Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleadrug

Backyard Hunting, Nebraska Oct 2007
    #7542800 - 10/21/07 01:27 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I have a huge grove of trees behind my house (Missouri River valley, Nebraska), which contains tons of rotting wood. Recently it rained every day for about a week, and after I noticed the first mushroom pop up, it was like it just wouldn't stop! There were tons of them, surrounding just about every moist log I could find.

Here's the first one I noticed, sticking up out of a crack in the top of a tree stump. I didn't have a knife and these suckers were strong; the stem ripped pretty good when attempted to pull one out. I took a spore print and it was extremely heavy, and brown.

Here's a little puffball which couldn't have been much bigger than a nickel at most. There were about 4 or 5 other similarly sized white puffballs nearby, all at the base of my dying maple tree.

Then I headed to the backyard, and after only about 1 minute of looking, this unknown caught my eye (populated by 1 snail):

While I was photographing the above fungus, I happened to look down at the base of the log, and saw the tiniest white mycenas. For size reference, I put my pinky finger in the shot.

I also found some other mycenas, this one apparently stuck to a garbage wrapper, and some sticking out of holes up the sides of trees...

Then I happened to brush aside some leaves at the base of a pile of rotting logs, and found this piece of wet wood with these three little fruits growing from them in a small cluster. These were also quite small, maybe an inch tall at most.

At the base of a tree, between two huge roots, I found this growing in what appeared to be mostly dirt with some rotting wood scattered around.

This wavy thing was growing on a pile of rotting wood/dirt, surrounded by leaves. It was too pretty for me to disturb.

These pictures didn't turn out so hot, since it was awfully sunny in this spot.

I think these were the prettiest mushrooms I found all day. They almost look like they're made of cashmere. At first, I thought they were some floppy jelly fungus, but then I look at their underside and saw gills and a short fat stem.

Again, growing out of a rotting log. Too many other logs in the way for me to get better angles, and I just don't have it in me to destroy every mushroom I find to get pictures of their undersides. I just feel too guilty. heh

In the same pile of logs, I noticed a log whose bark appeared to have come loose  from the wood, and some mycelium peeking out. I pulled back the bark and found this:

I've seen pictures of this mushroom many times, but for the life of me cannot remember what it is. It has that shiny pearlescent look to the cap; note the strands of mycelium running behind it that were originally covered by fallen leaves.

In the felled rotting tree trunk, laying on its side, I found this bright orange specimen. This one, I had to pull out to capture its color. So pretty.

And finally, another cluster of earthstars has popped up in the compost pile in the backyard. I finally managed to catch one in better condition. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Backyard Hunting, Nebraska Oct 2007 [Re: adrug]
    #7542822 - 10/21/07 01:31 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

nice pics.

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

InvisibleNormlizer420
Stranger

#7542825 - 10/21/07 01:32 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Great pics Adrug :grin:

Invisibleadrug

Re: Backyard Hunting, Nebraska Oct 2007 [Re: Normlizer420]
    #7542834 - 10/21/07 01:33 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks! :smile:

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
    #7542966 - 10/21/07 02:00 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Great stuff Adrug... The Mo River Valley area is extremely rich, I'm relatively close to that area myself and await reports from friends who are up hunting along the very water course this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if they come back with Gyms.

I don't know about your mushrooms but will take a stab at a few of the easier ones.

Your pointy puff ball thing is likely Lycoperdon pulcherrimum.

The gilled shelf like mushroom looks a lot like Panellus stipticus.

That little orange mushroom with free white gills might be Pluteus chrysophlebius, P. mammillatus, P. leoninus, or P. admirabils

I don't know about the others.... aside from the earth star, Geastrum saccatum

This one may be one of our weird and highly variable Armillaria species with a cottony veil and bulbous stem. I've seen them like that before... wish I could get my hands on them for a close look... neat mushrooms!!! Did you check spore color by any chance... know what you mean regarding ripping mushrooms out of their homes for no reason... I feel kinda bad about it sometimes too?

Please keep posting your awesome Midwestern finds!!!!!

:cigarettepug:

Edited by georgeM (10/21/07 04:44 PM)

Invisibleadrug

Re: Backyard Hunting, Nebraska Oct 2007 [Re: georgeM]
    #7543215 - 10/21/07 03:07 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

GeorgeM, thanks for the ID's. I did some looking on mushroomexpert.com and came across this description:

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/pluteus_aurantiorugosus.html

The photos included here look pretty much exactly like what I found, especially the very bottom. I may run back out later and see if I can grab the other fruit that was growing in that log to get a spore print.

Invisibleadrug

#7543328 - 10/21/07 03:39 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Bah, I'm out of luck...it was so windy all day that everything has dried out and the second orange fruit is gone, presumably eaten by some bug. I'm lucky I went hunting yesterday instead of today...

Invisibleadrug

#7543376 - 10/21/07 03:55 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I did find a small cluster that I missed yesterday though...or possibly new since yesterday. Its awfully cold today, but its supposed to rain again some more and then warm up, so hopefully this isn't the end yet!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #7543402 - 10/21/07 04:04 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

nice pictures and happy hunting. it's nice to see you posting in the hunting forum.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblebort

Re: Backyard Hunting, Nebraska Oct 2007 [Re: canid]
    #7543459 - 10/21/07 04:22 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Lovin that white puffball ball mushroom.
Looks like a inactive thou.

Edited by bort (04/08/10 06:59 AM)

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
    #7543577 - 10/21/07 04:57 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Everyone loves the white puff ball!
You might want to keep checking back on them for fun. As (if) they continue to grow the spines will elongate a bit while remaining attached at their points in clusters of three or so. It's really alien like.
If you have access to a microscope check out the spores, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Too bad about the drying winds and missing mushrooms, it happens.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract