Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesotakone
Stranger
Mycelium grows too slow (first growing experiment)
    #7714399 - 12/04/07 09:00 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Hi guys.

I inoculated my jars with Ecuador and Golden Teacher species about 4 weeks ago (2 jars for each culture). For substrate I used seeds of barley. I know that it isn't good for growing shrooms, but at this time I didn't know where to buy wheat or other grain.

Now substrate is almost colonized by mycelium, but there is top layer of seeds where mycelium don't grow:

The same situation is in 1 other jar.

I know that 4 weeks is quite long for colonization of such jars. Should I wait longer or do something right now? Maybe I can pour away uncolonized seeds and proceed with casing?

My another question is about a strange liquid which collects on the bottom of 2 jars.  Mycelium at this place don't grow too and is colorized by liquid in light brown color. I think it is superfluous water from seeds, but it may be some kind of bacteria too. Cannot make a photo, because haven't a camera right now.

It's my first experiment with cultivation and in next time I'll use wheat for substrate. But what can you advice to do with this jars? :smile:

PS: English isn't my native language, so sorry for possible errors.

BR, Mike.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: Mycelium grows too slow (first growing experiment) [Re: sotakone]
    #7714410 - 12/04/07 09:04 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

well.. standing water in the jars is not good.. a possibility for the myc not growing on the top could be no moisture in the top half cause its now puddled up on the bottom..

try BRF... try my Tek or one of the other PK style teks.. use brown rice flour... perfect for first timers... if followed correctly, my tek and the others on here work everytime..

Offlinec0_hush
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium grows too slow (first growing experiment) [Re: sotakone]
    #7714413 - 12/04/07 09:06 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

What's the incubator temps? I don't know if this is a good advice but when the bottom section is 100% colonized, you can take the stuff out and cut off the top part. The myc looks kinda thin in those pics so maybe more waiting is in order...

--------------------

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: Mycelium grows too slow (first growing experiment) [Re: c0_hush]
    #7714440 - 12/04/07 09:16 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

slow growing MYC is better that fast growing contam.

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Offlinesotakone
Stranger
Re: Mycelium grows too slow (first growing experiment) [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #7718478 - 12/05/07 04:44 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for your replies.

Quote:

well.. standing water in the jars is not good.. a possibility for the myc not growing on the top could be no moisture in the top half cause its now puddled up on the bottom..

try BRF... try my Tek or one of the other PK style teks.. use brown rice flour... perfect for first timers... if followed correctly, my tek and the others on here work everytime..

Yes, you're right. Top seeds seems to be drier that bottom. But those pictures was taken 4 days ago and now I see that myc grows in top layer too. Slow, but grows. So I'll wait longer.

Thanks for your tek, maybe I'll try it in next time.

Quote:

What's the incubator temps? I don't know if this is a good advice but when the bottom section is 100% colonized, you can take the stuff out and cut off the top part. The myc looks kinda thin in those pics so maybe more waiting is in order...

It's about 34C now (93F), but it vary sometimes. I know that such temp is not optimal, but I haven't any termo regulator right now. In my room temperature is about 23-25C.

First two weeks jars was in shelf (room temperature) and mycelium was really thin. But after I made a wood box for jars and placed it very close to central heating radiator. Then mycelium began to grow much faster and became strong.

Quote:

slow growing MYC is better that fast growing contam

You're right. I think that water in bottom is some kind of bacteria, but for now myc totally beats it :smile:

So I decided to wait until myc will colonize all substrate. BTW, is there a maximum time for which mycelium can be in jar?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds