Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejoesmithjoe
Stranger
I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. * 1
    #7559934 - 10/25/07 04:50 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I have grown a few times and have been around this site for a long time. For the most part I see that everyone recommends cubies for the beginner. I think this is great but I think it's time that we become a little bit more pro-Pan around here. I don't know if I am the only one who feels this way but pans are almost as easy as cubies and are quite a different experience. I think a lot of people here shy away from them because they think you have to use manure. While it is true that get a better yield with manure you can do just fine with Rye berries. like these, http://www.mannaharvest.net/-p-555.html.
When using rye berries you can pretty much follow any WBS tek all the way upto fruiting. This seems to be where things get harder for the beginner because you can't just keep a container with 100% humidity. If someone could devise a simple, effective way of creating the perfect environment I think we could take the level of quality of the grows done on this board to another level.

What do you guys think? The benefits seem obvious to me but mabey I am missing something that makes this not worth while.

P.S. I know that with the advent of computer controlled environments (http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6587794/an/0/page/3) the fruiting chamber becomes almost a no-brainer but I don't think that many beginners are going to be interested in something like this.

--------------------
Be Part of The New Pan Movement!!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7559934/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1
cubies are for kiddies, grow pans!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

Loc: Washington state
Re: I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. [Re: joesmithjoe]
    #7559956 - 10/25/07 04:56 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

sounds good to me i have no experiance with them but i am alway up for expanding my hobbie a little.

--------------------
What if I am wrong, Ive got a condition, I get confused sometimes, what if I have imaged all of this, what if have finally turned into what they've always said I was gonna turn into.... a maniac...... a psycho killer.....Marv Sin City

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #7560296 - 10/25/07 06:48 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

You know, you are sooooooo right! I really never thought about it as being a mind set. All we ever really hear is that they are "hard" to cultivate. Because of that I haven't even really bothered studying their specific requirements. I think about the idea that I have somewhat of an extended lab in my house and I already Isolate and clone on petri dishes. I think I've defeated myself from the start by buying into the idea that they are "hard to grow". You have inspired me! Maybe it's time to shift the mind set into "PAN MODE". Five shroomies for bringing this up! Thanks!

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #7560320 - 10/25/07 06:56 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

i'm game, but i'd be working with multispore. I don't have enough plates to achieve both of my projects.

surely i'll get some kind of results from multispore.

Maybe we should amass some links here of easier teks. I am thinking, if we've done cubes, then we should know pretty much what all to do.. but some parameters change, like fruiting temps, and FAE, substrate depth, pans seem to ONLY like poo, etc...

many points to be made about this subject,

and yes, you are correct, i've been shying away from it for a long time because they are "hard" to cultivate, they are nothing like a cube in that respect, cubes just need to be "snapped together" and they do anything, pans are a little more particular.

lets demystify the pan.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. [Re: jeetered]
    #7560336 - 10/25/07 07:00 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

">

this needs to be translated.

but u get the picture.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #7560363 - 10/25/07 07:08 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

OHHHHH, I can see it already! You will have TWO CHOICES now when going into the forums.. MUSHROOM CULTIVATION -(CUBENSIS), MUSHROOM CULTIVATION - (PANAEOLUS). I'm getting excited now! We'll be the pioneers of our community. LOL! I wish I was that good. (oops, there I go again with that self defeating attitude!)

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Offlineallreadyused
The Liquor
Male

Loc: Trailer Park, Nova Scotia
    #7560502 - 10/25/07 07:52 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

What do you guys think? The benefits seem obvious to me but mabey I am missing something that makes this not worth while.

Cubies are good for the beginner because PF cakes are pretty idiot proof ans simple to boot. Keep in mind that many people who want to grow mushrooms are burn outs who want to get high for free or cheap. That's one of the reasons I started. Nothing against burn outs, they're my peeps. Many people realize that the cash you spend on 1/8 of shrooms ($30-$40 where I live) is enough to get a simple PF style setup going and produce a lot more than 1/8.
But, I agree at least partially with your point. Growing something other than a basic PF cake isn't that much more complicated. I'm sure someone with reasonable intelligence would be able to grow on grain having never grown before.

--------------------
Everything I say is for entertainment.

Fuck the ASPCA

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. [Re: allreadyused]
    #7560547 - 10/25/07 08:05 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

allreadyused said:
Quote:

Cubies are good for the beginner because PF cakes are pretty idiot proof ans simple to boot. Keep in mind that many people who want to grow mushrooms are burn outs who want to get high for free or cheap. That's one of the reasons I started. Nothing against burn outs, they're my peeps. Many people realize that the cash you spend on 1/8 of shrooms ($30-$40 where I live) is enough to get a simple PF style setup going and produce a lot more than 1/8.
But, I agree at least partially with your point. Growing something other than a basic PF cake isn't that much more complicated. I'm sure someone with reasonable intelligence would be able to grow on grain having never grown before.

You're on a totally different page than I am. I look at a fruit body and think to myself... (Speechless... amazed at it's sheer beauty), and thank something larger than me that it has graced me with the key to open the door of perception bringing me closer to it.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #7560625 - 10/25/07 08:26 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Copes aren't hard to grow at all. No harder than cubes in fact. One difference is they generally take a bit longer to pin than cubes do, and another is they prefer to fruit in the 80's, so they're great for the summer months when our houses are naturally hotter.

In my experience, you want a thin substrate, no more than 2" thick. My best results came from 1 1/2" substrates with a 1/4" casing layer of peat/verm. Horse manure is great, but I've also had decent results using composted cow manure out of the bag, mixed with a touch of coir and garden compost.

Provide 80F to 90F at fruiting time and keep the humidity very high. Wax paper helps to lay over the casing layer to keep humidity at the surface high.

Personally, I've found the trip from pan cyans to be on the 'dark' side, so I don't do them anymore.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineallreadyused
The Liquor
Male

Loc: Trailer Park, Nova Scotia
Re: I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7560745 - 10/25/07 08:56 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Provide 80F to 90F at fruiting time and keep the humidity very high.

I'll keep that in mind for next summer. I won't have to fight to keep the room in the 70's.

--------------------
Everything I say is for entertainment.

Fuck the ASPCA

Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

Re: I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. [Re: allreadyused]
    #7562219 - 10/26/07 09:08 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I am excited also i am not afraid of a little horse apples. i have the time and assets let put together some techs...peferablly maintainace free.

--------------------
What if I am wrong, Ive got a condition, I get confused sometimes, what if I have imaged all of this, what if have finally turned into what they've always said I was gonna turn into.... a maniac...... a psycho killer.....Marv Sin City

Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

Re: I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. [Re: armyabe]
    #7562224 - 10/26/07 09:09 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

good job!!! i love a challenge.. i would also like to see others pioneer the woodlovers. i would have no problem buying a fridge for it if there was more success.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7562301 - 10/26/07 09:34 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

You do realize that pan cyans are not wood lovers and don't require a refrigerator?
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

#7563527 - 10/26/07 02:15 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

armyabe said:
good job!!! i would also like to see others pioneer the woodlovers.

I know they aren't wood lovers... i was just saying that i would like to see some more sucesses in that area "also". Good ideas thanks everyone. RR I greatly respect your opinion and thank you for all your help and input.AAA

--------------------

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7563564 - 10/26/07 02:29 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

yeah pans are a LOT darker then cubes, probably due to their potency.
People tend to think you're a freak when u hand them a half gram of dry shrooms and say "trust me it's enough".

anyhow.

I like them for myself.
They also make GREAT blue tequila.

Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

#7563705 - 10/26/07 03:20 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

lol true. so do we have a tech?

--------------------

OfflineVegan
using the searchbutton
Male User Gallery

#7563996 - 10/26/07 05:08 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Im in,, just read my sig...:cool:

--------------------
I came, I saw , I came back

Invisiblebudmanman
OTD Masterbater
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. [Re: Vegan]
    #7564259 - 10/26/07 06:22 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Been der done that.

--------------------
Everything I have ever said is total bogus bs I am full of crud therefore everything I say should never be taken literal.

And I am mentally unstable.

Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

Re: I'd like to see a shift of midset on pans in here. [Re: budmanman]
    #7564729 - 10/26/07 08:57 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

nice so what's the set up?

--------------------

OfflineVisionsToReality
RIBBONS

#7564758 - 10/26/07 09:05 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Definitely a mindset, yeah. This stuff is NOT hard.

I still don't get why everyone recommends beginners do cakes. Why not just start with bulk? This really isn't rocketscience. Most college labs require more thought.

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs,
So when you're ridin' through the ruts,
Don't you complicate your mind.

Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts,
Put your vision to reality, yeah!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate