Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAzurescendence
Seeker of Knowledge
Male

Loc: NE United States
Starting Outdoor Patches with Spent Cakes...
    #7555886 - 10/24/07 04:51 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I know it is best with cubensis, growing outdoors and using BRF [PF] cakes, to use fresh cakes to spawn the manure/straw/compost/whatever one may be spawning to... but since I'm going to be attempting some cake growing regardless and I'd rather not waste the cakes by throwing them away I was wondering what you guys thought (based on experience or some outside source) about using spent cakes to start outdoor beds. And by spent I mean cakes that have been properly maintained, dunked, etc. until they have used up the majority of their nutrients and stop producing mushrooms.

(ie: is it effective? If so: is it more or (particularly) less effective than using fresh cakes as spawn?)

Any information on this or suggestions would be appreciated; I'm just looking into the idea of being able to get something useful out of my spent cakes... such as a long-producing bed of cubensis out in the woods behind my house :smile:.

:mushroom2:

(p.s. I live in an area with ~70-95 degree F temps during the summer months with (usually) pretty high humidity, though it does get below freezing in the winter (will this kill the beds? Or do they reproduce every year, rather than go dormant and regenerate?) just FYI to give you an idea of my climate (I'm north of WV by a 1/4 of a state lol but not too high altitude).)

Thanks again, and peace and happy growing/living all. :cool:

--------------------
~ Peace, love, happiness, and good health to all. ~

Edited by Azurescendence (10/24/07 05:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomasaurus_rex
Mr. Newbie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
Re: Starting Outdoor Patches with Spent Cakes... [Re: Azurescendence]
    #22930280 - 02/21/16 02:59 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

I'd like to know what some other people think about this too

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Starting Outdoor Patches with Spent Cakes... [Re: Shroomasaurus_rex]
    #22930299 - 02/21/16 03:05 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Check my sig. It's mainly for wood lovers but there's plenty of people that can help with that.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Starting Outdoor Patches with Spent Cakes... [Re: Adden]
    #22930432 - 02/21/16 03:36 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

spent cakes work out alright, not the absolute best but it works. I like to sprinkle some new brf int he bed

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflinePyeR2
Phungophiliac
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia - NSW
Re: Starting Outdoor Patches with Spent Cakes... [Re: cronicr]
    #26478989 - 02/10/20 05:40 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

It seems like money for old rope if you have a suitable outdoor area.
There are quite few threads on using spent cakes as spawn and the pros and cons of doing so, however nobody who has done it has commented on the potency of fruit produced by this method.
I say this because there's also a number of threads that cover improving potency by increasing incubation times such as the one below. Even grain consolidated for several months before spawning to substrate is said to increase fruit potency.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15181139

So is it possible that fruit produced in this way could be more potent?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate