Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

Loc: Washington state
keeping fruit chamber heated.
    #7558422 - 10/25/07 09:03 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I presently live in a small place and the thermostat is broken so everytime i turn on the heat even slightly it trys to make my place 90 degrees. I am going to be moving in 2 weeks but i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to heat the chamber as an atonomous unit.
I would also be interested in posted pics or diagrams of others grow chambers (i am looking for a self suffient plan). Any pics or ideas would help.....

My plan was to use a aquarium heater in a seperate box sealed with a water vaporizer and a fan. the idea is the water is heated to the desired temp or slightly higher, then vaporized and piped in to the tank via van. once in the chamber it would circulate through the tank and flow out the bottom Where the only exaust holes are located.

I know it is a long post but if possible try to answer as many questions as you can. thank you so much.AAA

--------------------
What if I am wrong, Ive got a condition, I get confused sometimes, what if I have imaged all of this, what if have finally turned into what they've always said I was gonna turn into.... a maniac...... a psycho killer.....Marv Sin City

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: keeping fruit chamber heated. [Re: armyabe]
    #7558491 - 10/25/07 09:33 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Never heat a grow chamber. You can pick up a new thermostat for your house at any hardware store for $20.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

Re: keeping fruit chamber heated. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7558709 - 10/25/07 10:56 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Well i generally keep my heat off there is nothing i can do? i am moving soon so i don't want to buy another. No one heats the fruit chambers. what is the reason for not being able to?

--------------------
What if I am wrong, Ive got a condition, I get confused sometimes, what if I have imaged all of this, what if have finally turned into what they've always said I was gonna turn into.... a maniac...... a psycho killer.....Marv Sin City

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7558726 - 10/25/07 11:04 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Use a space heater to heat the room if necessary. Heating the growing chamber causes condensation, resulting in the loss of your humidity to make standing water on the walls.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

Re: keeping fruit chamber heated. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7558898 - 10/25/07 11:43 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

oh ok is it ok to heat the water that you are misting with or humidifying with.... that is that is to an exact temp of 80 or 85.

--------------------

Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

#7558912 - 10/25/07 11:45 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

RR? Are you the RR of lets grow mushrooms? is this your site? i know that RR refer people to this site. interesting thanks for the help you have been great help. a little black and white but thats kind of what i need. thanks

--------------------

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
    #7558999 - 10/25/07 12:14 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

yes, black and white is what you need.

no, you cannot heat the water.
the only thing that should be heated is the entire room or house.
not the water, not the chamber.

temperatures have to be equal inside and outside of the chamber.
there also needs to be lots of air flowing into and out of the chamber.

so just take it as what it is... heat the whole room or house.
period.

--------------------

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7559039 - 10/25/07 12:23 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

LOL, yes it's the same person...no this is not _his_ site, but he is a very active contributor.

In regards to your problem, first you need to understand that condensation is not a function of how much humidity is in the air but rather of how large the temperature variance between a barrier. On your soda can, it's cold inside, warm outside and so the condensation forms on the can.

As such, you'll want the water in the humidifier to be relatively the same temperature as the room itself. Typically the only time you need to use a heater or warm the water in a humidifier is when your working with a very large scale humidifier with a 10-20gallon reservoir. Such large bodies of water tend to stay cooler than the ambient temperature around them and not warming them would cause condensation inside the fruiting chamber.

If the ambient temperature of your living space is below 65(F) then getting yourself a cheap, _safe_ space heater is the most practical solution. And don't place it right next to the fruiting chamber, you'll end up overheating it as well potentially causing the same condensation problems by making it significantly warmer on one side of the chamber than the other.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineTurntableJunky
Ethno Grower
Male

Loc: Sydney
    #7559041 - 10/25/07 12:24 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

armyabe said:
RR? 1.Are you the RR of lets grow mushrooms? 2.is this your site? i know that RR refer people to this site. interesting thanks for the help you have been great help. a little black and white but thats kind of what i need. thanks

1. Yes he is. 2. No its not.

--------------------

OfflineMotorCityMadman
Rubberfan andFunketeer
 User Gallery

Loc: Motown (State of Mind)
Re: keeping fruit chamber heated. [Re: TurntableJunky]
    #7559156 - 10/25/07 12:50 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Yo,

I just wanted to point out that if your FC is in a small, enclosed space (e.g. small closet, cabinet, etc.) a 100-watt light bulb will heat the air outside your FC just fine, which will in turn raise the temp inside the FC.

You could, oh I don't know, put the bulb on a thermostat with the temperature probe inside the FC to make sure it doesn't overheat.

Offlineallreadyused
The Liquor
Male

Loc: Trailer Park, Nova Scotia
Re: keeping fruit chamber heated. [Re: MotorCityMadman]
    #7559219 - 10/25/07 01:21 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Buy an oil filled electric radiator. Most of them have a thermostat. That should be sufficient to keep a small room with your tubs at a good fruiting temp. This time of year I don't have a problem keeping the temp low enough. The summer is the problem, it takes a lot of effort to keep the room cool.

--------------------
Everything I say is for entertainment.

Fuck the ASPCA

Offlinearmyabe
Mimic
Male

Re: keeping fruit chamber heated. [Re: allreadyused]
    #7559364 - 10/25/07 02:02 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

yeah good ideas i will have a seperate room for hobbies ect. very soon! I am a bit of a trantula enthusist (having more species than most people even know exist). So the room in the new house will be of temperature. right now i have them in my living room in the corner because i just don't have a room with avalible space (hence the move). i have a much deeper understanding thank you.. Now has anyone experimented with foggers (used with terrium for anphibians with a demand for high humidity). I was thinking of using one of these for humidifying the FC and pushing the humidity through a 3" inche pipe via 2" inch computer fan. causing humid gas exchange all the time. interesting.

AAA

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale