Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNativeBlu
Stranger
Female

Need Help From A Cobweb Mold Invasion!
    #7650347 - 11/18/07 09:24 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, everybody. I've never posted on here before, because I usually find my answers in old threads, but I'm officially stuck this time! Can anyone tell me what can cause cobweb mold to appear over and over again all of a sudden? For years, I've had little problems with contamination, and suddenly now I'm having to throw out my jars constantly! And I mean all of them- 100%. AFTER boiling and even before inoculation! I'm not doing anything differently than usual. Can jars just get too old? Can a room get too stuffy?? I tried using a smaller ratio of water, longer boiling periods, etc.. Any thoughts? It's driving me crazy! Thanks!

--------------------
Are we talking about the same God? Because your God sounds kind of like a jerk.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Need Help From A Cobweb Mold Invasion! [Re: NativeBlu]
    #7650464 - 11/18/07 10:16 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Cobweb mold is extremely rare in spawn jars, prefering instead the stale air above casing layers. There are other molds though that will plague your grows if you don't follow strict sterile procedure.

Molds are killed off by low temperatures(below boiling), so you can usually assume they are introduced at the time of inoculation. That means your entire inoculation procedure needs to be carefully evaluated. Use of a glovebox, gloves, flame sterilized needles, wiping of jars with alcohol prior to inoculation, etc., should be considered mandatory for best success rates.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineNativeBlu
Stranger
Female

Re: Need Help From A Cobweb Mold Invasion! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7651538 - 11/18/07 04:18 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Here is a couple pics of what I'm seeing... can you tell me what type of contamination this is so I can pinpoint where it's coming from?

--------------------

OfflinePooter
Shroom Mongler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: With waldo.
Re: Need Help From A Cobweb Mold Invasion! [Re: NativeBlu]
    #7652940 - 11/18/07 10:32 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It's not cobweb. You just have rhizomic(sp) mycelium.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Need Help From A Cobweb Mold Invasion! [Re: Pooter]
    #7654440 - 11/19/07 12:05 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Pooter said:
It's not cobweb. You just have rhizomic(sp) mycelium.

I don't see one single strand of rhizomorphic mycelium, that's mold.

Anytime you have two distinct zones of mycelium, at least one is mold. There are thousands of mold species floating around in the air and nobody can make a positive ID from a picture. However, if you properly sterilized the substrate, and have the top of the jar filtered with either dry vermiculite or tyvek, the molds were introduced by improper sterile technique later.

I'd suggest burying the contents of those jars outside, or re-sterilizing before you open the jar to clean out the contents.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineNativeBlu
Stranger
Female

Re: Need Help From A Cobweb Mold Invasion! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7655470 - 11/19/07 03:54 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the help. I think I'll just chop this one up to a mystery, but the only mycelium is definitely on top... the bottom is SOME kind of mold. I know because I didn't inoculate all the jars, but they all became contaminated.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate