Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
cake problems- only pins -that wont grow any futher
    #7659005 - 11/20/07 01:07 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

so ive had some cakes in my fc for a while now and the only thing thats happened is ive got pins and then they just stay like that.. for weeks ive just let them sit and all thats happened has been pins that stay pins for weeks.. they just wont grow any further except one that sort of looked real deformed and hard when i picked it.. very strange looking.. i dunno whats goin on.. buti know somethings obviously wrong ...any of you know of any reason why this would be happening? a friend suggest suggest i should crumble and case them since its been doing htis for so long and perhaps that would solve the problem. but yeah if you guys have any ideas of what would cause that and/or agree that i should crumble and case now then.. that would be appreciated

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: cake problems- only pins -that wont grow any futher [Re: Locus]
    #7659022 - 11/20/07 01:13 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

possibly too much h202.. possibly some other environmental contam..

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: cake problems- only pins -that wont grow any futher [Re: Slimz]
    #7659088 - 11/20/07 01:34 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

hmm.. well how do i change that.. and hydrogen peroxide.. how would i have caused that? should i crumble and case of just make a new fc or both..?

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineAncientBeing
Local Shaman

#7659092 - 11/20/07 01:35 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Not enough moisture in the cake or not enough relative humidity. What is your FC setup?

--------------------
"If you have not love you have nothing"

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #7659104 - 11/20/07 01:39 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Crumbling and casing your cakes is not going to solve the problem.

It sounds to me that there is lack of moisture, mushrooms are 90 % water, the way mushrooms grow is not by cell devision, but by cell expansion, meaning they absorb water from the substrate to allow them to get bigger. If theres not enough water, they wont grow.

Did you dunk your cake after birthing?? and is your humidity high enough.

If your humidity isnt high enough then the shrooms could be drying out faster than they can take water from the cake.

U can try sitting your cakes in a saucer of water to try and rehydrate while u figure out whats gone wrong.

But my guess is lack of moisture.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: cake problems- only pins -that wont grow any futher [Re: AncientBeing]
    #7659108 - 11/20/07 01:40 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

as basic as it gets.. except ive had a similar fc setup in the past and have had good results. this time i used larger chamber out of a larger rubbermaid container with new perlite and added some rubbing alcohol in there as well as the water on the perlite.

--------------------

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: cake problems- only pins -that wont grow any futher [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7659126 - 11/20/07 01:44 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

yeah i dont have an accurate hydrometer so i cant tell. i would suspect the same thing though.. im pretty sure it is a lack of moisture but i dont know why.. as far as dunking i only usually do that after the first flush. so i dunno maybe i should go back to my smaller fc and just add new perlite and put them in there. and in the meantime i could dunk one or two

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7659129 - 11/20/07 01:44 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Theres no need to use rubbing alcohol, depending on how much you are using this might be evaporating and hurting the cakes. chemicals are known to cause mutations, not sure if alcohol has been proven to do that.

But i would simply just use water, no need to be sterile with a fruiting chamber, just clean.

U still havnt answered if your humidity is high enough, if your container is too large then perlite might not be enough to keep humidity high.

I use a 30 litre tub, with 5 inches of moist perlite, this keeps it at around 94% with it dipping ocasionally below 90 for short periods.

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7659244 - 11/20/07 02:22 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

yeah thatsh what i thought... yeah this definitely could be the problem then.. but fuck i just added a bit of rubbing alcohol. not as much as the last time but fuck i did it before i read about that. i didnt use it pervious times and i was fine so that could be part of it as well as just not having enough perlite.. 30 liter hmm.. i was told no matter what size an inch or so is good enough... and i always thought with smaller fcs youd get more humidity but yeah.. let me see what size liter containers these are... shit i dunno, the stickers are gone that once were there.. but everyone told me to use only about one inch or so for the avg sized chamber.. the first few times i used more than that and got decent results. then since i got more efficient i tried adding rubbing alcohol and decreasing the amount of perlite to around an inch so i thought itd actually make it better but i think thats probably become the problem instead.

so around five inches is really the best amount of perlite to use?

--------------------

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7659272 - 11/20/07 02:29 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

yeah i think since i changed to a larger chamber and the lack of perlite there... thats probably what did it.. hopefully now with around 2-3 inches in my smaller one things will work out better.. but maybe i need to add more perlite as you said. i know i should have deff had more perlite in the larger one cus its pretty big. i dunno... but you think the ones that have pins on them would just start growing now the right way if i put them into the smaller one. cus thats what im gona do.. if that doesnt help then maybe i should add more perlite.. but yeah if my fc situation is ideal do you think the pins will start growing normally ? i might have messed this one up too but hopefully not.

--------------------

OfflineCaribou_Lou
Stranger

Loc: Never Land
    #7659375 - 11/20/07 03:00 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

You should clean the FC with bleach water if you have to clean it, because it doesn't harm the myc. Is your perlite too wet, maybe that's why? Make sure you don't touch the pins or get them wet, that can make them abort. How much do you fan it?

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: cake problems- only pins -that wont grow any futher [Re: Caribou_Lou]
    #7659415 - 11/20/07 03:13 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

nah not too wet.. and i fanned a lot. i think there just wasnt enough perlite...i switched to my older fc thats smaller and added more perlite there. but now that may be too wet. so i mayb ahve to add more perlite in order to balance that out.
i would think the perlite would want to have more water since since there probably wasnt enough moisture there and thats why they couldnt grow and the one shroom i did get off it was very small adn rock like.. so i think its definitely having to do with that.

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7660094 - 11/20/07 06:03 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

right I think were getting somewhere. for larger fc at leats 3-5 inches of perlite that has been well rinsed then drained of excess water.

I'm guessing u have holes in ur fruiting chamber.

try sitting ur cakes in a saucer of water. they should sook that up pretty quick. this will provide some extra moisture until the flush finishes. then u can dunk.

u shouldd aways dunk after birhing to rehydrate the cake.

--------------------

Offlinekatfish
Nooblit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana
    #7661305 - 11/21/07 12:24 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

if your cakes aren't fruiting, they need water. dunk for 24 hrs in a ziplock in the fridge. I use bottled water and a little h2o2 in the gallon bag. It can easily fit 6 half pint cakes in it.

check out my thread
here

--------------------
08/2/07 Inoculated mycobag with Brazilian, 3cc
08/08/07 First mycelium show
09/03/07 Brazilian still colonizing, Three Mycobags inoculated with Koi Somui
10/11/07 2 Pint PESA 100% colonized. 1 pint Amazon 90% colonized
10/12/07 Storage bin perite FC constructed
10/28/07 Havested my First ever flush, of PESA!

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: cake problems- only pins -that wont grow any futher [Re: katfish]
    #7661636 - 11/21/07 05:44 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Katfish his cakes are already fruiting, He had pins that arnt growing.

Also h202 is not needed, it doesnt kill anything except for help in fighting a cobweb infection.

People need to stop believing this, use h202 in everything!!! which will more than likely lead to more contamination.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate