Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecroftsk
cupcake

electric blanket
    #764110 - 07/21/02 08:03 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

ive searched the forums on this but need to know if anyone has been successful with electric blankets before and how should i use them (on top or bottom, how hot etc.) BTW i'll be using mycobags...

--------------------
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes.
You are free. - Jim Morrison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebadjessejames
G HEAD

Loc: :) Passed out on my co...
Re: electric blanket [Re: croftsk]
    #764141 - 07/21/02 08:21 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I tried to use a heating pad once and it dried out my jars BIG TIME

If your serious about starting this hobby....put in the cash and build yourself a nice incubator....It will last you a LONG time and is a must to have.

Luckily...my closet stays @ 80-85 temps.....

--------------------

"My generation played a really mean trick on me. I thought we were all
goofing off together, but it turns out everybody else went and got rich
while I was sleeping." Mission Hill

Offlineparanoid2
Loc: ill noise
    #764311 - 07/21/02 10:05 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I actually use a small heating pad that I got from a drugstore. I put it on a shelf turned on low, put a hand towel over it and then put my small, dark rubbermaid container on top of the towel. The jars stay in the sealed container stay at around 83F.

--------------------
"My head feels like a frisbee."

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #764494 - 07/21/02 11:24 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

You could use a heating pad, available from larger pet shops. These are used for heating reptile tanks.
Some of these use infared heat, which means, if you put your bags straight on top of them they will cook the contents.
So, what you dois, fold a thick towel in half and put it over the pad, then bags on top. All this inside a box, which you will have to keep an eye on the temperature. You may find that you have to put the pad on a timer to keep the bags from getting too hot.

Now go look at some incubator idea's, and see if they will work better for you.

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

OfflineFredMeyer420
Stranger
Loc: Cubensis, U.S.A
    #764665 - 07/21/02 01:01 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I used two elec blankets to heat my mycobags. I got two rubbermaid containers the large ones and put the elec blankets in one so that the cords were sticking out and then put the other one inside of that. Just like you would do if using a fish tank heater(which I couldn't afford at the time). Then I put down 1inch cardboard circles cut from a t.p. roll undernieth the box that the mycobags were in so that they weren't touching the rubbermaid container directly. It kept them heated at exactly 82degrees, which i read is perfect because the mycelium creates a little heat as it grows. They colonized in 17 days and are now fruiting like crazy! Hope that helps!

--------------------
All questions and information disclosed is hypothetical, and should be treated in such a manner.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds