Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Should I take the free rent, free tuition, free car? (edited title)
    #7515908 - 10/14/07 01:53 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I'm going back to school full time and am taking out a loan. It's the only way I'll be able to get an education and to begin a career. My loan will cover my living expenses and classes. And I'll need someone to cosign.

My grandparents in law are rich. Really rich. They are millionares and have already paid for my college once and I didn't appreciate it and dropped out. But this is different; because I'm asking them to cosign on a loan that *I* am intending to pay back. I just need a bit of their help and then I'll be on my way to forging my own reality.

But I'm nervous. What if they say no? I'll be bummed.

Edited by MOTH (10/14/07 06:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: About to ask my rich grandparents-in-laws to cosign for a huge loan [Re: MOTH]
    #7515909 - 10/14/07 01:55 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

You could always move to Wisconsin.

Its ridiculously easy to get money for college here.

The state literally throws more money at me than I want every year.

Its even worse since I'm over 24 now.

They offer me thousands more than I accept every year.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: About to ask my rich grandparents-in-laws to cosign for a huge loan [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7515913 - 10/14/07 01:57 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Damn. Know anything about how it is in Massachusetts? I've lived here for about one year.

I'm worried that my credit history isn't solid enough to qualify for the amount of money I'll need to survive comfortably and attend school full time at the same time.

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: About to ask my rich grandparents-in-laws to cosign for a huge loan [Re: MOTH]
    #7515916 - 10/14/07 01:57 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Apply for financial aid.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7515920 - 10/14/07 01:59 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I have no idea about financial aid in any states other than here and Illinois.

I grew up in Chicago, but I'm going to school here because you cannot get a dime in Illinois unless you are either from downstate, or black.

I can only say go to your financial aid office and see whats available. But I assume since you're applying for a private loan that you've already checked out State/Federal funding options.

I mean, almost EVERYONE will qualify for a federal Stafford loan...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: About to ask my rich grandparents-in-laws to cosign for a huge loan [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7515926 - 10/14/07 02:02 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I'm going tomorrow to talk to a financial aid advisor.

The thing is, I'm going to need about $1000 a month in living expenses and then however much it is for a full load of classes each semester for a year.

Does this sound realistic? Will I be able to get this much? What's going to happen?

Offlinezepp420
Expat
Male

Loc: Netherlands
    #7515929 - 10/14/07 02:03 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Move to the Netherlands.. The government here will do anything for you. They wipe my ass any chance they get, but it kinda creeps me out when I turn around and they're there.

I keep wondering how they get in...

--------------------
Listen to Crosby Stills and Nash.

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
    #7515930 - 10/14/07 02:03 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

What do you plan on studying?

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Invisiblebukkake
Male

#7515931 - 10/14/07 02:03 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Well. How old are you? Are you married? How much did you make last year? Do you plan on beginning this Spring or the next academic year?

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: About to ask my rich grandparents-in-laws to cosign for a huge loan [Re: bukkake]
    #7515937 - 10/14/07 02:05 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Global studies for two years at a community college (need to get my gpa up), then I'm going to a university and doing anthropology. I want to start this spring. Yes, I am officially married and I will be 25 in January.

Invisiblebukkake
Male

#7515958 - 10/14/07 02:12 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

That is good. That means you will be considered independent when you file your financial aid application. Your problem is timing if you're beginning in the Spring. Most people apply in March-July for financial aid in the upcoming academic year. The amount of aid you get will depend on yours and your spouse's combined income.

The official government financial aid website where everyone must submit their application through, where ever they plan to go to school in the country, is http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

You can find a lot of information there.

You could get a federal(stafford) loan like someone suggested earlier to cover the Spring semester if you don't have financial aid though. Community colleges are inexpensive and it should cover everything.

Quote:

The thing is, I'm going to need about $1000 a month in living expenses and then however much it is for a full load of classes each semester for a year.

It's tough to work over 30 hours and go to school full-time if you want to maintain good grades, but it's possible.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7515959 - 10/14/07 02:12 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

If I had been paying 1K per month in living expenses, I may have needed another loan too.

That seems pretty ginormous.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#7515968 - 10/14/07 02:14 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

My rent for a 1 bedroom near Boston is 950 a month. Not to mention all the other stuff associated with living.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: About to ask my rich grandparents-in-laws to cosign for a huge loan [Re: bukkake]
    #7515979 - 10/14/07 02:17 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bukkake said:
That is good. That means you will be considered independent when you file your financial aid application. Your problem is timing if you're beginning in the Spring. Most people apply in March-July for financial aid in the upcoming academic year. The amount of aid you get will depend on yours and your spouse's combined income.

The official government financial aid website where everyone must submit their application through, where ever they plan to go to school in the country, is http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

You can find a lot of information there.

You could get a federal(stafford) loan like someone suggested earlier to cover the Spring semester if you don't have financial aid though. Community colleges are inexpensive and it should cover everything.

Quote:

It's tough to work over 30 hours and go to school full-time if you want to maintain good grades, but it's possible.

I will be doing 15-20 hours a week working, but if I got enough of a loan to live on then that wouldn't be necessary.  Ideally, I wouldn't have to work.  I don't really want to.  :shrug:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#7515990 - 10/14/07 02:20 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I am about to call them I guess. After I take a meditative shower. I'm pretty fucking scared.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#7516111 - 10/14/07 02:54 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, so it looks like I'm not going to be able to rely on anyone else but myself for this one. That is normal and I should have realized.

I'm still going to go college full time. Even if I have to kill myself by also working full time, I don't care.

I don't fucking care.

Offlinezepp420
Expat
Male

#7516116 - 10/14/07 02:56 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

They said no?

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: About to ask my rich grandparents-in-laws to cosign for a huge loan [Re: zepp420]
    #7516135 - 10/14/07 03:02 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Pretty much. I think they view me as a "risky investment."

They invest in property you see, not people. Fucking millionaires.

I might be able to swing getting a moderate sized loan, working parttime, and then going to school full time. My partner (who wasn't very supportive at first) has changed his tune now that he realized how much it meant to me and he said that he can help me out with living expenses.

The catch to all of this: the grandparents said that if I wanted to move to Texas they would let me live in one of their duplexes for free, pay for all my college tuition and buy me a car.

But I moved from Texas for a good reason. And that town they live in...EW.

Offlinezepp420
Expat
Male

#7516166 - 10/14/07 03:11 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I have to say, if you do it on your own in the end you will feel much better and be stronger than you ever could getting help from the gramps. And this way you can prove to them and yourself that you are not a risky investment.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: About to ask my rich grandparents-in-laws to cosign for a huge loan [Re: zepp420]
    #7516221 - 10/14/07 03:25 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

True that. Actually, them turning me down was probably necessary because my will just hardened into iron.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom