Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNinja_Mushroom
Stranger
New here. Newbie questions.
    #752064 - 07/16/02 07:55 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Ok. So I'm new to growing for the most part. I know the basics..

But I need a few ideas.

I'm sure I could have found all I needed in the FaQ's.

But I find real people can answer any questions I have better than any FaQ.

I've got a 40 gallon rubber made chamber. I have no PC. I've got jars and 2 spore sys. coming. One of PS Hawiian and another of Thai KS Pink buffalo.

I was going to do organic Rye, but now I know I need a PC. So thats out, so I'm thinking Organic Brown long grain rice.

Thing is, I want to grow for myself and a select group of friends. Shrooms 'round here are really expencive. We're tired of paying top dollar for.. sub standard mushrooms.

In no way do I intend to sell them.

Can I fill the bottom of this rubber made with Brown rice, done in the brown rice tek. I found. (Thanks brownpastures) I'm not much interested in cakes.

So, as a newbie I ask all you wise growers out there.

Can I fill the bottom of a 40 gal. rubber made with brown rice substrate and have a good result?

Should I use a casing? If so, which?

Thats about it for now. I'm sure I'll have questions of those who are kind enough to respond.

Thanks in advance
-Ninja.

Edited by Ninja_Mushroom (07/16/02 07:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: New here. Newbie questions. [Re: Ninja_Mushroom]
    #752323 - 07/16/02 11:15 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

I'm sure I could have found all I needed in the FaQ's.

Then read them you lazy lttle prick.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineclosetfreak
Loc: h-town
    #752402 - 07/17/02 02:09 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

So far you are WAY OFF. Most people around here won't help you unless at least do some research yourself. This is a hobby of patience and you will need to be patient and click on every link at twice and when you think you've got it, go back and click again. Then you will see.

I wish lots of luck....All your answers are right under nose..you journey has just begun!

--------------------
back to my closet

Offlinewhackedout
journeyman
    #752407 - 07/17/02 02:20 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"Can I fill the bottom of a 40 gal. rubber made with brown rice substrate and have a good result? "
I think you need to practice with some cakes and do things just like everyone else, the long way. Its the only way to grow mushrooms, you have to take your time, sometimes you dont harvest a bunch for a while, but in 2-6 mos you will learn a great deal and be able to grow as many as you want. Trying to skip this stage will only cause yourself to get tired of growing green/yellow/black scum in that large container you have.

Offlinequietnick
Stranger
Re: New here. Newbie questions. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #752492 - 07/17/02 04:05 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

WOW that was way harsh. i can't beleive people forget they they were new at this at one point. yes starting out with PF tek is a very good way to get great results. greatly cuts down the contams. i would hold of on all casings until you're familiar with the life cycle and are confident with your printing abilities. spores become expensive after while [esp. if you're contaming your casings all the time]

learn a liquid culture technique to better get more inoculum
get a PC
construct a glove box

cakes are great though... try invitro if you dont have a terrarium... low maintence great flushes conpared to how much work you do

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: quietnick]
    #752526 - 07/17/02 04:39 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Offlinemidas
Loc: dirty south
Re: New here. Newbie questions. [Re: Macey Howard]
    #752643 - 07/17/02 05:54 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

he's going to over do it
don't think you will go straight to the big stuff by the time you get that to work even if i understand what your trying to do which i don't i could have tuaght my dog to use ten different teks producing more shrooms than your state could eat while your at walmart by 1/2 pints to pf

though it will take time in the long run it will save you a lot of time starting where we all did with the basics

this is not to say not to experiment my first time i had several experiments that i just made up that worked pretty good but i also was doing the basics while everything else was just for fun

good luck and hed these masters advice i do and i'm no slouch (idon't think?)

Offlinefrank_grimes
Warrior of Corporate Bullshit
 User Gallery

Loc: Springfield, USA
    #752694 - 07/17/02 06:15 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If you don't do any of your own research, nobody will help you. You really need to read up on the basics before you start asking really silly questions. You can expect many more responses like the one luvdemshrooms posted if you keep making posts like this one. Read, learn, then ask questions. Don't be lazy!

-Grimey

Offlinegoldentop
Stranger

Loc: Northeast, USA
    #752715 - 07/17/02 06:27 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

hehe

Offlinegoldentop
Stranger

Loc: Northeast, USA
    #752722 - 07/17/02 06:30 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Invest in a PC or you will harvest nothing but contams. Wal-mart has a small one for about $20.00 If you put your substrate in a big tub you will end up with a big tub of green mold. Think small at first, your risk of contams is smaller that way.

Offlinesummitstealth
D-dog

Loc: EastCoast, USA
Growing Mushrooms "here ya go" [Re: Macey Howard]
    #752731 - 07/17/02 06:33 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, Buddy see-ya need some help probably been better if you looked around alittler more and read some stuff about growing mushrooms, Incubating ect.. but here is all that you need to do to get those shrooms growing for a newbie like your self. Now this wont produce large flushes of shrooms but you well get what you looking for and maybe you well become better at growing them and be able to use grains and other mushroom substrates in the future. Ok here we go first thing were going to cover Incubating the spores. You well need

one 10cc or 12cc spore syringe
wide mouth 1/2pint canning jars
3-5 gallon Pot w/lid
BRF/Vermiculite
Aluminum Foil
Hammer w/ 6d or 8d size nail
Lysol for sterilizing the room
Lighter for sterilizing niddles and so forth
for futher sterilizing your work area get some Rubbing Alcohol 91%

Now If their are any Fans or air units on cut them off. Less air circulating through your work area means less Contams coming in on you while your working. OK Now take your Canning jars and poke a hole in each one with the hammer and nail. After thats done start to prepare your Substrate. That would be your BRF/Vermiculite. Place 1/2 cup of vermiculite into a mixing bowl. Place 1/4 cup brown rice powder on top of the vermiculite. Slowly add water directly onto the brown rice powder, wetting it first. Thoroughly mix the ingredients. The mixture should feel damp and cohesive. Mix Each jars substrate individually for loading to insure accurate formula rendering. Fill each jar level with the top and cup you hand over the top and smack the bottom of the jar with your other hand to lower the level of the mixture. Leave about 1/2 inch at the top so you can add that much more dry Vermiculite to wort of contaminates. If your using a P-cooker you might not want the lid so tight if your substrate has alot of moister content because the water well drawl to the bottom of the jars and you dont want that. After thats all done put the lids back on the jars and put them in the p-cooker or what ever your boiling the water in. Place your jars in the Pot and add water, make sure it only reaches 1/2 way or 3/4 way up on the jars. If 3/4 the way dont cook at to high of a temt at first so the water well not boil up over the lids. boil for about 45mins to an Hour just for good measure. now after you have did that take the jars out and if you have more add them ore you can drain of the water and leave the jars in the pot if you have nothing to handle them with. But however you do it make sure you take if safe. Dont want to have skolding hot water spill on you and get rushed to the Hospital. After they have cooled to room temp it's time to incubate. Spray the room around you with Lysol to kill airborn contaminates after that wipe down the area you well be working in with Rubbing alcohol. Now take you Ready to use Spore Syringe and heat the tip of the niddle with your lighter then wipe it clean with the rubbing alcohol after that wait just a few seconds befor injecting the jars with the Spores. Take the Syringe and inject each jar with 1/2cc and after you have injected all the jars put Aluminum foil around the top to cover the hole and your done just take the jars somewhere where it's dark and temp around high 70's to low 80's. Reason i say that is because if you dont have some type of heater to keep the room at 82-84F It well take longer for the Mycelium to grow. If you can just put them somewhere where the temp is in the high 70's you well be fine.

Tip. When injecting the jars with the Spores try to angle the niddle where the spores drain down the inside of the jar

Tip. You could also cover the hole jar with Aluminum foil to keep the jars dark as possible and check them every 2-3 days to make sure no contaminates have invaded the jars.

Happy Shrooming

--------------------
Sporeworks
Ralphster44's Spores
MicronFilter Disc
Hawkseye

Edited by summitstealth (07/17/02 06:42 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: New here. Newbie questions. [Re: quietnick]
    #753327 - 07/17/02 10:29 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

WOW that was way harsh. i can't beleive people forget they they were new at this at one point.

No, I didn't forget but before I posted a single question I read posts here for weeks. I read the MMGG and the PFTek. I read the grow/find section of this site and talked to people I know who grow.

To have some smart ass little turd come here and say he can't be bothered to do the same pisses me off.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleNinja_Mushroom
Stranger
    #753642 - 07/17/02 01:01 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Humm.

For those that responded. Thank you. You're info will be used to it's fullest.

As it is obvious, I am VERY new to all of this.

Some have said to do my own research.

I did, somewhat. I found Brownpastures Brown rice tek. I found where to get my spores. I looked over PC notes and alternatives.

I'm sorry if my newbieness offends.

I asked a question I could find no answer for. Can you use Organic Brown rice.. in a non-cake way.

I've now been informed by the few decent enough to reply keeping in mind everyone starts somewhere. That cakes are the best place to start. So that is where I shall start.

Thank you few that said something worth while.

-Ninja.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#753676 - 07/17/02 01:15 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

I'm sorry if my newbieness offends.

It would seem you missed the point. It is not your "newbieness, as you put it, that offends. It's posting that you can't be bothered to look for info so you expect everyone here to tell you how to do it.

All you needed to do was to have typed in "organic" using the search feature, and you would have had your answer.

Lazy little puke.

--------------------

OfflineOrbita6974
journeyman
    #753761 - 07/17/02 01:46 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #753791 - 07/17/02 01:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

To have some smart ass little turd come here and say he can't be bothered to do the same pisses me off.

Therein lies your problem... I did the same as you, educated myself by reading for weeks upon weeks and have never asked a stupid question that can easily be answered by reading the FAQ's/tek's.... BUT.... I don't let newbie dumb-asses piss me off enough to make my ratio of useful posts to forum-correction bullshit posts go anywhere near yours.

You have over 1000 posts and I'd be willing to bet that 900 or more are pissed-off forum corrections.

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: New here. Newbie questions. [Re: TM]
    #754212 - 07/17/02 04:59 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

pisses me off

Figure of speech.

didn' realize I had broken 1000. Wow, maybe I should start a thread congratulating myself.

I have fun doing what I do so the ratio is if no interest to me.

850 maybe.

--------------------

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #754218 - 07/17/02 05:03 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

I have fun doing what I do

And I have fun reading 'em, but sometimes you go too far.

Cool it a little, and gain some respect and admiration.

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Offlinewalt
?
    #754298 - 07/17/02 05:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

actually he intimidates newbies into reading.

after luvdemshrooms punks them out they don't come back asking those type of questions.

and i enjoy reading posts before he does i can pick the ones he's gonna respond to.

Offlinesummitstealth
D-dog

Loc: EastCoast, USA
    #754306 - 07/17/02 05:42 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

ha Congrats their luvdemshrooms for braking the 1000 post, thats cool i think myself im somewhere around 40 maybe someday huh!!! . Anyway like to say Hi-ya to TripMeister you guys are the true Myco's experts. I also try not to ask a dumb ?'s in here i mean hell if there not about someway increasing your flushes or maybe growing shrooms 15inches tall like some B+ and pink buffalo do then why ask questions like that. When it's very open on the net and all over shroomery where they are posting their "hey guys guess what im a newbie and i need to know how to grow mushrooms well i really mean shrooms so i can grow some and trade them of for Pills or maybe somthing like som alcohol from a buddy of mine and get drunk maybe even kill someone. Wait i have a better idea I'm going to grow them from now on and sell them to everyone and every place i go. I't would probaby be nice of me if i were to give some to friends now and then or maybe share or give prints away and if they want teach them what i know. That makes me kinda pissed off that people well do that mainly kids

--------------------
Sporeworks
Ralphster44's Spores
MicronFilter Disc
Hawkseye

Edited by summitstealth (07/17/02 05:48 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate