Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemushroomplume
Stranger

Caring About What Others Think?
    #7660611 - 11/20/07 08:43 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

How often have you heard someone say something along these lines?

"I could care less about what others think of me. I'm just me and if they don't like it, they can just **** off."

Is it actually possible to not care what others think of you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Loc: SOLARIS
Re: Caring About What Others Think? [Re: mushroomplume]
    #7660641 - 11/20/07 08:50 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

people that say that are just scared for the most part. It is possible but i dont think it would be much fun. It would be all chicks with hairy armpits and guys that smell awful.

--------------------
Man is timid and apologetic; he is no longer upright; he dares not say "I think," "I am," but quotes some saint or sage. He is ashamed before the blade of grass or the blowing rose.Man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time
TRANSCEND

Offlinemushroomplume
Stranger

Re: Caring About What Others Think? [Re: Jack Albertson]
    #7660662 - 11/20/07 08:56 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

haha, true.

My father actually teaches, we were having lunch one day and he was telling me a story about a kid who said to his face one day "I don't care what you think about me! I'll do whatever I blah blah blah"

That's what got me thinking about this. I hear people say this so much. But I gurantee if you ask them to dress up differently than they normally do or tell them to go fart in front of some girl. They would say no in an instant.

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this mindset :strokebeard:

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #7660689 - 11/20/07 09:03 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

There is a difference about simply not caring what others think about you, and deliberately piss or gross people off.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibleJack Albertson
bismillah rahmani rahim
Male User Gallery

Loc: SOLARIS
Re: Caring About What Others Think? [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7660696 - 11/20/07 09:06 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

well not caring about other's opinions and not wanting to make an ass of yourself are different too.

--------------------
Man is timid and apologetic; he is no longer upright; he dares not say "I think," "I am," but quotes some saint or sage. He is ashamed before the blade of grass or the blowing rose.Man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time
TRANSCEND

Offlinemushroomplume
Stranger

#7660701 - 11/20/07 09:07 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

What's the differnce Mushroom Trip?

If one doesn't care what others think, why the hell would they mind farting next to someone?

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#7660716 - 11/20/07 09:12 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Mmmm... maybe because they don't want to? Maybe because they consider it stupid? Maybe because they rally have better things to do with their lives?
If your statement was true, and if there were no laws or any other forms of punishment (including being judged in any way by the rest) for murder, would you just start to kill people?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

Offlinemushroomplume
Stranger

#7660744 - 11/20/07 09:22 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I think you may have misunderstood me. I don't condone that we fart and kill people.

*You say they would find the idea stupid. Still, if they didn't care what others thought of them, why would they mind acting stupid?

Edited by oliveplume (11/20/07 09:25 PM)

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#7660750 - 11/20/07 09:24 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

What's the difference other than your own subjective interpretation of a fart and killing someone?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

Offlinemushroomplume
Stranger

#7660763 - 11/20/07 09:29 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomTrip said:
What's the difference other than your own subjective interpretation of a fart and killing someone?

Darling, I only got my subjective interpretation to go on. I ain't Zeus.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#7660775 - 11/20/07 09:33 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Which brings me to my initial argument: why would a person fart in someone's nose just to prove that they don't care what other people think?
And if they would do it, just to prove it, wouldn't it mean that they cared about what the person who challenged them thinks?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

OfflineJoseLibrado
return

#7660794 - 11/20/07 09:40 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

There is alot of anomosity and contempt towards this aspect of our ego. I think an important recognition must be made about this statement and that it is not what it seems to be. Recognizing that you care what people think, is literally being empathic towards their experience and understanding that your actions effect their experience.

In understanding that you in all events, you as a life and its importance to the experience of the universe, is equally as important as any other, this idea begins to take new form. This usually stops competition over others feelings because it gives the spirit an over all sense of grounded comfort.

I think where this saying gets tricky is in us resenting any feeling that has to do with others(especially those whom we think are unimportant, such as disrespecting glance from a person on the street) which hints to us that we feel bad about this person and desire their acceptance. We resent this because we know full well that we should accept ourselves and know that if we do this type of negativity and positivity cannot effect our feelings.

When we see it does not happen, we begin to get defensive towards others, to protect ourselves, which i find common now adays....i usually look at people cuz i enjoy seeing life, but most of the time i get 'fuck off stares, sometimes down right, what the hell are you looking at, even though the whole time i smile. 

BTW Ive heard that saying many times now, and realize its futlity...just the very idea that you do not care, creates the arisal of its aggregate, i do care in the head.

Whats best for me is to just be any thought which i feel i need to express towards others and take it from there.

I cant really say i dont love you all...so it must mean i do love you.

:smile:

--------------------
The mind is a creative tool. It searches to protect you, through message sensations(feelings). It is no different than a computer, you need to make sure its anti-virus program is in check and that it doesnt have a script that limits your experience, because of to much precaution.

And remember the computer does not appear to respond to words of anger and frustration - just give it input, in the form of new meanings that you know to be true and its messages to you and the limits it lays out for you, will change.

Guilt is an outcome of believing you are the cause of the problems.

Yet, we are not a cause to something, we see is negative or bad - Unless you believe your intentions are directed towards a bad outcome....

Offlinemushroomplume
Stranger

#7660803 - 11/20/07 09:42 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

My next argument.

Why you get dressed in the morning? Because you care what others think. You want to look nice.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Re: Caring About What Others Think? [Re: JoseLibrado]
    #7660826 - 11/20/07 09:50 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You're talking about something else though. You're talking about caring about people, about being compassionate. :heart:
From my perspective, things are kind of like that: I don't (usually) like to do things just to annoy others. I say usually because there are situations in which I find it most enjoyable to irritate someone, and that there were even situations where they would enter the game and turn it all into fun, but that's a totally different subject.
Besides, there are so many constructive things which can be done with that time, like making my life more enjoyable. This in turn might become, without my intention, disturbing for others. Case in which I think I could say that I don't care how they feel about it, and that maybe they need to deal with their own issues. :shrug:
Live and let live. :smile:

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

Offlinemushroomplume
Stranger

#7660880 - 11/20/07 10:09 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Jose,

Great reply! Could you ellaborate on this part or make it easier to digest for me.

Quote:

I think where this saying gets tricky is in us resenting any feeling that has to do with others(especially those whom we think are unimportant, such as disrespecting glance from a person on the street) which hints to us that we feel bad about this person and desire their acceptance. We resent this because we know full well that we should accept ourselves and know that if we do this type of negativity and positivity cannot effect our feelings.

When we see it does not happen, we begin to get defensive towards others, to protect ourselves, which i find common now adays....i usually look at people cuz i enjoy seeing life, but most of the time i get 'fuck off stares, sometimes down right, what the hell are you looking at, even though the whole time i smile.

BTW Ive heard that saying many times now, and realize its futlity...just the very idea that you do not care, creates the arisal of its aggregate, i do care in the head.

Edited by oliveplume (11/20/07 10:10 PM)

Offlinea_guy_named_ai
Stranger
Male
    #7660973 - 11/20/07 10:42 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

"I could care less about what others think of me. I'm just me and if they don't like it, they can just **** off."

No.

OfflineJoseLibrado
return

Re: Caring About What Others Think? [Re: a_guy_named_ai]
    #7661284 - 11/21/07 12:17 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

hey oliveplume, not sure what exactly you want to understand better. But i will explain to you what i think might interest you.

When you say i do not care about bad things, you also say that you do not care about good things. Why? Well, the experience of good, is consistent with the experience of bad. I will show you why, by trying to describe why you think eating is good, in relation to pain. It is in this that i hope you see that the only way to describe something good like eating, is in relation to bad. Ie/ When i eat the pain of hunger, goes away and turns into a good feeling.

In the same way that the existence of good arises in equally with bad, so will the existence of 'i dont care about peoples opinion about me, will arise equally, with 'I care about the opinions of others.'

This is quite paradoxiacal, considering that if you believe one, the other is inexistent. But ironically, inexistence of one thing cannot be without the existence of it. And so, what occurs in the person that lives the I dont care about peoples opinions, is that they come to a point where the first life lesson, must be renewed, by the existence of its opposite...the i do care about what people think.

To give you another example of why this is a must...is to reflect on 'not caring about peoples opinions' as good, while the opposite is bad...returning to the first paragraph and reading it again, if you think nessecary, we saw that good and bad, arise together. This does not take away from the fact that good can and seems to be experienced as seperate from bad. Ie/ i had a good time last night, but a bad one tonite. So what occurs in our mind, if we were to see not caring about other opinions, is the inevitability of its renewal, which can only come from being in the presence of its opposite, 'I care of other opinions'.

This is the process of renewal, that the universe can reveal itself to you and me. Shit man, you just cant exprience revelation without confusion. You can only experience yourself as free, when you are not bound. You just cannot see what you are, unless who you are, isnt confronted with what it is not, both experiences are equally important to eachothers existence and inexistence.

:smile: I wouldnt be able to clear up what i said, if you were not confused to begin with. haha

Peace peace

--------------------
The mind is a creative tool. It searches to protect you, through message sensations(feelings). It is no different than a computer, you need to make sure its anti-virus program is in check and that it doesnt have a script that limits your experience, because of to much precaution.

And remember the computer does not appear to respond to words of anger and frustration - just give it input, in the form of new meanings that you know to be true and its messages to you and the limits it lays out for you, will change.

Guilt is an outcome of believing you are the cause of the problems.

Yet, we are not a cause to something, we see is negative or bad - Unless you believe your intentions are directed towards a bad outcome....

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #7661706 - 11/21/07 06:30 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

oliveplume said:
My next argument.

Why you get dressed in the morning? Because you care what others think. You want to look nice.

because if I step out of my house naked and try going to campus I'm probably going to be arrested before I make it across the street

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #7662498 - 11/21/07 11:42 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

If one reasonably stands to what one does, one hasn't to care about others what they think about one.
I like staying simple with that.

Reason makes explainability in this case.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlinehummermania00
Strange Son of aBitch
Male

Re: Caring About What Others Think? [Re: a_guy_named_ai]
    #7662801 - 11/21/07 12:42 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jonathan_206 said:
Quote:

No.

It is. And I don't.
There is a difference in caring about yourself, caring for yourself; and not caring what others think about you.
Other people will think whatever they will, and it is not my concern; nor something I have any insight into, input into, or control over.
C'est la vie.

--------------------
You are a fortunate person indeed, if you can begin each day accepting the fact that during that day there will be ups and downs, good breaks and bad ones, disappointments, surprises, and unexpected turns of events.

When you have solved all the mysteries of life you long for death, for it is but another mystery of life.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom