Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Loc: outer space
If you feel you have been medically mistreated...
    #7522815 - 10/16/07 11:59 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

where can you go to file a formal complaint? To both the hospital branch and to the "higher law"? There should be some kind of committee or board to file medical complaints, negligence, abuse, malpractice, or mistreatment issues.

Is there a time limit or deadline that you have to complete or fill out the form by?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: If you feel you have been medically mistreated... [Re: Crystal G]
    #7522844 - 10/16/07 12:08 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Take it to a lawyer. There are plenty of ambulance chasing lawyers around.

If you complain to the state medical board they aren't going to do jack shit unless you have some pretty solid evidence, in which case you should take it to a lawyer anyways.

-FF

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: If you feel you have been medically mistreated... [Re: fastfred]
    #7529464 - 10/17/07 10:18 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

alright so this basically took place sometime in January 07, let's flashback in time... Does anybody think that this would be enough to make a case?:

I had written an entire list of my symptoms ahead of time while I still could because I knew that I might have concentration and memory issues at the hospital. Symptoms included itching throughout entire body, nonstop menstrual bleeding, rectal bleeding, severe sphincter spasming/pain, uncontrollable muscle seizures (not just simple fasciculations but enough movement to call it a seizure of a muscle), pain in front right pelvic region while urination, strange taste of toxic fluids in my mouth, smell of rotten blood which I could only perceive, chest pain, disorientation, and a white collagen-colored gel oozing out of random arteries in my limbs, hands, and especially the scalp. Some symptoms started earlier on, and then they started multiplying at such a fast rate...

The nurse called the doctor in, and they were acting very professional about it, taking my situation very seriously, that is--until I told them about the drugs I was on. I knew that I would test positive for ketamine, methamphetaine, and heroin, but only admitted to meth. Although my last dose was over 20 hours ago, I still knew that I had to tell them about my daily injection habit in case of drug complications, in case it may direct them into pinpointing exactly what was wrong with me.

The second I told them about my drug use, I don't know WHY, but they stopped listening to me. They thought that I was either imagining or making up all the symptoms and triple-checked my heartrate and blood pressure to make sure I wasn't having a panic attack, which I knew I fucking wasn't from the very beginning! "Listen, I'm not here for my heart okay, I know my blood pressure is fine, I have one of those machines at home," I spoke firmer. "It's been this long since I took anything, I purposely waited until I was sober enough to make sure it wasn't just paranoia. I'm almost certain it's an infection can you PLEASE test me."

They took a urine sample to check my electrolytes, sodium level, and kidneys. They also talked about taking some blood samples from me to look at the white and red blood cell count.

'No no no,' I protested, 'You can do those too but please test for any organisms in my blood, I really believe I have an infection and it's invaded my bloodstream.' They wouldn't even LISTEN to me--I couldn't believe it! Here I am sitting there ADMITTING to being an IV user, ADMITTING to using unsterile equipment in infested areas, complaining about a possible infection, AND THEY AREN'T EVEN GOING TO BOTHER TESTING ME!!!

I start freaking out about it, asking why they aren't going to do some sort of blood test, and I kept demanding and demanding until he agreed to do a cross-culture test (I was to find out later that this was a complete lie). He left me with his sad example of a nurse, who rolled his eyes. "Oh yeah suuureeeeee... you're afraid of bugs in your body, right? Riiiiiiiiiiight." He was very sarcastic about any type of pain I was feeling and seemed extremely angered at my mere presence. He sat down to draw my blood and asked what happened to my arms. I told him my veins had collapsed in both arms and he would have to hit my legs. Nope, didn't listen again.

He moved up so that the tourniquet was closer to my wrist, and snapped it on as TIGHTLY as he could put it. I've had plenty of shots, and I've never had a tourney HURT as much as it did then. Then he prepares his 20G.

"I'm telling you, you won't be able to hit," I protested. My arm had already gone numb in less than 15 seconds. I asked if that was normal. He ignored my pleas about my arm going numb, just says, "Well that'll be because real nurses and doctors are doing it now, we know how to treat your veins much better than you do." Yea, whatever. I could probably hit better in the dark than this guy did. This sad excuse of a hospital employee stabs the 20G in there and of course misses. He pokes around in there for a while, and is only able to get blood bubbling in the vial at an extremely slow rate.

"I told you you wouldn't be able to hit." I said.

"Cause you have poor circulation. You have barely any blood running through you." After this observation, Nurse Obvious suddenly decided that he liked the other vein closer to my wrist better--AND SWITCHES THROUGH THE MUSCLE WITHOUT EVEN PULLING OUT!!! He did this MULTIPLE TIMES, swinging from side to side, pushing up, pushing down, fishing for it furiously as if slicing up steak with a knife.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!" I looked over at my arm, and there were two strange abscess-looking white bumps protruding from the vein he was originally in. I FREAKED OUT. "WHAT IS THAT???"

"Oh yeah, if I stick my needle through one of those and pop it, it'll burst your blood vessel and make a gaping hole in your vein. You'll bleed to death," he spoke in a very monotone way. I laughed weakly because I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't. He said, "Why would I lie to you?"

My friend was still in the room when all this was taking place, and at this point even he made a comment about the nurse's malpractice with the syringes.

"I don't wanna hear it!!!" the nurse barked back. "I've been in this industry for ELEVEN YEARS, ALRIGHT! I JUST got my 16 year old daughter back from some 27 year old punk METH DEALER OKAY!!!"

At this point I started getting a REAL panic attack. This guy was taking out his personal frustrations on ME because I admitted to my drug use. I was squirming on the bed, trying to look away from my arm, grimacing at every little thing the nurse was doing to it. He kept telling me that the tingling and loss of sensation was normal, but everybody in the room knew that he was intentionally giving me a hard time.

He FINALLY finished four blood samples, and before walking out, sneered, "I'm sorry that your friend had to accompany you here." He hands my friend the list of symptoms that I had written beforehand, adding that he didn't need it because it was "disgusting" because a drop of my blood was on it (I was writing it while my hands were bleeding). I said sorry and explained that the bleeding was one of my symptoms, but he remained silent and left the room without a word. The nurse comes back after dropping off the blood and attaching a hydration bag to an IV catheter in my arm. He then injects me with a random anti-psychotic (does not tell me what it is) and then announces: "Now you're going to get some sleep. Bye bye."

Except I didn't sleep. I started dazing in and out of a delirium similar to my ketamine trips. I remember speaking to another doctor, mentioning possibility of infection or other pulmonary disease, which he gave appropriate concern... until the part where drugs and injection came into play. This is the part that upsets me so bad; they took me completely 100% seriously, until they found out I was a drug user. When found out, all my credibility sudenly went down the toilet and my symptoms have been discarded. He basically tried to diagnoze me for schizophrenia and even went so far as to ask if I knew what the date was and where I was at the moment. I answered each question he did correctly with no hesitation, and he had the audacity to respond to glance me up and down and then answer, "Well you look healthy to me."

Okay. He's supposed to be a doctor and he is judging me based on APPEARANCE. This has been QUITE the frustrating experience for me.

"Look, we've collected four samples of your blood," he assured. "We'll do a culture collect and notify you of any growth results."

At this point, I'm just glad that something is about to be done. I agreed to being released from the hospital two hours later.

It doesn't even end there.

I called the hospital the next day for an update on my culture samples. The nurse I spoke to on the phone said that they were still being analyzed in the lab and it should take 2-3 days. When I called again the next day, and for some reason my file specified that only the physician was allowed to discuss my results with me. I didn't think anything of it until the doctor got on the phone and informed me: "Your bloodwork was never sent in to the lab."

Um, what. WHY??? Why did the doctor lie to me? Why did my bloodwork, which WAS pending in the laboratory the other day, mysteriously disappear? I asked them what health condition did they think they treated me for and they claimed "anxiety/panic attack." Yeah........ except when I walked in my blood pressure was totally normal, and I was acting very acting calm, that is, until their nurse basically stabbed me with a 20G...

I'm just so fucking glad I have a witness (my friend) that can attest; he saw the WHOLE thing happen at the hospital. So... I finally followed some advice and tried to seek medical attention, I BADLY NEEDED HELP yet even professionals were not willing to give it to me. Where do I go to if I want to complain about a particular medical group? Also, do I have a right to refuse to pay a single penny to this medical hospital? I'm not the suing type, but at the very least I should not have to pay for a disorder that was caused BY one of the nurses, nor did I ask it to be treated.

My rights as a consumer SHOULD include the following:
Right 1: the right to be treated with respect
Right 2: the right to freedom from discrimination, coercion, harassment, and exploitation
Right 3: the right to dignity and independence
Right 4: the right to services of an appropriate standard
Right 5: the right to effective communication
Right 6: the right to be fully informed
Right 7: the right to make an informed choice and give informed consent
Right 8: the right to support
Right 9: rights in respect of teaching or research
Right 10: the right to complain

I feel at least half, if not all these, were breached. Now, this hospital has sent the bill to a collection agency and is trying to get me to ruin my credit.

Here's the thing. Shortly after this doctor's visit, I had a severe mental breakdown and was sent to the psychiatric unit for 10 days for post-traumatic stress (this was a VERY expensive visit by the way). One of the issues that I discussed was my encounter at the hospital, and having everybody treat me like I was crazy for a long time (which eventually built up and DID make me crazy), and this can be verified by the psychiatrist there. I am thereby requesting that the hospital not only drop these charges that they have filed against me, but also pay a portion of my hospitalization at the psych ward.

Note that after I was let out, I scheduled a visit with my regular doctor, with another list of all my symptoms written-down. (Notice how he was professional and actually kept the list that I had written in his file, instead of discarding it as if it was trash). He then assumed, that with all the symptoms I had been showing, I must have had some kind of infection going on in my body and proceeded with all the proper tests. This proves, therein, that all the symptoms that I was perceiving was not an episode of acute psychosis, but rather, an issue that the doctors seemed to want to disregard because of a bias they could not look past.

That's about all I've got written for now.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #7529706 - 10/18/07 12:04 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Well in this litiginous country of ours, you may have a case. As suggested, you may want to speak with a lawyer.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#7530038 - 10/18/07 04:06 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

so in the end did you have an infection?

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: If you feel you have been medically mistreated... [Re: TheCow]
    #7531747 - 10/18/07 03:29 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Let me first say that I have sympathy for your case. But I don't really think you have much of a case. If you just want to vent I would complain to the hospital administrator. Focus on the fact that the staff was rude and discourteous to you to the point that it affected the quality of your care and could have or possibly did negatively affect your health.

Your case just doesn't have any points that specifically merit the accusation of malpractice IMO. You came in complaining of what you thought was sepsis. Sepsis is a quite serious condition. It sounds like you didn't have low blood pressure or fever, which are the main symptoms.

They should have done a white blood cell count and cultured your blood. The WBC would have been done within several hours, but the culture would take several days. The WBC wouldn't really tell them all that much, and your condition would probably be resolved by the time the culture was completed. My guess is that they did the WBC, which was normal, so they probably canceled the culture.

There's no excuse for being rude and hostile towards a patient, but I think you got adequate and appropriate medical care. Apparently they did not see any symptoms that warranted treatment and none-the-less gave you a tranquilizer to ease your anxiety and monitored you for a time. That constitutes a reasonable level of care so I really don't think you have a case.

As far as them throwing away your list of symptoms, that is also normal. They aren't allowed to file paperwork with blood on it. It probably should have been immediately put into the biohazard waste bin.

Regardless of how much it sucks for you, sometimes it helps to think how it would play out in court. Your complaint would amount to rudeness, dismissal of your self-reported symptoms, and a bad stick. They would say that you were complaining of phantom symptoms and could find nothing wrong with you. They'd say that when they dismissed your self-diagnosis of sepsis, combined with a bad stick that was the result of you being an IV drug user, you had a panic attack which they treated you for. They would say that you demanded certain lab work which they didn't run because they deemed it unnecessary. And in the end you didn't actually have sepsis, as you would have had a lot more serious symptoms and would have gotten a lot worse before you got better.

As far as I can tell it does sound like you were having phantom symptoms, most likely as a result of meth-related hallucinations/delusions.

-FF

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: If you feel you have been medically mistreated... [Re: fastfred]
    #7532820 - 10/18/07 07:48 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

A rule of thumb always followed in the ER I used to work at was:

"If the patient has three or more chief complaints, their is nothing wrong with them"

Just so you know, whether or not you had psychosomatic symptoms, their all all sorts of crazies that show up at hospitals claiming everything under the sun

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: If you feel you have been medically mistreated... [Re: johnm214]
    #7534310 - 10/19/07 06:52 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

> "If the patient has three or more chief complaints, their is nothing wrong with them"

*laugh* I've never heard that one, but it is a fairly accurate description of what I have seen. The people that work in emergency rooms have seen it all and are pretty darn good at determining what is a real problem/emergency and what is not. I may be a bit biased as I only have a single sample for experience, but assume all others operate about the same.

There is an old Zen proverb along the lines of "You are only aware of one pain. To get rid of a headache, stub your toe."

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: If you feel you have been medically mistreated... [Re: Seuss]
    #7546605 - 10/22/07 12:05 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

this just got moved to a new forum, so:

bump

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
    #7546686 - 10/22/07 12:26 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

--

Edited by BrAiN (03/13/08 12:41 PM)

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Re: If you feel you have been medically mistreated... [Re: BrAiN]
    #7546712 - 10/22/07 12:33 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

BrAiN said:
My fiance went through a long period of being treated by doctors who treated her like crap simply because she was on a workman's comp case and the doctors knew it would take longer than usual before they got paid or because she wasn't an American citizen (I've never felt such racism and snottiness against Hispanics anywhere as I've seen it in the LA area)... also doctors telling her she had no hope of getting better so there was no point in performing any more tests (which was bullshit because the second I put her on a GOOD health plan later, the doctors made a TON of progress, very easily)... doctros scheduling her for therapy for really bad pains and then going out fishing and forgetting about her which she sat in the parking lot crying because she was in too much pain to drive home. There were a lot of times during her case that I wanted to drive down to the doctors that shunned her and stick my foot up their asses.

The system sucks.. and a lot of times... There isn't shit you can really do about it.

My advice would be to switch health providers or doctors if you can.

One bad nurse isn't really reason to get into an uproar BUT... if I was at a smaller doctor's office and I was consistently treated like crap.. I think the best thing to do would be to launch a campaign against them: i.e. tell the PRESS.. newspapers and the like. Tell all your friends how crappy their service is. Hell... make some signs which articulate how crappy they are and stand outside their office so all their patients can see it. I bet that would cause a huge uproar in their office.

fuckyea, i know exactly what you're talking about with that first portion. when my friend broke his ribs in a fight, he walked into the free medical clinic while he was still drunk and they treated him like SHIT. made him wait for hours, told him to shut the fuck up, called him a drunkard dumbass hick, deliberately poked pretty damn hard (harder than they should have) in the area that was broken, all up in his face asking "DOES IT HURT???" they didn't give him any pain pills or anything either. i wanted to tax those motherfuckers.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
    #7546951 - 10/22/07 01:41 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

It's weird how it differs from time to time. 4 years ago I had quit my job and my health insurance had just ended 3 days before I went to this bar with my friends.

I got drunk and ended up running, tripping on something, LANDING on asphault on my face and SLIDING my face across the asphault for a few feet. I broke my nose and was bleeding all over the place.

I only have a few vague flashes of memory, but apparently they figured out that I didn't have insurance and still treated me pretty well. It must have been a slow night for them. This one cop I ran into even treated me prety well. After it was all over at 3am outside the hospital I was half passed out on the bench all covered in fiacial bandages and still reeking of booze. The cop poked me with his nightstick and was like "you alright there buddy?"

I think I mumbled something like "uHmm Hrrmphh .. uh.. yeaaaa I think"

He just said.. "aight".. and kept walking on.

I've been suprisingly lucky everytime I've ever been in a hospital.

well.. except for that one time I was a teenager and had an outpatient surgery to correct a deviated sceptum. Apparently the docs uses cocaine to numb my face. I was supposed to be in an out in 3 hours. Instead I ended up puking blood all night in a hospital bed instead... having the nurses poke syringes full of morphine into my ass.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies