Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

when u think of nature
    #7545859 - 10/22/07 06:32 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

do u picture some grass and leaves in ur mind? admit it, all ur strong feelings about nature and even humans are nothing but pictures, u've become completely conditioned from knowing the real thing

the media has turned everything into pictures

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous #2

Re: when u think of nature [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #7546026 - 10/22/07 08:30 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

When I think of nature, I think of mountains and fresh air and puppies.  Not pictures though, as I can imagine walking around and climbing trees and shit. :sun:

Anonymous #3

#7546028 - 10/22/07 08:31 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:

the media has turned everything into pictures

The media hasn't turned anything into anything. They produce a product that you are free to take or leave.

Get out of the city. Nature's still there.

Anonymous #4

#7546117 - 10/22/07 09:21 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

When I read "when you think of nature" I got a mental image of two big beasts mating in a tropical rainforest.

I doubt the media put that there.

Anonymous #5

#7546414 - 10/22/07 11:18 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I picture the world trade centers falling down :shrug:

Anonymous #6

#7550603 - 10/23/07 12:02 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

when i think of nature the first things to pop into my head are chiggers and ticks... while i live in a house and have sustained a fair amount of psychological mediation through pervasive technologies, i do have a fairly robust understanding of what it means to be in nature. But my lifestyle generally retains regular immersion within "nature". More than most i would imagine. (of course defining "nature" can lead to profoundly semantic and quite subjective arguments)

But i don't think this can be entirely blamed on the "media". Perhaps the "mediating" factors of mordern lifestyle would be more appropriate. Media is a big part of it but technology plays an important role in dictating, or at least influencing, our overall life style.

You know chiggers.... they are invisible... nature ain't so great. heehee

Anonymous #6

Re: when u think of nature [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #7550610 - 10/23/07 12:06 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

"When I read "when you think of nature" I got a mental image of two big beasts mating in a tropical rainforest.

I doubt the media put that there. "

I bet the media did put it in there.... have you ever witnessed large beasts mating in the rain forest... for that matter, have you actually ever seen the rain forest if not on the discovery channel? Maybe you have but i would venture to say most people posting on internet boards have not.

Anonymous #7

Re: when u think of nature [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #7550789 - 10/23/07 01:01 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
"When I read "when you think of nature" I got a mental image of two big beasts mating in a tropical rainforest.

I doubt the media put that there. "

I bet the media did put it in there.... have you ever witnessed large beasts mating in the rain forest... for that matter, have you actually ever seen the rain forest if not on the discovery channel? Maybe you have but i would venture to say most people posting on internet boards have not.

lol I wonder what posting on "internet boards" has to do with seeing large animals mating or a rainforest. Hell I live in a city and have witnessed many big varieties of animals getting it on before.

In any case the original post just sounds really immature like some lame half-baked, half-thought-out rant. You're just assuming the worst and overgeneralizing here. Someone who posted earlier is also right...it's your choice whether or not you watch TV or read newspapers or whatever. I don't even own a TV and take frequent trips out into the wild and there's lots of people that go out more than I do.

Maybe if you feel so strongly about it instead of dwelling on it letting it eat away at you, you just accept that there's media and it has effects on people and do your best to deal with it. Self-pity and mindless rants on forums won't do anything for you.

Anonymous #6

Re: when u think of nature [Re: Anonymous #7]
    #7550953 - 10/23/07 01:43 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I agree that self pity isn't the answer, but come on man, the point remains. The OP's statment was in regard to the notion of image coloring our thoughts on "nature", and one of the responses is: i think of big beasts mating in the rain forest. Had they said something like "nature evokes images of stray dogs fucking in the alley behind my apartment complex in the city" then i wouldn't have said anything. It may be generalizing, but i doubt the person who said that has actually witnessed animals mating in the rain forest other than on television.

A discussion of the effect of cultural over-saturation with image seems to be worthy of discussion. :shrug:
How many shroomerites have actually been to the rain forest?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (10/23/07 01:41 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Anonymous #4

#7551061 - 10/23/07 02:16 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

You're letting people answer a "How Many Of You" question with Yes or No.

Anonymous #8

#7551140 - 10/23/07 02:38 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea WTF the OP was trying to say here.

Anonymous #6

#7551416 - 10/23/07 03:36 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
You're letting people answer a "How Many Of You" question with Yes or No.

Blah... i typed it fast... yes i am asking how many of YOU have been to the rain forest and i don't particularly care about the grammatical context of the question. I'm sure you understood the point.
Incidentally, the question wasn't the only glaring grammatical miss step in my post, maybe you missed them... perhaps because your brain registered the POINT without dwelling needlessly on arbitrary linguistic rules. See how smart you are, the ability to sift through poorly composed writing is nothing to sneeze at!
Anyway, I didn't realize we were being graded, sorry i'll try harder next time.
By the way, the post wasn't intended to be confrontational, it's not like i'm judging you for never having been to the rain forest. I haven't ever been, sorry if your feelings were hurt.

Anonymous #4

#7551432 - 10/23/07 03:39 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

hahaha, this is Shroomerites Anonymous. It's just dust in the wind man.
No offense taken.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, Shroomism, george castanza, Alan Rockefeller, yogabunny
221 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.046 seconds spending 0.025 seconds on 19 queries.