Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEllezdey
Stranger

15-day casing 3 mushrooms :(
    #7597214 - 11/05/07 01:18 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I could have sworn i did everything right. Other than using the heating pad method and initially having too thick a casing, i have no idea why there could be something so wrong with my casing.

Costa Rica Strain (My first grow ever)
Procedure:
2 BRF cakes. 32 day incubation to 100% colonization using heating pad method (very varied temperature ranges may be an issue. 67-89 F - Once it was too hot, i turned it off. Turned it back on when too cold. I occasionally fucked up (im a forgetful pothead))

Both dunked in cold water for 16 hrs. 1 crumbled and 1 sliced into 5x10 aluminum tray on top of 1/2 inch damp verm to form a 1 inch substrate layer. Cased with 50/50 (verm/peat) with a casing depth of 3/4 inch (i now figure this was a BIG mistake) and misted to field saturation. Tray was placed on 1-2 inches of damp perlite inside a 5 gallon terrarium.

Atmospheric Humidity level probably varied with the temperature fluctuations of my room (63-72 F - More heat, more Atmospheric humidity and vice versa). Occasionally misted (about once a day) and frequently allowed FAE (2-4 times a day - Me opening the top, inspecting, waving my arms a bit, and closing).
((((((((((((((((((((((((((*420*))))))))))))))))))))))))))
I have been doing that for 14 days, its now day 15, and i only have 3 mushrooms to show for it. 2 days ago, executing extremely sterile technique, i managed to scrape a little bit of the casing off to reduce the thick casing layer's volume and to hopefully spot many once-trapped pinheads a'sproutin'. I did not see any pinheads but there are now 3 mushrooms growing (1 is an inch and a half tall, the other two are fairly abort-ish).

I was expecting some sort of contamination (cob web or trichoderma) due to how slow things were going but there are no strange smells what so ever and i have yet to see ANYTHING growing rampantly fast over my casing. I thought i would be lucky, and maybe i still am, but i would love for somebody to tell me what i may be doing wrong in hopes of increasing my flush sizes.

Plz help me and thanx. i luv u :o

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 15-day casing 3 mushrooms :( [Re: Ellezdey]
    #7597253 - 11/05/07 01:50 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The bis mistake was to break and case the cakes. Unless you are adding extra substrate it is much better to just dunk and roll the cakes.

http://www.shroomery.org/9735/Should-I-crumble-and-case-my-cakes

Also, a bottom layer of verm, especially on thin layers of substrate can end up sucking water out of the substrate as the verm dries.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

OfflineEllezdey
Stranger

Re: 15-day casing 3 mushrooms :( [Re: Nibin]
    #7597287 - 11/05/07 02:11 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, you have pointed me out to a realization. Could i really just use the same casing material i used for my current grow (fresh, of course)and roll the cakes in that?

That probably would have been a way safer plan than what i had tried. Thanx dude.

But still,

How do i fix my current problem? How do i fix my current problem even if my bottom layer of verm had possibily sucked all the moisture out of my substrate layer?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix