Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Musharraf declares emergency in Pakistan
    #7590929 - 11/03/07 12:35 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

By MATTHEW PENNINGTON, Associated Press Writer

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Gen. Pervez Musharraf declared a state of emergency in Pakistan on Saturday, suspending the constitution, replacing the chief justice before a crucial Supreme Court ruling on his future as president, and cutting communications in the capital.

Pakistan's main opposition leader, Benezir Bhutto, flew back to the country from Dubai and was sitting in an airplane at Karachi's airport, waiting to see if she would be arrested or deported, a spokesman said. Dozens of paramilitary troops surrounded her house.

Seven of the 18 Supreme Court judges immediately condemned the emergency, which suspended the current constitution. Police blocked entry to the Supreme Court building and later took the chief justice and other judges away in a convoy, witnesses said.

The government halted all television transmissions in major cities other than state-controlled Pakistan TV. Telephone service in the capital, Islamabad, was cut.

A copy of the emergency order obtained by The Associated Press justified the declaration on the grounds that "some members of the judiciary are working at cross purposes with the executive" and "weakening the government's resolve" to fight terrorism.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice urged restraint on all sides and a swift return to democracy in Pakistan.

The United States "does not support extraconstitutional measures," Rice told CNN from Turkey, where she was participating in a conference with Iraq's neighbors.

Musharraf, who seized power in a 1999 coup and has been a close ally of the United States since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, has struggled to contain spreading Islamic militancy that has centered along the Afghan border and spread to the capital and beyond.

Pakistanis have increasingly turned against the government of Musharraf, who failed earlier this year to oust Iftikhar Mohammed Chaudhry — the chief justice replaced Saturday.

The Bush administration said it was "deeply disturbed" by the developments, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said in a statement.

"A state of emergency would be a sharp setback for Pakistani democracy and takes Pakistan off the path toward civilian rule," McCormack said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071103/ap_on_re_as/pakistan_247;_ylt=AqZTmrwNMf0KT9MeQqF9VpwE1vAI

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleadrug

Re: Musharraf declares emergency in Pakistan [Re: zorbman]
    #7590969 - 11/03/07 12:45 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zorbman said:
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice urged restraint on all sides and a swift return to democracy in Pakistan.

The United States "does not support extraconstitutional measures," Rice told CNN from Turkey, where she was participating in a conference with Iraq's neighbors.

Oh, the irony...

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Musharraf declares emergency in Pakistan [Re: adrug]
    #7591058 - 11/03/07 01:15 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Condoleezza Rice has to be one of the most ineffective Secs of State in our history. Bush has a bad habit of hiring articulate people who look good on tv but are incompetent. I couldn't put it better than Donald Trump did recently:

"Donald Trump says..Rice seems like a nice person, but when it comes to her role as the nation's chief negotiator, he'd like to use his trademark line on her: "You're fired."

Americans "want someone that knows how to negotiate, that knows the art of the deal," he said in an interview on FOX News Channel's "Hannity's America."

"In all fairness, I see Condoleezza Rice - she goes on a plane, she gets off a plane, she waves, she goes there to meet some dictator. ... They talk, she leaves, she waves, the plane takes off. Nothing happens, it's a joke, nothing ever happens. I think she's a very nice woman, but I don't want a nice woman. I want someone that's not necessarily nice."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0703/23/sitroom.02.html

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
    #7591123 - 11/03/07 01:30 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Time magazine had a really great article about a month or two ago about Pakistan. I believe it was the cover story. It focuses on a man in Pakistan who runs the largest non-profit health/ambulance service in the country. He gets large numbers of death threats for helping anyone including non muslims, rape victims, etc.

Although this dude gets a lot of focus, it goes into a lot fo detail about the history of Pakistan and it's different internal struggles since the split from India.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Musharraf declares emergency in Pakistan [Re: BrAiN]
    #7593326 - 11/04/07 01:49 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I love how we are supposedly spreading global democracy by fighting in Iraq ..but Pakistan...not so much.

Yet another Bush rationale for his Iraq war falls by the wayside.

The Bush zoo crew just wants countries to do their will, they don't give a shit whether they are free or not as long as they are doing evil Dick Cheney's bidding.

--------------------

OfflineMojo_Risin
Man

Loc: United States of America ...
    #7593500 - 11/04/07 05:16 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, this administration ignores Pakistan and Saudi Arabia because they obviously have nothing to do with this so called "War on Terra"! Terra I tell you TERRA!

[Remember the 5th of November] = Novemberthe5th.com

(Thousands of people donating at least $100 to Ron Paul's presidential campaign and to the nationwide freedom movement to the restore our constitutional laws! on November the 5th!)

--------------------
Fear    attracts  energy  that can expose one to be coerced. Learn to overcome fear and develop enlightenment.

Freedom Equality Justice (3 of 12 Jewels of Life)

Nov.11th Veterans Ron Paul Moneybomb...www.Ronpaul2012.com

Check out campaignforliberty.com

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Musharraf declares emergency in Pakistan [Re: Mojo_Risin]
    #7593543 - 11/04/07 06:31 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

1/5 of the goal one day beforehand; provided, of course, that everyone who has suscribed donates....

Still be a good amount of donations in one day though. :smile:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Musharraf declares emergency in Pakistan [Re: fireworks_god]
    #7593551 - 11/04/07 06:35 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Emergency? Since when is democracy an emergency?

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Musharraf declares emergency in Pakistan [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #7593565 - 11/04/07 06:47 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It is when your ass is finally going to be punted by it. :shrug:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Re: Musharraf declares emergency in Pakistan [Re: fireworks_god]
    #7595941 - 11/04/07 07:23 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Musharraf declares emergency in Pakistan [Re: Luddite]
    #7597413 - 11/05/07 05:25 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Ah, touché.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order