Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehilfloskind
Psychonaut
Male

Grain bags in double tub progress *pics*
    #7538859 - 10/20/07 10:45 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

This is after a solid two weeks of full colonization from B+ in a very healthy honey LC. The first week or so after full colonization, I left them in the bags (cut/clipped shut) but fanned them 4-5 times a day each. I then got a double tub setup with perlite as a base and removed them from the bags. Since then, it seems slow but they definitely have progressed. All the "fluffy" marshmallow spots have been popping up/growing steadily since placing in the FC.

Now, as some pics shows, there are some spiky spots dabbled across various places where the puffy growth has been most prolific. To help this along, I'm going to get polyfil and make some holes this afternoon(as shown in the double tub tek here) for better FAE/CO2 exchanges throughout each day.

I expect another week or so before pinning but definitely wanted to show my progress so far and see if anyone has any comments/input...

--------------------
Given enough time for the generations to evolve, the predator produces particular survival adaptations in its prey which, through the circular operation of feedback, produce changes in the predator which again produce changes in the prey which again change the predator - etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...Many powerful forces do the same thing. You can count religions among such forces.

-The Stolen Journals

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Grain bags in double tub progress *pics* [Re: hilfloskind]
    #7538910 - 10/20/07 11:02 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

That looks like it's in some severe need of fresh air. Open the box up and fan it well. To hell with polyfill. There is no need or reason to filter air to a fully colonized substrate. You want high humidity and lots of fresh air.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehilfloskind
Psychonaut
Male

Re: Grain bags in double tub progress *pics* [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7539310 - 10/20/07 01:27 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

As the undisputed expert on cultivation here, RR. What do you recommend? I just did four 1" poly fill holes in the dbl tub (2 at low points for CO2 and 2 on the top tub for FAE). I was thinking the same thing about the FAE fanning being the slowing culprit. What else would help improve my grow, RR? Now that I have the poly fill holes, would there still be further methods to increase the FAE? Would multiple fans daily still help along with the poly fill holes? Should I simply keep the chamber open for extended periods of time each day for massive FAE exposure along with the polyfill hole exchanges?

I'm sure I could've done more right from the start of my fruiting process to make this more efficient (i.e. casing). The thing is, I want this first grow to be a learning experience so I can move on to more lucrative teks after this one is finished.

Your input in particular has always seemed spot on here and I'd appreciate your suggestions immensely. Patience is definitely a requirement and I am making sure not to be rash in trying to mess with these too much out of impatient irrationality. As a first time grower, I know I have a lot to learn from people like yourself. Thanks!!!

Edited by hilfloskind (10/20/07 01:33 PM)

Offlinehilfloskind
Psychonaut
Male

Re: Grain bags in double tub progress *pics* [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7539336 - 10/20/07 01:35 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
That looks like it's in some severe need of fresh air. Open the box up and fan it well. To hell with polyfill. There is no need or reason to filter air to a fully colonized substrate. You want high humidity and lots of fresh air.
RR

When you say "To hell with polyfill." Are you suggesting the holes should be left open entirely and remove the polyfill for even more FAE/CO2 exchanges? I'm open for any ideas and I'm not going to fall into the trap of rushing without using proven methodology. My concern is that I end up being out of the house 5 days a week for work over about 10 hours of time. When I get home, I usually open and fan the tub 3-4 more times before going to bed. I imagine that any problems with FAE are linked to such a long period of time between my pre-work fanning in the AM and the multiple fans I do after work each night.

--------------------
Given enough time for the generations to evolve, the predator produces particular survival adaptations in its prey which, through the circular operation of feedback, produce changes in the predator which again produce changes in the prey which again change the predator - etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...Many powerful forces do the same thing. You can count religions among such forces.

-The Stolen Journals

Edited by hilfloskind (10/20/07 01:56 PM)

Offlinehilfloskind
Psychonaut
Male

#7539400 - 10/20/07 01:53 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Also, I know casing is the most productive way to grow using grain bags in a FC. Judging by the pics shown, would it be too late to slice up and/or cruble these then add a 1" layer of casing (Jiffy mix, 50/50 verm/coir, etc...)?

I don't want to try too many changed to my FC setup this late in the game if it proves to be counter productive. I know that already pinning grain bags aren't always a good thing to start casing. Any ideas?

--------------------

-The Stolen Journals

Offlinehilfloskind
Psychonaut
Male

#7543640 - 10/21/07 05:14 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Update!

I found some Blackow cow manure/fertilizer at Lowe's today and ended up crumbling the two bags and layering between the manure. Right now, I have a very thin layer of perlite (no more than 1/2") which is moist. Above that, another thin layer of Blackow. Then I crumbled both bags into the tub which ended up being roughly a solid 1.5" layer of colonized grain. Above that, a solid 0.5" of the Blackcow. The double tub has four holes around 1" each on the top and bottom tubs filled with polyfil. I've taped the bottom of the tub with silver masking tape to cover all but the top layer from any light exposure. The top of the tubs have been wrapped with foil to minimize FAE while the casing layer colonizes in my closet for a few days...

wish me luck!!!

--------------------

-The Stolen Journals

Edited by hilfloskind (10/22/07 07:26 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck