Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemushroomplume
Stranger

Bodybuilding Question
    #7560155 - 10/25/07 06:05 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

If anybody here is into weightlifting, physcial fitness, etc, I have a question.

I'm pretty interested in starting some kind of weightlifting routine to get better defined, but I'm afraid I am going to end up all bulky like Sylvester Stallone or something.

I'm a very skinny guy (ectomorph) and I want to keep this physique. Will I get really buff if I start pumping iron?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: mushroomplume]
    #7560727 - 10/25/07 08:51 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Encyclopedia-Modern-Bodybuilding-Updated/dp/0684857219

I bought it years ago when i started lifting hard.  It is a great book and it talks about all the different body types.  Just a wealth of information.  The equivalent to Paul Stamets cultivation books.  But i can't really give you an answer.  balance your cardio with your resistance regimen.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSampaJasli
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #7560807 - 10/25/07 09:12 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

trust me man
you're not going to get buff all of a sudden and be surprised
bodybuilding its pretty hard work
it takes months before you see results
be more worried about your level of persistence and commitment to a routine
also skinny guys have to do quite alot to get "sylvester stalone buff"

--------------------

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: SampaJasli]
    #7561971 - 10/26/07 07:07 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I am small guy - weighing in around 145 soaking wet, I (before i started lifting) struggled benching 90lb + the bar. When this semester started I decided to work out daily, so i got a bench and some weights and threw 'em in my living room.

It's been about 2 months, and although i've been seeing reults (had to look hard for 'em) it's just now starting to show through to other people that i have been working out. It's weird - ive never lifted before this, and i'm not used to having any muscles at all. Progress is slow becuase I'm a stoner and will only work out for 20min a day - but slow progress is still progress.

Once it gets to be jan/feb ill kick it into high gear for the springtime and the beach bunnies.

anyways - get into it, and stick with it - you won't want to but you should regardless

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: memes]
    #7562085 - 10/26/07 08:06 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

No, you are not going to get huge the moment you start lifting weights. If that were true, everyone would be jacked. Food is what puts on mass.

Also it won't take you months to see results. If you take pictures of yourself NAKED at least once or twice a week there should be noticeable changes.

If you want a routine to look into, look into Rippetoe's starting strength. That's really good for beginners to learn their lifts, gain strength, and learn how to listen to their body.

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #7562098 - 10/26/07 08:10 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

oliveplume said:

I'm pretty interested in starting some kind of weightlifting routine to get better defined, but I'm afraid I am going to end up all bulky like Sylvester Stallone or something.

:lol: I find it hilarious when people worry about that.  I wish it were so easy it could catch you by surprise.

You will like the way you look, I promise.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #7562391 - 10/26/07 10:03 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

i wish i could get super-ripped super quick... damn persistence is annoying.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #7562459 - 10/26/07 10:20 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:
Quote:

oliveplume said:

:lol: I find it hilarious when people worry about that.  I wish it were so easy it could catch you by surprise.

You will like the way you look, I promise.

i find it even more hillarious that he adresses silvester as "bulky" given what a small dude he is.

anyway, for the starter, there are a number of exercises you need, everything is is BULLSHIT.

those are:

1.) SQUAT (all the way down, atg - ASS TO GRASS)
2.) DEADLIFT
3.) BENCHPRESS
4.) DIP
5.) BENT OVER ROW
6.) CHIN/PULLUPS

no machines, no garbage, perform all exercises with a barbell and weight you can do for 3x8 reps.
increase weight once reached, always use PROPER form, leave your ego at the door.

focus on the core lifts and youll grow, how much or how little depends on you,
your dedication, your will, your pain tollerance AND how much you eat.

*edit
im guessing thats charles atlas up there? what the fuck, look at his legs, lol did he ever squat in his whole life ?

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Edited by ohmatic (10/26/07 10:23 AM)

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#7564360 - 10/26/07 06:54 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

The idea that it takes a long time to build muscle is BS if you know what you are doing. If you are working out for months and only slowly showing progress, you are doing it completely wrong.

I started out as an "ectomorph" at 145lbs and put on 20lbs of lean mass in the first 4 weeks of lifting. I had the exact same mentality as you when I started, didn't want to get bulky (I think most "ectomorphs" don't). I liked my flexibility and being skinny. Trust me though, once you start you will love the definition that your muscles take on, especially if you have low bodyfat.

Working the body is pure science. Learn the muscle groups and how work all of them, especially the rear delts, rotator cuff and back at first (before you start bench press, dead lift or pullups). Read this http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/marc_mcdougal/posture_shoulder. A fully toned body looks and feels awesome. Also take a creatine supplement like "size on" and use protein drinks to increase protein in your diet. Most other supplements are snake oil but thats the real deal.

The most important part is you have to increase your calorie intake to ~2500-3000 cals per day or you might as well not bother lifting. You can stop whenever you want if you think you are getting too buff. Have fun

Edited by Catalysis (10/26/07 07:02 PM)

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: Catalysis]
    #7564422 - 10/26/07 07:22 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Agreed, I put on 10 pounds of muscle in less than 3 weeks from doing nothing but pull-ups and push-ups 3 times a day and eating a bunch.

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: ApJunkie]
    #7564864 - 10/26/07 09:41 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

After awhile it will become harder to add muscle because your body will become adapted to the whole thing.

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

Offlinealarmist
fade like a sigh
Loc: canada
Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: PyroBurns]
    #7613157 - 11/08/07 10:53 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

research into bulking up

nutrition is a crucial part of bodybuilding

if you want to get big, eat lots

being an ectomorph as well, we have it pretty easy and can eat pretty much all we want

but make sure you are eating clean, i.e: lean meats, whole grains, nuts...healthy oils such as olive and flaxseed oil are an easy way of getting a lot of calories in just a few tablespoons a day

if you're just starting out you'll probably see the gains right away as long as you are following a proper routine. it won't be till later on where you might hit a wall and may have to re-adjust your routine

and i second the comment above about Deadlifts and Squats. Learn how to do those properly and you'll be adding some nice mass

there's a plethora of information out there so use it to your advantage

good luck bro, it's awesome to work hard at something and watch yourself transform

--------------------
there's no love in fear

OfflineTheLightIsOn
In the worst ofall your fears

Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: alarmist]
    #7625069 - 11/12/07 10:20 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You will not get buff. You first need to start off with a the right diet and work your way up from there. There two types of exercises. One to get you buff and one to tone(forms) your muscles. Have a look at:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

-PEACE

--------------------
AFOAF's current multi-grow log

"In the privince of the mind, what is believed to be true is true or becomes true, within limits to be found experientially and experimentally.  These limits are further beliefs to be transcended.  In the province of the mind, there are no limits." -John C. Lilly

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#7628632 - 11/13/07 12:48 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Understand that top tier bodybuilders have absolutely SUPREME genetics and use a myriad of anabolics, hypertropics, hormones and other drugs to grow. Your body can only get so big, and chances are that you'll never turn into a hulk unless you start seriously eating, training and dedicating your life towards getting huge.

Your first few months in the gym will probably reward you with a bit of muscle mass and definition. From that point on, it's all an uphill battle. If you just want a beach body, 6 months in the gym will get you there. If you want to step on stage one day you'll need years of training, hundreds and thousands of calories, mad protein, hours upon hours of slaving away in the gym and kitchen and tons of sacrifices. People do not understand what it takes to get onto a stage, so don't worry about looking like a beefy bodybuilder. It doesn't happen accidentally. :wink:

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Invisiblealphabeatu
Sire
Male
    #7628711 - 11/13/07 01:25 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

sly inspires me,i want a body like his at 60,hell ill take it now

--------------------

i need names and addresses of narc members

pm for details

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: alphabeatu]
    #7628822 - 11/13/07 03:01 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

sly is still on the juice and a puny motherfucker given that he uses gear

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: ohmatic]
    #7632473 - 11/13/07 08:12 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Sly doesn't use supraphysiological doses of gear anymore. He's just on legal testosterone and hormone replacement therapy.

Back in the day he used to train under Franco Columbo's wing. And if anyone knows about Columbo, Arnie and all those other guys they used to eat d-bol like it was candy. Those days are far behind sly. He looks a little deformed, but he's not THAT small at all. Gear doesn't make you humongous either. Training like a mad man does. The only thing that'll turn a twerp into a titan would be insulin.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Invisiblealphabeatu
Sire
Male
Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: browndustin]
    #7633852 - 11/14/07 05:17 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

ive found most men with arms like sticks,bare ribs showing and a slumped look with a paunch and a bad drug habit hate anything to do with fitness regardless of whether others take roids or not,theyre usually in the 20-30 know all age bracket

its the 'he's musclier than me so he's a roid raging gym rat' syndrome

like i said,id love to look like him in my 60's

when you mention columbo do you mean columbo from the television cop show?

i heard he was all solid muscle under that old coat he wore in the show...thats true?

--------------------

pm for details

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: alphabeatu]
    #7633870 - 11/14/07 05:36 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ive found most men with arms like sticks,bare ribs showing and a slumped look with a paunch and a bad drug habit hate anything to do with fitness regardless of whether others take roids or not,theyre usually in the 20-30 know all age bracket

its the 'he's musclier than me so he's a roid raging gym rat' syndrome

I think you overestimate the importance the group you stereotype gives to "gym rats".

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblealphabeatu
Sire
Male
Re: Bodybuilding Question [Re: Seuss]
    #7633871 - 11/14/07 05:38 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

what importance?

insults more like it

no offence to cool skinny druggies that dont have a self opinionated insult tho

--------------------

pm for details

Edited by alphabeatu (11/14/07 07:14 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds