Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
how much money can you make owning a bar?
    #7558203 - 10/25/07 07:27 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

It's always been a pipe dream of mine to run a bar/nightclub in an urban area where I live (more in an upscale/trendy area). There's no way in hell I could afford to run something like that now.. but I'm just wondering..

Does anyone have enough experience in the bar/restaurant/nightlife industry to sort of guess how much an operation like tha would make in gross revenue? How much the operating costs are? The money stake is so high, you can't afford to get into something like that without REALLY without some accuracy.

Like I said.. there'sno way in hell I could afford it now.. but if I happen to get lucky in the future: just as a hypothetical example:

There's 3 story, 4500 square foot building in the heart of this trendy area in DC for 2.5 million dollars (cheap for the area). It's zoned to where you can use it for almost anypurpose.

* The building would cost 2.5 million. (I guess it would be maybe 10-20K a month in mortgage)

* How much is a liquor license? I'd assume about 250,000 in a city?

* How much is insurance for a building like that as well as insurance for other things (it *IS* a bar)

* How much is the cost of goods sold (how much per month do you spend it buying wholesale liquor and food)

* Much much would the utilities (electricity, plumbing cost)

* Property taxes would probably be 30-50k a year.

As far as revenue.. How much do you really make in liquor sales and food sales? Anyone ever been a bartender or manager of a restaurant of bar that might have some sort of guess as to what the avg profit is on a bottle of liquor?

Edited by BrAiN (10/25/07 08:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCheezit
Feel like aStranger

Re: how much money can you make owning a bar? [Re: BrAiN]
    #7558535 - 10/25/07 09:53 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

my aunt bought a bar 5 years ago for 250

It's now worth over a million. I guess it depends on where you buy.

They make like 400% on drinks..........

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #7558621 - 10/25/07 10:24 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Legal drug dealin baby!

Bars make fucking loads!

I worked on the bar at a festival, the amount they took and payed us was insane!

But like any business its not guaranteed. Location is a big factor and you will need a huge start-up loan to buy/hire the premises and booze.

Plus the industry is well established, I dont think it would be easy to get your foot in the door.

You can find out the answer to your questions by ringing the nessacery companies (insurance etc)
and you could analyse a bars sales just by watching how many drinks people buy, spend a night watching on the sly and keeping a tally but remember it will all depends on the location.
The breweries would give you an idea of bulk costs.

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
    #7558622 - 10/25/07 10:24 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

What are you asking us for?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: how much money can you make owning a bar? [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #7558638 - 10/25/07 10:29 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Because he likes us :confused:

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #7558841 - 10/25/07 11:31 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Thats way to much of an investment for someone new to the scene. I can image there are thousand ways to get screwed as a newbie in that bussines.
I'd say building a new club from scratch would be almost impossible as a first time venture without major venture capital and know-how.

I once seriously entertained the thought of buying a club in bar/club in Thailand but the amount of heiniken and singha i would have to sell to break even every month was unreal. And frankly selling booze is the easy part.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
    #7558975 - 10/25/07 12:05 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Doobie said:

Shit.. cuz we got all kindsa ppl here. I ask a Q about phone lines and I get someone responding that works for Verizon. I figure there's probably enough ppl here in teh food/bar business that I can get a little advice :wink:

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: how much money can you make owning a bar? [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #7558998 - 10/25/07 12:14 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Yea I'd probably have to get someone else who knows the business to be a manager or consultant if I offer a % ownership in the company. I have a buddy that is a successful real estate agent now. 10 years ago or so he ran his own small restaurant made mostly for take out and delivery. He failed at it. He'd probably be someone I'd want to get involved with it. Sure he failed, but failture is a great way to learn.

I'm working my ass off and lets just say hypothetically in 3 years I have an income of 25K a month. Between that and a savings I would probably have enough money and CREDIT to get loans to start something up.

I'd never do it myself... on my own. I'd like to have a small stage so I'd probably pick up one of the few club owners out there that offer themselves as consultants for people trying to start in the business. As far as running the BAR/FOOD itself.. it's probably a dime a dozen to find someone with managemen experience in that area.

I've got tons of friends and aquaintances that are involved in DJing, setting up sound, and even throwing massive parties. Back during a lot of the huge 5000+ rave parties, I'd kiss ass to the promotors and get to pick up a bunch of DJs from the airport and chill with them and try to schmooze to learn the business.. got to meet A Man Called Adam, DJ Suv, Scott Henry (the man behind Buzz/Fever)Jumpin Jack Frost/etc.

I think the only real difficult and risky part would be the fact that I'd also like to incorporate my pipe dream into it... start a record label as well and have the club as a sort of launching/marketing point for the bands.

It's kinda risky I guess, but if I manage to BUY the building instead of lease I'd at least get some equity.

I guess I've seen 24-Hour party people one too many times. I'd like to eventually be the "Tony Wilson" of DC. Yea it might sound like a stupid pipe dream.. but hell.. if there's one place to rant and brainstorm about pipe dreams... why not let it be the Shroomery. There's such a vast Plethora (or yea I said PLETHORA) of experience and industries represented here.. not to mention just the fact that this is a SHROOM realted site, a lot of people here tend to think against the crowd.

Georgetown is the area I'm thinking of if any of you guys have ever been there. It's super trendy.. like the Melrose of Wash DC. Nonstop high end restaurants, bars, and shops all along the Potomac river. All the rich ass foreigners are always down there (I hear a lot of Itallian, French, etc) blowing 500 dollars on the shoes. Walk-in business is a total given.... considering the area I think 2.5 million for a 3 level 4500 sqft place right in the middle of the neighborhood is a great deal. Not only that but it's within walking distance of downtown Arlington, VA, Georgetown University and George Washinigton University so all the rich, bored college students that need to blow off steam are a few blocks away.

People in that area are more than willing to overpay for everything too. Hell... the DC burbs alone have 3 of the top ten richest counties in the nation.

I'm not so much worried about income as it is unexpected costs.

Property/Liability insurance are things that I had to really think about.

Does anyone know about how much permits and liability insurance cost for night clubs and bars?

Does anyone actually know for sure how much a liquir license is on average?

I guess I'm trying to solicit ideas from people who might have experience to think of other costs to determine ho realistic of an idea and how difficult it actually is to run a place like this.

The problem with DC.. not so much now, but before.. is the music scene here is always under a lot of scrutiny. When rave style clubs were HUGE here in the late 90's, even into the early 2000's... a lot of promotors were blackballed by the police in DC and Baltimore. Legally they couldn't shut people down, but they were constantly harassed and the cops would have everyone under magnifying glasses just LOOKING for a way to shut you down.

I don't have any felonies (or mistormeanors other than traffic offenses) so I wouldn't have any problem getting a liquor license. I'd probably offer free meals to cops during the day to get in good with the local law enforcement (not to mention its like getting free security).

Edited by BrAiN (10/25/07 12:24 PM)

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #7559031 - 10/25/07 12:22 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Ok cool dude. Not trying to thread on your dreams or anything.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: how much money can you make owning a bar? [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #7559048 - 10/25/07 12:25 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

naaa it's all good. Just looking for any feedback really.. constructive criticism, advice from ppl who have been in the industry, hell even anyone who's been a bartender or waiter who happen to know the bar managers/owners just to see what their lifestyles are like. Do the mangers and owners end up working from dawn till dusk or is it easy enough of a business to streamline to the point where you don't need to spend all your time there...

Look looking for any info like that.

Ive just heard from some people that running a bar makes you ton of money. Other people tell me that if you run a bar/restaurant.. odds are you'll fall flat on your face the first time you try... just trying to figure out what are the likely causes of failture.

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

#7559075 - 10/25/07 12:30 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

As far as I can tell, if you're going to open a bar, you might as well open one in a college town :vineclimb:

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: how much money can you make owning a bar? [Re: skydog]
    #7559087 - 10/25/07 12:32 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

True... however I'd be pretty strict in my alcohol policy.... I'd rather avoid the liability of being in a college town like College Park (U of MD).

However... like I said.. Georgetown district in DC is walking distances to Gerogetown U and George Washington University... a LOT of people go there for just grad school so there will probably be plenty of drinking age college students just a few blocks away.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
    #7559091 - 10/25/07 12:33 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Doobie said:

Besides.. what more APT of a place should I be asking about a bar than in a forum called "The Pub" :smile:

wink wink nudge nudge

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
    #7559289 - 10/25/07 01:41 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

At the fancy italian restaurant/bar I used to work at, I think they brought in about $2,000+ per night serving around 60-100 people.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: how much money can you make owning a bar? [Re: JT]
    #7559310 - 10/25/07 01:49 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Not bad.

How many bottles do you think they went through a night?

Just wondering because I'm assuming bars usually buy liquor in bulk. I'm wondering what a 20 dollar bottle of Jack Daniels goes for at a wholesale price.

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
    #7559468 - 10/25/07 02:30 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

the entertainment industry as a whole is in decline. less and less turnout to movie theaters, shows, and clubs. At the really expensive places, people only show up for good headliners.

you would make a lot more money. the guy Adamn you talked about, i think i met him a few months ago in a hotel after Uprise. I think he set up the Island Party as well. anyway his team was there and they make some sick money doing undergrounds.

there is infinitly more demand for undergrounds right now because of how shitty/over priced/over securitied/ over regulated the legit places have become. everyone will choose a night in a warehouse or barn over a night at the best club headliner.

my advice to you is:
1. make some friends with people in secluded areas
2. throw a monthly or bi monthly massive
3. fuck insurance, sales tax, liability, everything else. in the morning go home with your porfits in your pockets.

the underground needs orgnaziation and locations. do that, not another bloated ass venue.

as far as meeting the right people, i can introduce you to some people at the next underground, whenever that is. our last place got popped because the owner fucked us over.

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Re: how much money can you make owning a bar? [Re: moon_glue]
    #7559475 - 10/25/07 02:32 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

p.s. fuck georgetown. so dissapointing.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: how much money can you make owning a bar? [Re: moon_glue]
    #7559528 - 10/25/07 02:47 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Oh psssht. I'm 4500 sq ft is big but not that big. I don't want to overchange for a bunch of huge acts.. just want to play local bands and give them a chance... maybe charge 10 bucks at the door at most to pay them.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to run a bar in Georgetown. And I don't care about being "underground". To be honest I'm kind of sick of that term. I just want to run a place where ppl can have a good time. And I'd rather do it legit and get all my insurance and permits in order.

I'm not into underground raves any more.

And who cares if it's in Georgetown. Just because it's not some dingy hole in the wall club in the ghetto where only the "cool people" know where it is doesn't make it any less of a fun place. Those places end up getting all trendy eventually anyways. What am I supposed to do.. try to live my dream of owning a place like this and making a living by putting in a place where LESS people can find it? This isn't the mid 90's anymore where a bunch of E tards with glowsticks run around from checkpoint to checkpoint to get directions to evade the cops.

As long as it's affordable, the people you work with are laid and you're not invaded by the frat scene, and the music is good.. who cares if it's in Georgetown. It's closed minded just to think because it's in this trendy area that it's a "sell out" club.

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
    #7559531 - 10/25/07 02:48 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

A college campus would probably be the best place to open a bar.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: how much money can you make owning a bar? [Re: Tangerines]
    #7559549 - 10/25/07 02:52 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
A college campus would probably be the best place to open a bar.

I doubt a college campus would ever let you open a bar ON campus. The school I went to briefly sold beers late night at the food court, but quickly stopped that.

If youre' referring to just being right by a campus in a college town.. I don't know. I really don't want the fratty crowd where everyone dresses in school colors and gets all super rowdy yelling at college football.. not to mention I don't want to be inveaded by underage ppl trying to drink. Like I said.. I'd rather it be legit. Everyone carded... etc.

Most colleges out here are in the ghetto anyways (UMCP (terp campus), UMBC, etc).

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom