Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

considering crossing strains. . . .
    #7603198 - 11/06/07 03:22 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I was thinking about growing another batch of mushrooms for the hell of it, but want to try something different.

I know people have been successful at cross-breeding types of psilcocybin mushrooms, however, I am curious if anyone has ever attempted to cross strains between an hallucinogenic and non-hallucinogenic species, for example, Psilocybe cubensis and Portobello.

I would like to work on a species of mushroom that has a much greater tolerance to airborne contaminants, and has a much faster rate of growth. I have little information to offer other than my initial idea, has anyone had any experience with such an experiment?

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTurntableJunky
Ethno Grower
Male

Loc: Sydney
Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: ManianFH]
    #7603209 - 11/06/07 03:23 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Do you understand what you have to do to cross strains?

--------------------

OfflineChi Ro
Jive Ass Turkey
Male

Loc: Right hurr!
Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: TurntableJunky]
    #7603223 - 11/06/07 03:27 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Crossing a Agaricus bisporus with a Psilocybe cubensis would be the equivalent of crossing a Felis silvestris with a Canis lupus (a cat with a dog).

Two different fungi from a different genus and/or species have no chance of being crossed.

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: TurntableJunky]
    #7603252 - 11/06/07 03:35 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TurntableJunky said:
Do you understand what you have to do to cross strains?

absolutely no idea.

If it cannot be done because the species are too separate from each other, then nevermind. If theres a chance, I would attempt it.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: Chi Ro]
    #7603644 - 11/06/07 05:08 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Chi Ro said:
Two different fungi from a different genus and/or species have no chance of being crossed.

Just for the record, that is not true. It is possible to produce a variant strain of mycelium that has formed clamp connections between cubes and other species such as oysters. The problems come in when you attempt to stabilize the genetics without having it revert to back to one species or another. Also, the first thing to be lost is likely going to be the production of the cube's active compounds...

(* I'd have to go digging in the advanced cultivation forum's archives but there are plenty of threads on the matter already *)

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Invisibleorchidfanatic
retiree
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: where the wild things are
Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: mycocurious]
    #7603661 - 11/06/07 05:12 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mycocurious said:
Quote:

Chi Ro said:

Just for the record, that is not true. It is possible to produce a variant strain of mycelium that has formed clamp connections between cubes and other species such as oysters. The problems come in when you attempt to stabilize the genetics without having it revert to back to one species or another. Also, the first thing to be lost is likely going to be the production of the cube's active compounds...

(* I'd have to go digging in the advanced cultivation forum's archives but there are plenty of threads on the matter already *)

wow that is so cool ...

Offlinewebdaemon
Stranger

Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: orchidfanatic]
    #7603821 - 11/06/07 05:43 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

No. The definition of the word "species" includes reproductive isolation meaning that members of a species can mate and produce fertile offspring only with members of their own species. A horse and a donkey can mate and produce a mule. But, all mules are infertile. Therefore, a horse and a donkey are members of different species even though they can mate and produce offspring.

Basically, if this were to work you would need to breed it back with one of its parent species because the offspring would be infertile.

OR...

You could Clone the offspring...

Just my 2¢

OfflineBlargIAmDead
Shroom Samurai
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: webdaemon]
    #7604041 - 11/06/07 06:34 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Fertile Mule :laugh:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,743641,00.html

Never say never. I say go for it mick! Live the dream! Be the beast!  And then go ahead and win the lottery when you've succeeded. But I say try if you want to :smile:.

Offlinehightimesreader
Half assed question asker
 User Gallery

Loc: In the air conditioning
Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #7604073 - 11/06/07 06:44 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Honestly, if you got a cross to happen, I'd pay you for a culture of some sort.

HTR

--------------------
I'm hunting for The Following ethnos.
For experiments, hunting finds and any other contributions, check out My journal.
HTR

A new leaf turned over.. I'm too old for this shit.
:commonsense:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: hightimesreader]
    #7604105 - 11/06/07 06:54 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

No. The definition of the word "species" includes reproductive isolation meaning that members of a species can mate and produce fertile offspring only with members of their own species. A horse and a donkey can mate and produce a mule. But, all mules are infertile.

WTF do horses and donkeys(mammals) have to do with fungi? Don't make shit up. Cross-species hybrids have been successfully completed with mushrooms. Crossing strains of the same species is easy. Search mine and workman's posts for more details.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehightimesreader
Half assed question asker
 User Gallery

Loc: In the air conditioning
Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7604121 - 11/06/07 06:58 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

No. The definition of the word "species" includes reproductive isolation meaning that members of a species can mate and produce fertile offspring only with members of their own species. A horse and a donkey can mate and produce a mule. But, all mules are infertile.

WTF do horses and donkeys(mammals) have to do with fungi?  Don't make shit up.  Cross-species hybrids have been successfully completed with mushrooms.  Crossing strains of the same species is easy.  Search mine and workman's posts for more details.
RR

:thumbup:

Get on that pure white fuckin cuby mix mang! I want to buy some fuckin spores. Who knows, maybe you'll get active AND non-active fruits and you can clone the actives and grow the non actives for cover :evil:

HTR

--------------------
I'm hunting for The Following ethnos.
For experiments, hunting finds and any other contributions, check out My journal.
HTR

A new leaf turned over.. I'm too old for this shit.
:commonsense:

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: hightimesreader]
    #7604159 - 11/06/07 07:13 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Although I serious doubt that I'll ever have the technical knowledge or resources to pull it off but I have a real special place in my heart for this topic because I would love nothing more to be able to contribute in developing a new "strain" of a cubensis that is significantly more cold-weather tolerant. No real reason "why" I just think the project would be a remarkably enjoyable waste of time for several years.

Random stuff like that is half the reason mycology is fun for me. The other half is because it gives me an opportunity to do more "contraptioning" every once in a while, heh...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #7604865 - 11/06/07 09:38 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

WTF do horses and donkeys(mammals) have to do with fungi? Don't make shit up. Cross-species hybrids have been successfully completed with mushrooms. Crossing strains of the same species is easy. Search mine and workman's posts for more details.
RR

He came up with a high school textbook explanation, no need to jump on him like that. And an interspecies hybrid, or "cross-species" hybrid as you put it, isn't itself a new species. Which was his point I think.

-FF

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: fastfred]
    #7604935 - 11/06/07 09:52 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, I had just got home from a 12 mile day hike with 10,000 feet of elevation change.  I can be a tad pissy at those times until I get my dinner.  It makes me feel sorry for Mrs Rabbit sometimes. :lol:

I wonder if an inter-genus hybrid would be considered a new species technically?
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#7606364 - 11/07/07 10:51 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

well itll have to wait till the end of the semester at soonest before i attempt it. ill start researching until then though :grin:, and if anyone decides to try this and gets an interesting find please let me know. Thanks

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: considering crossing strains. . . . [Re: ManianFH]
    #7606411 - 11/07/07 11:05 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Haven't you seen Ghostbusters?

"... Whatever you do, don't cross the strains..."

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds