Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGill

Shroomery song project
    #7578892 - 10/30/07 11:12 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Alright, so I've decided to make a song about psychedelic mushrooms. I'm aiming for a dark house feel; something deep and intense, perhaps a bit freaky and scary. I'm trying to decide how I should go about it, because I want this to be a solid song that'll at least catch people's attention and spread my name around a little bit - but I can't do this alone. Not yet, anyway.

This is where you guys come into play. Seeing as the song is obviously inspired by not just mushrooms, but the Shroomery as well, I'd like to get some opinions on how I should handle this piece from you cats. As of right now, the only main idea I've had for this track is some kind of narration going on in the background, in which the speaker talks about the most terrifying bad trip imaginable (but this isn't set in stone. Just a possibility). I've considered vocals/lyrics to go with the beat, but I can't sing worth a damn.

The only set-in-stone part of this idea is that the song will be dance oriented, and move at a steady tempo of anything between 100-130bpm, depending which speed suits the nature of this song best. This is because I'm not only a longtime fan of electronic music, but it's the only kind of music I'm currently able to sequence fairly well.

Here are specific ways you can help, if you can't think of anything else:

- A dialogue script for narration. Length doesn't matter. It can be fairly short, or extremely long. Must be well-written and fit the mood of the song. Details are encouraged, swears are allowed, as are graphic descriptions of things.

- Song lyrics. Style is also irrelavent. They can be rap lyrics, or deep, slow vocals. The nice thing about dance music, is you can incorporate all kinds of styles into it.

- Possible song titles. I haven't thought much on this, so I'm open to ideas for catchy names.

- If you're a musician, or better yet, a vocalist, having somebody with a good voice in this song would be extremely awesome. If you're interested in contributing to this project, by all means, give it a shot. If you're not a vocalist, but are experienced in using Propellerhead Reason 3.0 (or software/equipment that is compatible with Reason), we can give collaboration a try. If this ends up being a joint effort, your name of choice will be included in the MP3 tag info, and you'll be credited appropriately if it is posted on my site.

This isn't just a pipe dream (I haven't smoked in several days if you don't believe me. :tongue:). I'd really like a good, quality piece of music to come out of all this.

I've worked on this song a little already, but I'm just not satisfied with how it sounds, so I'm up for a complete redo. I also feel it would seem kind of arbitrary of me to portray the experience of mushrooms to listeners when I myself have only had a few experiences with them; that's partially why I decided to put the project on hold and consult with you all about it. That, and I want to avoid inadvertainly giving mushrooms a bad name. Consider this a project of Shroomery, not just me.

For the record, when I say redo, I mean EVERYTHING, so long as it's dance music, and it's about mushrooms in some way. I'd even be willing to try one about positive/happy/uplifting experiences instead of using dark overtones, or something just plain weird and goofy. The ball's in your court.

Finally, here is what I've worked on so far. It's kind of minimalistic and repetitive right now. It needs more drums, and another instrument or two mingled in, but it should help to give you an idea of my production style and hopefully make for some better feedback:

Stream it | Download it (use this link if those two give you a bandwidth message: http://download.yousendit.com/1082BD92289E6694 - Sorry for the YSI. I would have attached it to this post, but I'm downloading a massive torrent and my browser likes to give me error messages when uploading to Shroomery if my speed isn't tip-top. Lame, I know).

Enjoy my oh so not so masculine voice. :rockon:

Edited by Gill (10/30/07 11:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract