Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemad genius
Stranger

First post for me. Got some noob questions.
    #7619075 - 11/10/07 02:26 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Whats up everyone. I visited lots of different shroom forums and decided this one fits my needs. You guys have alot of good info on here. I am currently saving money to buy either a grow kit or the supplies to make a grow kit. I have some questions I hope you guys can answer.

Questions

1. Is a humidifier necessary, or is using perlite just as good?
2. Is the glove box only used for inoculation?
3. Is the air pump hose place above the perlite or below?
4. Are there air pumps that come with hepa filters?
5. Is there a guide on here for creating a complete grow kit similar to this one http://www.mushbox.com/complete101.html

I really appreciate anyone who takes time to answer these noob questions. Ill probably laugh hysterically at this post in a few months.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemilkman
DeliveringWorldWide
Male User Gallery

Loc: tha FLA
Re: First post for me. Got some noob questions. [Re: mad genius]
    #7619107 - 11/10/07 02:37 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

all your questions can be anwsered by the great

Invisiblebait_
AllSpice
I'm a teapot
Loc: This Cannot Be Happening Flag
    #7619117 - 11/10/07 02:40 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

First off don't use a grow kit. Get the supplies and do the work yourself. Not only will it feel more rewarding the first time you trip off the "fruits of your labor" but also you will be much more knowledgeable.
1. Perlite works fine
2. and cloning and lc making etc etc. pretty much all the lab stuff in this hobby
3. no need for an air pump really with perlite. just fan 3-100000 times a day
4. again no real need for an airpump
5. there are guides all over this site. do a search for some teks. Just read everything you can. most stuff you can mix and match on if you find ways in different teks you want to use.

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

#7619138 - 11/10/07 02:49 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I'm pretty much a noob here myself but I might be able to help you a little.
1)A humidifier is not necessary depending the size of the fruiting chamber.  If it's something small like a pod or rr shotgun fc then perlite is plenty sufficient, but if you get into larger spaces/volumes of air you will need larger humidification systems.
2)The glove box is used for things other than inoculation.  It's main purpose is to lessen contamination and provide as near a sterile environment as possible.  You can utilize this for many things other than inoculation.
3)I'm not really versed in this tek/style but I believe that the air pump hose goes below the perlite into a body of water of some sort to promote higher rh.
4)Again I'm not positive on this one but I believe that many people outfit their air pumps somehow with either a filter patch or a tyvek patch(or something similar).
5)All I can say is to do a little searching around through the various mushroom information sections.  As you browse through everything you'll get a better idea of things, it's meant to be a slow/gradual process, not rushed, although some go real fast in the beginning and pay for it:hissyfit: Research pays off exponentially.  So, my advice is to use the various browse features of the website and hit up the search feature as well. :bongload:

--------------------
This and all posts are the work of an imaginary character known as psilopod. Don't believe this rambling drivel, none of it's real, it's fake, it's an illusion, strictly for entertainment purposes. With that being said, enjoy.

Turning Dreams Into Reality

Offlinemad genius
Stranger

Re: First post for me. Got some noob questions. [Re: psilopod]
    #7656576 - 11/19/07 08:02 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I ended up goin real simple. TIT for the incubator, and i will eventually do perlite for the fruiting chamber. Thats if i even succeed at growin some Mycelium.

Edited by mad genius (11/19/07 08:02 PM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #7657865 - 11/20/07 05:33 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

As long as you follow the procedures in the teks, u should succesfully grow mycelium and fruit them in your FC.

Make sure you are clean in all your operations. Use a glove box for inoculations, this will help cut down on contaminations (you will be bound to get a few here and there so dont let that get you down) a glovebox is not sterile, but provides an enviroment where the air is still so as not to allow spores and other contams to land on things that need to remain clean. Like your flame sterilised needle thats about to be injected into the substrate.

For your fruiting chamber its not really nessesary to have a hepa filter for your air pump, fully colinsied substrate is resistant to contams, but i guess it wouldnt hurt to have some kind of air filtration.
For the air pump in a small terarium, usually a bublestone/wand/curtain is best, sitting in a cup of water, or if you use hydroton for humidifaction, it can sit in the bottom of your FC in the 2 inches of water you have under the 5 inches of hydroton. This will provide some FAE and also help with humidity.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinegaladar

Loc: in a monotub!
    #7657879 - 11/20/07 05:41 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mad genius said:

Questions
heres what i know

1. Is a humidifier necessary, or is using perlite just as good?
A Humidifier is not necessary. damp perlite is great!
2. Is the glove box only used for inoculation?
No, a glove box is used for a number of sterile practices. too many to name. some examples are grain to grains, liquid culture extraction

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First post for me. Got some noob questions. [Re: galadar]
    #7658049 - 11/20/07 07:45 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinemad genius
Stranger

Re: First post for me. Got some noob questions. [Re: Nibin]
    #7665873 - 11/22/07 07:15 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Wow, Niblin knows how to post links. Yay for you.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7666136 - 11/22/07 08:39 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Well since other people had already answered your questions more than adequately plus the fact you said yourself you are new to this hobby, I decided to post a useful link, especially as most of your questions could be answered in this section of the site.

--------------------

Offlinemad genius
Stranger

#7666242 - 11/22/07 09:10 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i got you. but i couldnt find the answers, so i asked. i knew about the search engine and teks section.

OfflineShroominScooby
Hemp Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

#7666254 - 11/22/07 09:15 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

don't worry about it dude, as on all forums people bitch about questions being asked that are "noob" questions that we hear every day from every new person trying to grow mushrooms. you'll see when you get to the point of being able to answer questions for newgrowers (maybe even sooner). Learning is about asking questions but learning is much more efficient when the questions part follows good research :-)
-SS

--------------------
Everything posted above is simply to the best of my knowledge. Please feel free to contest or correct what I say.
Knowledge is built upon what we have gathered through research and past experiences and that nothing one person says is set in stone without the general acceptance from the society.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First post for me. Got some noob questions. [Re: ShroominScooby]
    #7666307 - 11/22/07 09:31 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

yep. and a lot of people just go strait to the forums and start asking.
I thought that since your questions had already been answered by others on this thread I'd post a useful link.

We have no way of knowing if someone has searched and looked unless they say they have.

--------------------

Offlinemad genius
Stranger

#7666324 - 11/22/07 09:38 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

:stoned:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale