Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
The Seasonal Beer Thread
    #7511829 - 10/13/07 12:21 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

In this thread post you favorite seasonal beers. What you thought, availibility, etc.

Im allways on the lookout for good beers.

So i picked up a keg of Pyramids seasonal Snow Cap ale.

Its VERY good if you can find this try it. Very dark, but the flavor doesnt grab you by the balls. Its really full. And strong.

8-10

Quote:

http://www.pyramidbrew.com/beer/beerguide/snow_cap.php

A rich, full-bodied winter warmer crafted in the British tradition of holiday beers. This deep mahogany colored brew balances complex fruit flavors with a refreshingly smooth texture, making Snow Cap a highly drinkable and desirable cold weather companion.

Original Gravity: 17.3
Alcohol By Volume: 7.00%
Malts: 2-Row Barley, Caramel, Chocolate Malt
Hops: Willamette, East Kent Goldings
Availability: October - February
Best Paired With: Shellfish, rich game and even rich chocolatey desserts

Silver Medal, World Beer Championships, "Strong Ale", 1998

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: The Seasonal Beer Thread [Re: sui]
    #7512465 - 10/13/07 03:57 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

ive always liked the sierra nevada celebration ale. Also all of Stone's winter ales, also the Alesmith Yulesmith winter ale is good

OnlinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #7519444 - 10/15/07 01:16 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Well that's welcome news! I'm very happy to hear that the winter season Snow Cap is back on the shelves, I might have to go hunting this afternoon for a case or five. Twas one of the first seasonals I really fell in love with back in the winter of four years past whilst attending school in Santa Cruz.

Seems I'm often disappointed with summer seasonals, in my experience they're just too light on the body, with little complexity or richness. I was finally set straight one sunny summer's day along I-5 in the Rogue Valley of Southern Oregon, upon trying a tasty American Pale Ale summer release, the Twilight Ale offered up by Deschutes Brewery from Bend, Oregon [my review of this beer]. Still hoarding a couple of 2007 cases from this past July, I try to keep this one stocked nearly year 'round (though it never seems to make it quite the whole stretch!).

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Re: The Seasonal Beer Thread [Re: geokills]
    #7519523 - 10/15/07 01:39 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ill have to remember to try that when summer rolls around again.

Im driking an Anchor Liberty Ale right now. First time ive tried it. I like it better than their steam beer.

And for later i picked up one of these.

Quote:

This style was originally developed to be hard and bitter enough to withstand the travel and storage required to reach the torrid climate in India. When the soldiers returned home they found themselves so accustomed to its bold character, they requested it as a regular Pub offering. Our IPA is brewed with Canadian 2-row Pale Malt, Crisp Specialty Malt and triple hopped with Cascades and Columbus Hops.

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#7519712 - 10/15/07 02:28 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Marin's IPA is alright, the best IPA I feel is made by Stone. Ive tried many many IPA's and for me at least, they either make it too malty (like alesmith and 3 floyds) or not hoppy enough. Stone is just a perfectly refreshing beer that has the perfect amount of hops and malt. However Marin has a really good wheat beer, I dont remember what its called but its like 9-10% and quite delicious

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Re: The Seasonal Beer Thread [Re: TheCow]
    #7519734 - 10/15/07 02:33 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TheCow said:
Marin's IPA is alright, the best IPA I feel is made by Stone. Ive tried many many IPA's and for me at least, they either make it too malty (like alesmith and 3 floyds) or not hoppy enough. Stone is just a perfectly refreshing beer that has the perfect amount of hops and malt. However Marin has a really good wheat beer, I dont remember what its called but its like 9-10% and quite delicious

Stone does make a great IPA. I like the arrogant bastard ale too.

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#7519838 - 10/15/07 02:59 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

man i miss american beer so much. Honestly Germans make shitty beer, I dont care how much flak I get for saying that, I have no idea how they got the reputation for making good beer. I was at the Oktoberfest last weekend and the beer there just wasn't that special. I mean it was well drinkable and not too filling, but nothing notable. The Belgians make decent beer, but most of their beers are too sweet and too similar. However at a Belgian beer festival I did try a bunch of smaller brewery beers that were pretty excellent, actually used hops (a novel idea in non-britain europe) and had immense character. The best beer in europe is definitely located in England, and I think America has them beat by a large margin

Edited by TheCow (10/15/07 03:00 PM)

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: The Seasonal Beer Thread [Re: TheCow]
    #7519867 - 10/15/07 03:06 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Blue moon's, full moon is very good.

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: The Seasonal Beer Thread [Re: Brainiac]
    #7520993 - 10/15/07 08:58 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Huge fan of this:

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/christmasale.htm
An annual release that's been brewed since 1975. Every year the alcohol and recipe are different. The recipe is also top secret, so they make no mention of what goes into the beer. I've only been of legal drinking age for a few years, but 2004 was the best IMO. 2005 OSA has gotten a lot better with a little age.

Offlinea_guy_named_ai
Stranger
Male
Re: The Seasonal Beer Thread [Re: daussaulit]
    #7521286 - 10/15/07 10:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #7521557 - 10/15/07 10:49 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

the king of beers

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: The Seasonal Beer Thread [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #7521621 - 10/15/07 11:07 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Were talking about real beer.

Not, piss bottled and sold as beer.. :crankey:

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #7522243 - 10/16/07 07:46 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Vancouver Island Brewery (Hermans!) and Galliano Island Brewery are the best beer i have tasted anywhere...usa, canada, china, taiwan, japan....beats them all.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #7524118 - 10/16/07 04:21 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Brainiac said:
Were talking about real beer.

Not, piss bottled and sold as beer.. :crankey:

and that's not a seasonal beer.

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Re: The Seasonal Beer Thread [Re: daussaulit]
    #7532604 - 10/18/07 06:50 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

So i got off work today and stopped at the store and tried this. if you can find it try it, its smooth, and flavorfull but i cant place the spices. If you try it and have an idea let me know.

7-10

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

Invisibleadrug

#7540614 - 10/20/07 07:58 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Blue Moon, Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale. Its surprisingly delicious.

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: The Seasonal Beer Thread [Re: adrug]
    #7551081 - 10/23/07 02:23 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

St. Arnold's Oktoberfest

Description

A full bodied, malty, slightly sweet beer celebrating the Autumn harvest. This rich beer has a round malt flavor and an above average alcohol content perfect for a cool fall evening.

Saint Arnold Oktoberfest is best consumed at 40° Fahrenheit.

Recommended pairings: Crispy potato cakes, roasted turkey, & spicy sausage.

Wins

Bronze Medal, Great American Beer Festival, Scottish Ale, 2001
Bronze Medal, Great American Beer Festival, Scottish Ale, 2000
Silver Medal, World Beer Championship, Oktoberfest, 1998

Check out our complete list of wins.

Release Date

August 15

Ingredients

Malt: We blended three different types of Munich-style malt to provide a rich caramel flavor.

Hops: We use two central European noble hop varieties in this beer: Czech Saaz and Hallertauer.

Water

Yeast

Specifications

Original Gravity: 1.061 (15.5° Plato)

Color: Red-Amber

Bitterness: 24 IBU

Alcohol Content
By Weight: 4.8%
By Volume: 6.0%

History and Trivia

Debuted August 1997.

This style was originally brewed in Bavaria to celebrate the fall harvest. Then along came the wedding of the Crown Prince Leopold and his wife, Therese, and the brewers, sucking up to the royals, claimed that they had brewed this beer especially for their wedding. And what a wedding it was. It lasted two weeks. The wedding, that is. The marriage lasted longer. We're not talking about Britney Spears here.

The wedding was such fun that they decided to celebrate it every year and thus was born Oktoberfest. Technically, the Oktoberfest celebration is the two weeks that end with the first Sunday in October, thus most of the event occurs during September. But Septemberfest just didn't have a good ring to it, we guess.

The Oktoberfest was developed to be a lager recipe as is traditional for this style. Once we had settled on a final recipe, made with lager yeast, we decided to make a test batch with our house ale yeast for shits and giggles. When it came time to do our blind tasting to choose our beer, the ale version won by a large margin. And the ale took only two weeks to make versus seven weeks for the lager. Tastes better, brews faster, easy decision! The ale won out.

Upon release, we had many knowledgable people come up and tell us what a great lager we had brewed. When we told them it was an ale, they would suddenly start telling us how it tasted too fruity and was wrong for the style. These are people that you have to resist the urge to slap.

In the early days, our recipe development program went like this:
First, we would do however many homebrews it took to get to a point where we were happy with the recipe ourselves.
Second, we would invite people to come to the brewery and we would conduct a blind tasting. We would use two or three of our test brews and two or three commercial examples. These became family affairs--Kevin and Brock shuttling out tasting sets to people and Brock's wife Karen in the kitchen cleaning glasses for the next round. We don't know why we didn't think of using plastic cups. Fortunately, the results of these tastings always confirmed our instincts. We're not sure what we would have done if they hadn't.

In August 2002, we were filtering our first batch of Oktoberfest when we noticed it wasn't the right color; it was too light. We tasted it; it didn't taste right either. But it tasted good. But different. It turns out our maltster mislabeled some bags of grain and we didn't catch it during the grinding. Thus, we ended up with a batch of off-spec Oktoberfest. Our first thought was to dump it. But everybody who sampled it thought it tasted really good. So instead we sent out an email telling everyone we had a batch of off-spec Oktoberfest that still tasted really good although different. The result was everybody rushed out to get the off-spec batch and then bought some of the properly brewed Oktoberfest as well. It was an unintentional success, and since we explained the problem at the outset, our customers actually enjoyed the experience

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Re: The Seasonal Beer Thread [Re: Fraggin]
    #7564608 - 10/26/07 08:21 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

So i went to BevMo today and picked up alot of seasonal brews. 3 different pumkin ales. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Alaskan Winter Ale brewed with Spruce tips, and a couple 24oz bottles of Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale brewed with fresh hops instead of dry or pellet hops.

Im stocked up for a couple months. I might make one more BevMo run before the end of the season to pick up some cases to sit on.

Reviews will be posted as i try them.

Happy Holidays!

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

Edited by sui (10/26/07 09:03 PM)

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

#7564748 - 10/26/07 09:02 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Si i drank one of the Shpyard Pumpkin Head. Its light and flavorfull, with a hint of pumpkin pie. MMMM soooooo good.

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

#7567080 - 10/27/07 03:33 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

OHHHHH MAN!

I just tried this years Harvest Ale by Sierra Nevada. Its brewed with fresh hops. Holy Shit this beer is good! Its my new favorite. I gotta stock up on a bunch before it leaves the shelves.

Check this beer out guys!

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates