Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineresptodd
I reject yourreality andsubstitute myown
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
compost bin just for mushrooms
    #7596555 - 11/04/07 09:28 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I've been composting for my garden for quite sometime, it's pretty straight forward and easy to make some good compost for the veggies. But I want to start a compost bin only for use as a mushroom sub. Looking for comments on this.(I've already searched) My main ingredients will be Hpoo and straw, what else? has anyone ever done this? If I could get a 50gallon trash can full of compost for mushroom cultivation---Oh the Glory! I'll share!

--------------------
Damn! I'm having fun! Just keep the GD monkeys away.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineresptodd
Male User Gallery

Re: compost bin just for mushrooms [Re: resptodd]
    #7596615 - 11/04/07 09:46 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Come on where is everybody? I need some input. I want to make some compost even my momma' will be jealous of.

--------------------

Offlineresptodd
Male User Gallery

#7596723 - 11/04/07 10:15 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Just got finished talking to a great old friend, he's a high school science teacher now he came up with a good compost recipe quick. This is great compost for oyster, white buttons, ports-criminis. 50gallon trash can with many-many holes drilled in it for aeration. 10lbs Hpoo(can be fresh), 2cups chicken poo, 1 bale wheat straw(soaked 24hrs), 1/2cup blood meal, 2lbs cotton seed meal, 1/4cup super phosphate, 1lb potash, 1-3lbs gypsum, 8oz bag of activator. This is a GOOD recipe. If you know how to compost, this is sure to work. If you don't know how to compost surf for the info it's worth the time. My portabellas are gonna' love this.

--------------------

OfflineBlargIAmDead
Shroom Samurai
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7596737 - 11/04/07 10:19 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Pretty much any rotting organic matter is fantastic for plants/fungus. Coffee grounds, egg shells, gypsum, horse poo, straw, vegetable ends, tea leaves, maybe grass clippings (but that can make it where things like nut grass and weeds take over your compost pile). Apart from that I don't think anyone can give you the perfect compost. Trial and error I suppose. If your shrooms are smaller than you'd like add some gypsum or horse poo. If they shrink don't give it that anymore. It's going to be a long involved process so you might want to keep a log about what's in the compost. But at the end....you'll have the +5 Golden Compost of Psychedelic Smiting.

Nevermind then: Good luck with that recipe. Sounds like a killer! Mmmm portabellas are fantastic. Have you ever grown shiitakes?

Edited by BlargIAmDead (11/04/07 10:21 PM)

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: compost bin just for mushrooms [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #7597423 - 11/05/07 05:33 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

you don't need any forum of manure in your compost at all for mushies. the reason mushies like manure is simply because it's a little nug of partially composted (in the beast) straws and grasses.

the very same recipe you used for your garden would be ideal for your mushies just make sure to avoid tomatoes as you'll have "volunteers" popping up in everything for years. My compost is mostly oak leaves, melon rinds, coffee grounds and coffee filters. To that I'll add all kinds of egg shells, bits of this, bits of that and whatever else is compostable - paper towels, dryer lint (not the fabric softener sheets though), dog hair from trimmings... nearly anything that is bio-degradable.

Just avoid all types of animal meats, oils and waste...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlineresptodd
Male User Gallery

Re: compost bin just for mushrooms [Re: mycocurious]
    #7597514 - 11/05/07 06:53 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Mycocurious, so is that to say my garden compost will suffice for mushroom substrate for grain inoc.? My garden compost is a beautiful thing, hell sometimes I want to take a bite of it. I've been beating my head over this for nothing.

--------------------

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
    #7597590 - 11/05/07 07:43 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

your garden compost will deff work
you'll want to try a few different things
your compost alone with grains should work but i might add some composted cowpoo or some other type of additive

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder