Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegreatchase
Stranger
IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP
    #7580800 - 10/31/07 01:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

This is my first grow. I am a college student with great motivation, but little funding. I need some pointers, so I will review my procedure and then list some questions I have.

PROCEDURE:

Strain: "Golden Teacher" Psilocybe cubensis
Substrate: Rye Seed
Jars: 11x 1 Pint (~500mL) Canning Jars

Jar Prep:
1)Drill 2 holes in each lid.
2)Fill jars with 125 mL of rye seed and 90 mL of water.
3)Screw lids on loosely.
4)Cover lids with aluminum foil.
5)Wrap each jar completely in aluminum foil.
6)Let jars sit in boiling water for 60 minutes.
7)Let jars cool for 3 hours.
8)Remove outer foil wrapping. (Leave foil on the lid.)
9)Inoculate jars in glove box constructed from a cardboard
box. (No sealed-off gloves, just arm holes and clean
hands.)
10)Place jars in a box, wrap in a trashbag, and store in the
cabinet above the refrigerator. (Rising heat raises the
temperature in the cabinet to around 80 degrees.)

I have been taking the jars out every 3 days and shaking them to prevent clumping.

I plan on casing in peat moss.

I plan on fruiting in open air (no terrarium), but will supply moisture to the casing layer daily.

RESULTS SO FAR:

I have lost 4 jars to contamination; 3 were blue mold and 1 had yellow spots.

4 of the remaining jars seem to be completely oversaturated. The rye seeds are caked in a tan syrupy goo and there is little to no mycelial growth.

Of the remaining 3 jars:

1 is on the verge of being oversaturated, but has show some consistent mycelial growth,

1 is progressing normally, and

1 is close to fully colonized.

I was going to trash the 4 oversaturated jars tonight, but have decided to put them in a fruiting container, case them in dry peat moss, and continue incubation. I figured possibly the peat moss might absorb some of the saturation, which would then possibly allow mycelial growth. I'm not expecting it to actually work, but I figure I'm not losing anything since I was going to trash them anyway.

I will continue to monitor the 3 remaining jars.

QUESTIONS:

My original plan was to case in 100% peat moss, but I have read on some sites that it is necessary to add lime, vermiculite, and although controversial, possibly Miracle Grow water retention potting soil. Are any of these addatives really necessary, or will the mushrooms fruit in only peat moss?

What do you think was the cause of so many jars being oversaturated and how can I prevent this in the future?

Although my grow operation isn't ideal, it is economic. However, do you see any "fatal" flaws in my procedure that require change if I am to get a successful commercial grow op. running?

After harvesting the first flush, do I just leave the tray as is and wait for the second flush to fruit, or do I have to re-case the top layer and incubate again?

Is sterile technique necessary when transplanting from the jars to the trays and casing, or is the mycelial growth advanced enough by that point to ward off any significant contamination?

Do you have any further words of advice that I havn't addressed in any of my questions?

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. At this point cost is the big issue, but I figure after the first couple cycles I'll gain enough profit to invest in expanding and improving my grow op. (i.e. purchase a pressure cooker). Thank you for taking to time to read and respond to this. :-)

--------------------
Disclaimer: Any knowledge, practice, or personal action I discuss is completely fictional and for entertainment purposes only. My comments do not stem from or in any way relate to me in real life.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP [Re: greatchase]
    #7580817 - 10/31/07 01:45 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP [Re: Slimz]
    #7580875 - 10/31/07 01:57 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

isn't a pressure cooker esential for grains. also u should steam sterilise for 90 minutes.

I have only heard fo steaming working with pf tek and lc.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleMankey
Male

Re: IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7580895 - 10/31/07 02:01 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You can check out fractional sterilization. I wouldn't recommend it though. Invest in a pressure cooker if you plan on continuing growing mushrooms.

Offlinegreatchase
Stranger
Re: IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7580904 - 10/31/07 02:02 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I know pressure cookers are desired for grains, but the 2 of the remaining jars seem to be progressing quite well without contamination. I just need to grow my first oz. and then I'll be able to afford a presure cooker.

--------------------
Disclaimer: Any knowledge, practice, or personal action I discuss is completely fictional and for entertainment purposes only. My comments do not stem from or in any way relate to me in real life.

InvisibleMankey
Male

Re: IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP [Re: greatchase]
    #7580914 - 10/31/07 02:04 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Alright. good luck! For now I might even spend the 50 bucks to get one from wallmart or another store like that, pc a few jars, and return it the same day.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP [Re: Mankey]
    #7581012 - 10/31/07 02:22 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Pressure cookers are not optional with grains. They're required. In addition, you must provide a filter for your lids. You can just cover the holes in the lid with foil.

The two jars you thought were 'saturated' are contaminated with bacteria. You'll need to start over with a pressure cooker, and some tyvek, polyfill, or synthetic filter disks for the lids. I'd also suggest quart jars over pints. Read up on rye teks. Simply mixing water and rye in the jar is the least desirable method.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinegreatchase
Stranger
Re: IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7581399 - 10/31/07 03:49 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Crap, this sucks. Oh well, I'm very determined, so I will revise my procedure and try again, this time with 24 jars. Still hoping for a nice half oz. out of the 3 remaining jars to share with friends before winter break.

--------------------

Offlinegreatchase
Stranger
    #7582949 - 11/01/07 04:22 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

just bumping this up to get more feedback :-)

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7582982 - 11/01/07 05:07 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Until you get a pressure cooker, then u can really only go with the pf tek.

Pf tek is reall easy and the yeilds are not too bad.

My very first harvest of one 1/2 pint cake was 18 grams, another cake done better at 40 grams.

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7583105 - 11/01/07 07:20 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It is a HUGE waste of time and money trying to make grain jars by boiling. You might get lucky and have a 10/20 % success rate.

Go to a thrift store, you can often pick up a pressure cooker for not much.

If you want to grow bulk without using a pressure cooker, make PF cakes and spawn them to pasteurized horse poo (you don't need a pc to pasteurize).

That will give you bigger yeilds and is the only way that bulk can be done consistently without a PC.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinegreatchase
Stranger
Re: IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP [Re: Nibin]
    #7585182 - 11/01/07 06:49 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

bump (still curious about using 100% peat moss for casing material)

--------------------

OfflineSMOKEnCHOKE
The Hand of the MAN.
Male

#7585233 - 11/01/07 07:08 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I use rye without a PC and 100% success finished 8 jars so far. I just boil 1 quart jars for 90 minutes with water about half way up the jars and a dish towel in the bottom. After the boil I microwave for 4 minutes. If you cover in aluminum foil well and don't let the moisture escape and don't burn the grains it works. Also if your wondering it doesn't spark/arch in the microwave.

I know how it is to be broke I feel you.

--------------------
-only the messenger-

InvisibleMankey
Male

#7585704 - 11/01/07 09:28 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

greatchase said:
bump (still curious about using 100% peat moss for casing material)

I've done it with decent results. That was b/c I forgot to put verm in.

InvisibleMastamike1118
Male

Re: IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP [Re: Mankey]
    #7585790 - 11/01/07 09:56 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

use miracle gro moisture control as casing... just pasteurize... good luck dude

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: IM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FIRST GROW - RYE SEED SUBSTRATE - PLEASE HELP [Re: Mastamike1118]
    #7586744 - 11/02/07 07:17 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Metalic objects should not go in the microwave.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder