myco Path. Any suggestions?

Can you find the link?

Seems like Myco Path has a pic of gypsum but no product to sell.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7715303 - 12/04/07 12:54 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Every agaricus farm in the world that I'm aware of uses gypsum in their substrates and casing. All you have to do is google 'agaricus' and 'gypsum' and you'll see. Gypsum tends to hold the pH stable, as the mushroom metabolites try to swing it lower. Gypsum is not a substitute for lime. You still need to pH correct casing material with lime.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Bleeding HeartLiberal

Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7715317 - 12/04/07 12:58 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

So ideally, you will use gypsum, lime, and calcium carbonate right?

In what levels of each?

And really, where is the link that one can buy from?

And then why did myco supply say that about gypsum?

Is there an online link to buy gypsum that you know of?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7715363 - 12/04/07 01:12 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Calcium carbonate is lime. Hydrated lime is calcium carbonate(crushed limestone) that has been heated in a kiln. The result in brief, is that it becomes water soluable so it goes to work right away, making it my personal choice for pH contol. If you use limestone, oyster shell flour, or calcium carbonate, there is a lag time before the lime raises the pH. You'll want to pH balance your casing material to a pH of around 8 to start.

I won't speak for why someone made a mistake on their website, other than stuff happens like that in any technical field. In addition, my experience isn't the last word on any subject. I have however, sent them a pm.

With the amount of gypsum you'll use, and the fact that it's heavy and expensive to ship, I'd suggest a local nursery. I've never yet been to one that doesn't carry it. I get 25 lb bags of horticultural grade gypsum right up the street for just over $3. If you can't find it locally, and don't want to smash up a sheet of drywall(sheetrock) order your gypsum from a vendor.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Bleeding HeartLiberal

#7715402 - 12/04/07 01:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Calcium carbonate is lime. Hydrated lime is calcium carbonate(crushed limestone) that has been heated in a kiln. The result in brief, is that it becomes water soluble so it goes to work right away, making it my personal choice for pH control. If you use limestone, oyster shell flour, or calcium carbonate, there is a lag time before the lime raises the pH. You'll want to pH balance your casing material to a pH of around 8 to start.
RR

Thanks Roger, so to clarify, there is no need for crushed oyster shell if you have hydrated lime, and all you need is Hydrated Lime and Gypsum.

The Lime raises the pH, and the gypsum buffers it from metabolites that would increase the pH over time.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7715603 - 12/04/07 02:07 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yis

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: Nibin]
    #7715845 - 12/04/07 02:56 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

and the gypsum buffers it from metabolites that would increase the pH over time.

Almost. The metabolites want to decrease pH, as in lower it. The gypsum tends to keep pH stable.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleGlacier Creek
The Chef
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #7716234 - 12/04/07 04:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Do it best hardware stores carry agriculture gypsum. Thats what I use.

--------------------

Google "Earthly Info" to find my mushroom recipes. #1 baby.. yeah...

WARNING: All messages posted under this profile
are actually algorithmicly generated by an AI computer program.  No truth or actual events are being generated, and as a result cannot be investigated for thier validity.  (message 2345433)

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#7773240 - 12/18/07 10:01 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

and the gypsum buffers it from metabolites that would increase the pH over time.

Almost. The metabolites want to decrease pH, as in lower it. The gypsum tends to keep pH stable.
RR

I'm curious how Gypsum maintains a ph level when it cannot react with hydrogen ions in soil.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: Fraggin]
    #7773832 - 12/18/07 01:28 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Who says it can't react with the hydrogen atoms in the substrate?

There is water in the substrate, in a given amount of water some of the molecules decompose into OH- and H3O+

Basic Chemistry.

--------------------

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#7773897 - 12/18/07 01:48 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Nibin said:

There is water in the substrate, in a given amount of water some of the molecules decompose into OH- and H3O+

Basic Chemistry.

An abundance of hydrogen ions is indicative of a high ph. Calcium Sulfate does not transport hydrogen ions in turn lowering ph. It's a common myth that gypsum added to acidic soil, will lower a ph. It can however lower sodic characteristics by converting salt to calcium.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7773981 - 12/18/07 02:16 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

It's a common myth that gypsum added to acidic soil, will lower a ph

I've never heard that one. Gypsum added to an acidic soil will raise the pH.

Gypsum has been used as a soil conditioner for a very long time, and in mycology since I've been around. I know several articles that came out in the 70's, showing a dramatic increase in yields across many species when gypsum at up to ten percent was added to the substrate.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7774075 - 12/18/07 02:39 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fraggin said:
Quote:

Nibin said:

Basic Chemistry.

An abundance of hydrogen ions is indicative of a high ph. Calcium Sulfate does not transport hydrogen ions in turn lowering ph. It's a common myth that gypsum added to acidic soil, will lower a ph. It can however lower sodic characteristics by converting salt to calcium.

This shows you haven't got a clue of chemistry. An abundance of hydrogen ions is indicative that a substrate is acid and so has a LOW pH

pH is an inverse logarithmic representation of the concentration of hydrogen atoms

Get your basics right please.

--------------------

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#7774911 - 12/18/07 06:32 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Nibin said:
Quote:

Fraggin said:
Quote:

Nibin said:

Basic Chemistry.

This shows you haven't got a clue of chemistry. An abundance of hydrogen ions is indicative that a substrate is acid and so has a LOW pH

pH is an inverse logarithmic representation of the concentration of hydrogen atoms

Get your basics right please.

A typo dictates a lack of knowledge in chemistry? Amazing! Anyway, I'm trying to get clarification on the use of gypsum to control ph levels since the research I have found is contradictive to popular belief here. I understand that gypsum is used as a soil conditioner and does the the ability to remedy sodic soil. Also I realize people have used gypsum as a substrate additive for years with great success.However, everything I have found regarding using gypsum to regulate ph all seems to be a misunderstanding of the effects of gypsum. The only factor that seems to not be taken into account is the high ratio of gypsum:substrate used in mycology vs. the lower ratio of Gypsum:Soil in horticultural studies.

I just wanted to get clarification on the popular practice of using gypsum. Not have a pissing contest.

OfflineMolasses
sobriety with aside of what thefuck am i doing?
Male

Loc: Marijuanaville, Vermont
    #7774917 - 12/18/07 06:34 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

if you still have issues getting gypsum, pm me, i've got a 40 pound bag and would be willing to mail some for trade*a print or something*.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7775106 - 12/18/07 07:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry, I might of sounded a bit harsh there but it is a pretty big typo. I always double check any post regarding pH as it is easy to let it slip and mix up and down.

Anyway, I'll look into this. My chemistry is rusty, and inorganic was never my strong point but I'll have a chat with a friend who is an inorganic chemist and see what he says.

Even so, I think we can all agree that it has it's uses, be it as a calcium/sulfur supplement or as a pH buffer.

Once again, sorry, didn't intend to be insulting.

I'll get out a notebook tomorrow and do some calculations, it's a while since I played about with dissociation constants and stuff. I hope I can find the info for calcium sulfate dihydrate somewhere.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate